So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
macdee

Re: So who has bits of metal screwed in them?

Post by macdee »

I have broken my left femur,pelvis left arm
Shoulder in one crash
The plates pins screws are great at getting you back into closest position as you were before your accident
As it close to you joint it also helps to reduce the chances of arthritis
I had my metal remove about 18 months after the crash as they did give a lot of pain due to constant Rubbing of the soft tissue
For long term results I would go for metal work all the time
Do the best you can to minimise the chance of infection from your open wound an in good time get stuck into physio

My wife had a similar break as yourself last year and the 6" plate and 9 screws need to come out as it is causing to much pain
But on the upside the surgery was a great success
I have seen the X-ray and the bone was set perfectly

Good luck with your op
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

currently sat, 1 week post op for surgery to my left shoulder, following a fall whilst walking the dogs that severed the ligaments connecting the shoulder and collar bones. was in hospital three nights. they opened and then wired in a figure-of-eight. i've also got a titanium hip replacement, stents in the heart and a silicone and metal scleral buckle round my left eye, following a detached retina.
with the 'major'hip op, i went in and under at 2,30 on tuesday and was home 25 hours later (northumberland fast-track scheme), was walking without sticks in a week and driving a week after that. this shoulder injury,though seemingly less serious (?) is far, far worse.Constant pain,no pain killers even touch the pain (even iv andinjections) and I can't use my arm (hence typing!). early physio is a killer.
points are, each person/injury/recovery is different. I looked at a lot of videos on youtube, where most people/places take it steady, with gradual physio and a sling to support for 8 weeks minimum. in germany, they started physio on day one and told me not to use a sling! It's killing me to be honest, never had pain like this - we're talking 'just leave the bottle, then bring me a gun after half-an-hour'!
So, no idea what the long term will be for biking. right now, this moment, i don't give a monkey's, and just want the pain to ease.
good luck with it whatever happens.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I went over the handlebars of my motorbike 38 years ago and it landed on my shin.I've now got a steel plate and three screws.I was told at the time that they would probably come out later if it started to cause problems but it has never affected me unless I bang my shin against something and hit a screw,then it hurts.
Keep up the physio.I was hobbling around on crutches all the time I had a full leg cast on but even then when the cast came off my leg was just skin and bone.
big al

Post by big al »

Broke my neck 30 years ago, got three wedges from c2 to c5 in my vertebrae, went through my throat to access said break left me with loss of feeling in right hand and fingers, and a constant feeling of a sweet stuck in my throat, needing to swallow constantly. Then if that wasn't enough had a car crash on pontabraham roundabout 15 years ago at the end of the M4 ended up me cracking c6 and a blood clot around c3, c4 stuck in hospital for 12 weeks waiting for crack to heal and clot to disperse.
and the buggers even cut the roof off my cavalier and made it into a convertible :whistle: .
but hey back on bikes.
Happy days, and my pal up stairs still loves me. Apparently I've still got eight left. (thumbs)
Al
reedro72

Post by reedro72 »

Sitting with a broken fibula now , happened out riding last fri 11am trail riding mate didn't see me turning right and run into me , took boot off and gaffer taped tight from ankle to knee as could stand on it and rode rest of day until 4 was sore but not un rideable , went X-ray at hospital and fibula broken 6 inches up from ankle , surgeon offered me pins or let it heal , I opted for letting it heal as had a mate that had infection in his , have been up to the physiotherapy center in Ipswich this week and had 3 back to back sessions of pulse magnetic therapy and laser on it as recommended by a few mates and now awaiting further X-rays in 2 weeks time , not allowed to weight bare on it , anybody else had it done with any success ?.

Nick
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Plate just above my right wrist thanks to a SMIDSY. Shattered, then had removed, the head of my left radius. Somewhat bizarre accident playing squash when I managed to turn my arm into a telescope. Yes, we can manage without that bit.
Many, many tooth fillings too but I guess they don't count.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Came off the bike and dislocated my shoulder 4 years ago. Tore the Supraspinitus and infraspinatus off the rotator cuff, Hills sachs lesion on the humerous, fractured the humerous and elbow, tore the long head bicep off (couldn't repair) and have a Glenoid like crazy paving . Everything held together with expensive binder twine and peak inserts.
Now 50% less strength on dominant side
Last year I had a Total Knee Replacement. Suffered with OA for years then an accident at work properly destroyed it so was told not to return until I had had the TKR (HR dep were superb)

No longer have an ACL , and a lax outer LCL which can make for epic fails when it occasionally buckles (usually a head butt on the cross trainer :laugh: ) which allows the knee to unhinge too far and hit the fibula head and disturbs the peronaeal nerve (still can't walk downstairs normally )but getting stronger
10400715_987819524598544_3484199411916451700_n.jpg
10400715_987819524598544_3484199411916451700_n.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
12809518_990347391012424_7297044934487198297_n.jpg
12809518_990347391012424_7297044934487198297_n.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
12987085_1016914628355700_238936885872673519_n.jpg
12987085_1016914628355700_238936885872673519_n.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Bloody hell we'll be able to weigh some of you buggers in for scrap when the time comes!!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

lancashirelad wrote:Bloody hell we'll be able to weigh some of you buggers in for scrap when the time comes!!!
:laugh:
I nearly spat my coffee out reading that :laugh:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

scan00025.jpg
scan00025.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
19 years ago compound fracture of Tib and broken Fib, 5 months with external fixator and three different plasters over the next 5 months, actually I could feel where the tib broke when I was walking about today :huh:
Picos mountains, on MTB, head on into the front of a 4x4, combined impact speed of 40+ mph :sick: busted wrist and dent in top tube of bike frame where the bars whipped round and impacted wrist into frame, big dent in bonnet of 4x4 when my head impacted and a bloody good headache :laugh:

Return to “THE PUB”