So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Nigel

Re: So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Post by Nigel »

LadyM wrote:Never broken anything even though I've ridden and hunted horses all my life. Maybe shouldn't have said anything as my biking career isn't long underway ooopsi! :woohoo:
I`d chose a bike over a horse any time, bloody dangerous animals, they should ban em :whistle: :laugh:
LadyM

Post by LadyM »

Depends who's riding it! either one lol :P
900Fantrider

Post by 900Fantrider »

Installed this bunch of Titanium a year ago today. Walked out of Hospital the next day pain free and never had a twinge from it!
The only downside is it seems to conduct cold, no matter how much I wear, I`ll live with that.
20160526_102612_2017-04-28.jpg
20160526_102612_2017-04-28.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
20160526_102715.jpg
20160526_102715.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

big al wrote:..........
Happy days, and my pal up stairs still loves me. Apparently I've still got eight left. (thumbs)
Al
I think he loves me too. Not sure how many I have left:-

Age 11. Compound fracture of femur following hitting a car on my pushbike. Bone exited rear of leg and nearly bled out on pavement. 5 months in traction, out for 2 weeks then back in for 2 months. Had to re-learn which way was up as my brain forgot ! Still got the second plate in after falling over and bending the 1st.

Age 18. Fractured tib and fib. Not paying attention to the road and chatting to my pillion. Ran into a bollard. – Tosser.

Age 23. Near drowning. Military diving accident. Suit failure at the bottom of Southampton harbour. All alone, no comms and wearing lead boots. Very scary.

Age 28. Motorcycle accident, SMIDSY. Crushed chest (11 ribs broken) and fractured elbow. Collapsed lung.

Age 30. SCUBA gear failure at 95 feet. Full text book buddy rescue..... when he funally realised I was about to drown!

Age 32. Military parachuting accident (sort of). Buddy (!) pushed and span me around as we jumped out. Span like top in the air and the chute deployed just before impact.

Age 36. Shot in face and back by IRA. Ducked and first bullet gave me a new parting, Second one hit my spine and exited my shoulder. Paralysed me for about 15 minutes and second collapsed lung. 10 years to the day that my Dad passed on. Spooky.

Age 38. Military parachuting accident. Landed on my kit and the sharp end of my rifle. Missed my anus by 2”. Bent the SLR barrel.

60 now and still here to annoy people (thumbs)
What do you recon ?
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I reckon your middle name must be Lucky or maybe Unlucky :laugh:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Old Git Ray wrote:
big al wrote:..........
Happy days, and my pal up stairs still loves me. Apparently I've still got eight left. (thumbs)
Al
I think he loves me too. Not sure how many I have left:-

Age 11. Compound fracture of femur following hitting a car on my pushbike. Bone exited rear of leg and nearly bled out on pavement. 5 months in traction, out for 2 weeks then back in for 2 months. Had to re-learn which way was up as my brain forgot ! Still got the second plate in after falling over and bending the 1st.

Age 18. Fractured tib and fib. Not paying attention to the road and chatting to my pillion. Ran into a bollard. – Tosser.

Age 23. Near drowning. Military diving accident. Suit failure at the bottom of Southampton harbour. All alone, no comms and wearing lead boots. Very scary.

Age 28. Motorcycle accident, SMIDSY. Crushed chest (11 ribs broken) and fractured elbow. Collapsed lung.

Age 30. SCUBA gear failure at 95 feet. Full text book buddy rescue..... when he funally realised I was about to drown!

Age 32. Military parachuting accident (sort of). Buddy (!) pushed and span me around as we jumped out. Span like top in the air and the chute deployed just before impact.

Age 36. Shot in face and back by IRA. Ducked and first bullet gave me a new parting, Second one hit my spine and exited my shoulder. Paralysed me for about 15 minutes and second collapsed lung. 10 years to the day that my Dad passed on. Spooky.

Age 38. Military parachuting accident. Landed on my kit and the sharp end of my rifle. Missed my anus by 2”. Bent the SLR barrel.

60 now and still here to annoy people (thumbs)
What do you recon ?
So don`t parachute, ride bikes, join the forces or enter water and you will be OK :laugh:
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Well after all the statements here I think the evidence is overwhelming. Riding motorbikes is not nearly as dangerous as crashing motorbikes ;)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mac 60 wrote:Well after all the statements here I think the evidence is overwhelming. Riding motorbikes is not nearly as dangerous as crashing motorbikes ;)
Nah, biking in general is for big fat girlies. I cracked a fingernail yesterday while sawing some wood, now that's the real true grit! :laugh:

I'll get me coat!

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

Hows it going now a week later or so mate..??

I stumbled across this thread (excuse the pun..!!) and couldn't resist reading through it , it all sounds familiar and made me wince a little. Here's mine in brief but only the ones with metal involved..!! 1984 Tib & fib Maico 490 MX race never even came off bike just leg went under bottom rails. Plated with 10 screws removed 2 years later. 2012 same tib & fib spiral fracture, speedway bike slide school accident, now have titanium rod down centre, all four screws snapped through early weight baring now removed. 2016 new big toe knuckle fitted.
What info your probably wanting to hear is recovery times and post accident problems etc.. I wouldn't like to put a timescale on your particular break because i'm a sparky not a surgeon but your talking 8 to 12 weeks at least before your walking again properly, time is the only healer i'm afraid so bloody well milk the insurance and get your feet up bud. One thing to watch out for is nerve damage. My 2012 break and the toe job both left nerve damage. The leg break has a big area of numbness where the scalpel went in for the upper screws and I also get the early weather warning bonus issue. The toe knuckle has taken 7 months to settle down but the nerve damage kicks in from time to time and is a killer..!!
I hope this gives you some insight.
Cheers Flipdog
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

It's OK thanks, very little pain so I think I do have that nerve damage. I know all the ligaments and tendons are torn, the doc told me that, but getting information out of an NHS doctor is like getting blood out of a stone.

Good to hear you go your plate removed. I know in six months I should be able to get the long screw that is holding the ankle together removed, and hopefully then get some mobility back in the ankle. If not I think I'll be buying a DCT Crosstourer!

Some pics!

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “THE PUB”