So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Many bikers get injuries that require metal plates and screws, so what have you got and most importantly I guess how do you get on with it day to day.

Playing football with my son yesterday I went down sideways on my ankle, it went snap, and left me lying on the ground with my ankle sticking out the side of my foot.

I have separated the fibia and the tibia and the ankle is hanging loose. I'm going into surgery today to get a metal plate and screws put in.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
bonanza

Re: So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Post by bonanza »

Not me, but my wife slipped last year and snapped tib and fib and dislocated alsorts of bits(not a nice sight). She had an external frame on for 9 days until the swelling went down enough to put 2 screws in one side and a plate and 9 screws in the other. 10 days in hospital altogether.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I've got lead in me pencil :whistle:
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Broke ankle nearly 20 years ago. Non union fracture right Talus. Held together with two screws.
Restricted movement unable to run properly. Sole of foot has a constant tingle best I can describe is to say its like going to beach and ending up with grains of sand in your shoes. Some nerve damage have been offered more surgery but there is no promise it will cure it. Might actually make it worse No Thankyou.

Ankle feels a lot weaker than other and looser feels like foot might fall off :woohoo:

Jumping down from a height can send sharp pain all the way up my leg.

Oh and today my ankle really aches, because rain is expected on Monday. My own two day forecast.

Do your physio and just get on with it.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

johnnyboxer wrote:Sorry to hear that, so easy to do

How long is recovery ?

Not much biking for you this summer
I don't know, 6 weeks before the cast will come off and I can put any weight on it, so I'm watching some wheelchairs on eBay as I'm not patient enough and too heavy to use crutches effectively. I'd rather just zip about on wheels and have my two hands free to do what I want to do.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

My right arm is pretty messed up after a bike accident. Ive about 50% movement overall but i can only reach up as far as my ear. Iam pretty much in some degree of pain every day trying to sleep is when i hurts most and my evangelical christian boss saw it as an oppertunity to give me a big pay cut {God wills it lol} Good news is riding a bike is less painful than driving a car and i can still wipe my own arse. (thumbs)
Hope you,ve a quick recovery
phonepics025.jpg
phonepics025.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Sorry to hear that, so easy to do

How long is recovery ?

Not much biking for you this summer
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

zimtim wrote:Broke ankle nearly 20 years ago. Non union fracture right Talus. Held together with two screws.
Restricted movement unable to run properly. Sole of foot has a constant tingle best I can describe is to say its like going to beach and ending up with grains of sand in your shoes. Some nerve damage have been offered more surgery but there is no promise it will cure it. Might actually make it worse No Thankyou.

Ankle feels a lot weaker than other and looser feels like foot might fall off :woohoo:

Jumping down from a height can send sharp pain all the way up my leg.

Oh and today my ankle really aches, because rain is expected on Monday. My own two day forecast.

Do your physio and just get on with it.
Thanks for being frank! Appreciated.
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

In 1987 I landed badly from a jump and the foot peg hit my knee, badly bruised but it didn't break the skin, for the next couple of weeks my knee kept locking out painfully. Xray showed nothing so had an arthroscopy which showed a fair chunk of my femoral condyle had been chipped off. Four weeks Later and i had three herbert screws in my femoral medial condyle. A further 2 weeks in hospital and 7 months off work wasn't great, and my career in the marines was over before it began... But my physio was an ex PT instructor in the paras and twice a week ruined me( so to speak) 30yrs on and i still have very little issues with my knee really and i think a lot of that is down to the effort i put into my rehab and an awesome NHS physio. (thumbs)

Also done a toe and my coccyx which gives me much more trouble :unsure: :unsure:
Scanlan

Post by Scanlan »

Fell over a piece of kit at work 30 months ago. Stuck my arms out automatically and my left arm took the all of my weight (nigh on 16 stone). I smashed my radius into my elbow joint causing then end of the radius to splinter into 5 pieces - in the operation to repair it the surgeon threw one piece away ( I like to think they gave it to the hospital dog)and screwed three back on and glued the other. I also managed to virtually tear the ligament off the elbow joint. That was screwed back on also. I now have a "short" arm and cannot rotate my left palm so that it faces upwards.
Oh and after I had damaged myself I then had to drive 90 miles back to my depot as I was the only one headed that way!

Return to “THE PUB”