It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Philiptigerrice

Re: It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I get very annoyed with the NUMPTIES who bang on about May not being elected somehow.

This is NOT the USA.

This is not a Presidential Campaign.

Its basic shizz.

You vote for a PARTY by voting for a member of their team in your area (a local MP)

Whichever team gets the mostest MPs is the winners.

Then they choose their leader (or beforehand usually)

You do not vote for a leader - you vote for a local MP. That is all.

Jeez
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Philiptigerrice

Ooh, that sounded ranty didnt it :laugh:

Anyways - I think this election is far more about shutting down Sturgeon than anything else

The SNP aren't in a good place. Dugdale has hammered Sturgeon recently and certainly- i'd say that more than half the lads at work who voted Yes last time in IndyRef1 woyld vote against her now...

Thing is, once the SNP has no majority they can't claim to have a mandate.

I also think that we'll see an ENORMOUS attack on the SNP from London...
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The basis of my post is you can't keep trying to change a result by repeated attempts to undermine it.
Yes, the referendum was incredibly badly worded but, it was what it was. Enough great minds assessed the wording before it was approved.
I only said 'the people' and 'the people' voted by majority, to leave the EU. That is democracy. Trying to find ways round obeying the result is not democracy, it's sour grapes amongst other words I can't think of for now :(

If the referendum had gone the other way, I doubt there would be this much fuss. I would certainly have, albeit grumpily, accepted it and hoped our faceless MEPs pulled their fingers out and looked after our interests better.

Every MP who is in an area that voted leave should abide by their electors decision and supported the majority in parliament (likewise in the remain areas).

What would the remainers' opinion be if we had voted to stay but the next year was spent trying to change the result?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Philiptigerrice

beautifully put (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

But that is what happened. We were in the eu, we have been for decades. I haven't known the UK to not be in the EU, and I don't want it any other way. If you are saying we can't change what was voted for because the vote is democratic, then we should be staying in because voting to leave is the same as us now changing our minds.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Philiptigerrice

As much as I hugely respect your point of view, it misses the point that what we voted for all those decades ago, was the Common Market (& France fecked us off!) lol

Thats not what we have now. It has changed beyond all acceptable recognition.

To continually natter and nag (as mainy remainers are doing) that we should have a go again is just offensive to democracy.

It is NOT the same thing at all. Its pedantic semantics, and the argument hold no water.
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Sorry Andy, that makes no sense to me.
And, with respect, your position is a particularly minority one in that you live and work in the EU so not exactly representative. However, you are just as entitled to your opinion.

Oddly, husband and wife neighbours of mine have just been offered teaching jobs in Cordoba and they are even selling up their house here.
Personally the selling up and losing their foothold in the UK is totally mad but, with both of them being heads of department, they can't exactly be stupid so must surely have thought it through properly. They are of an age where I couldn't second guess their original vote.

Ignore the rabid enthusiast and the deep doom monger and we get a natural middle ground that, I am certain, will give a decent result for all parties.

PS: I also only voted for the common market. NOT for comtrol bu Europe over us.

Two things I am sure about though is that there is very little chance, if any, of being part of the single market but the alternative is still palatable after the willie waving is over And that all those living amd working legitimately in Europe or the UK at the time of the referendum will be allowed to stay.
I could be wrong but it's how I feel it will run.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

On that basis, nothing is the same now as it was 40 years ago. Everything evolves, it's decades of weak leaders, and a populous who didn't care to push their EMP for EU reform, media and corporate lies that has led to this.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Or it could be rabid federalism that is abhorrent to us.
Evolution doesn't happen in a few months - that is knee jerk reaction.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Philiptigerrice wrote:I get very annoyed with the NUMPTIES who bang on about May not being elected somehow.

Then they choose their leader (or beforehand usually)
The party didn't choose or vote for May, she got in by default because Leadsom announced her withdrawal and nobody else was left in the race. She is not elected by anybody, either by the electorate by proxy via voting for their MP, or by her own party.

You maybe want to revise who you are calling a Numptie.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “THE PUB”