It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Africa John

Re: It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Post by Africa John »

AlanHolt wrote:So in or out of the eu, brexiteers will still be ruled by an unelected leader!
But if we don't like Blair or May we give their party a right good kicking at the next election. Same can't be said of that cock womble Junckers or that previous odious fat bastard Bannermann

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I think most people mainly vote either on moral values or on perceived financial benefits.

Thus I have always thought it does a Country a disservice to allow nationals that have chosen to live abroad the right to vote in elections in their native countries.
Those looking at financial security as the main decison making factor are highly likely to vote with regard to how it effects their position in their adopted country with little concern and/or current affinity for/with the positions of people remaining, in other words people living in a reality they may well be out of touch with.

I find it hard to swallow when someone who spends large periods living elsewhere thinks he knows what is best back here, I profer that he/she does not.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The reason expats are still allowed to vote is because living in a foreign country for a period of time does not guarantee that you can stay there forever. As I've mentioned in other threads, here in Spain, you can't apply for citizenship until you have been resident for 10 years. To be resident, you must meet certain criteria. If you don't meet the criteria, you must wait 5 years until being considered resident. So it could be 15 years before a Brit can become a Spanish citizen. Hence why you are allowed to vote for 15 years living abroad, unless you officially emigrate. At any point within that time, you are fully entitled to return to the UK, you remain a British subject and so should be entitled to vote on matters which still affect you. Brexit is a prime example of something that could have a dramatic affect on expats who are living abroad temporarily.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Africa John

It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Post by Africa John »

People leave the UK for a better life abroad so are not suffering from the impact of immigration then tell us that we cannot choose to address the issue here because it might spoil their lifestyle abroad.

You couldn't write this shit!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Government policy allows mass immigration, and the majority of people voted for conservative who allow it. On that basis, you could say that people want mass immigration in the same way we ate told the people want brexit. I've said before, the UK could have a different immigration policy if it wanted to. Labour and conservative parties for decades have welcomed mass immigration, if you voted for them, you encouraged it.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

If you sent back the EU nationals who currently live in the UK, and then brought back the Brit's who are currently living in other EU countries. The population would reduce by 1.1 million. But given there are more births than deaths, at the current rate, the population would be the same in just 8 years time. That doesn't allow for any non-EU immigration increase.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mike54 wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:It's a clever way of giving the public a second referendum. If one party promises to remain, that party will win. May wasn't elected as the countries leader by the people, and 52% of the people don't want to be ruled by unelected people, this is what the brexiteers wanted, democracy, sovereignty and us remoaners get our chance to overthrow brexit with what I feel is a 2nd referendum.
The lib dems are already doing that, and they are not going to win.

and FYI, I am rather tired of saying this, but in the UK constitution the people vote for the PARTY they want, not the leader - we are not a republic. The party chooses its leader, the people DO NOT. So please, enough of the nonsense about not voting for brown, not voting for may, its totally irrelevant because we do not vote for the leader. Clear enough I hope.
The party did not choose May.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi I am not sure that I know of anyone personally in the UK who is 'suffering' the effects of immigration. Financially immigrants are a massive net benefit, particularly those from the EU. Our farming industry, food processing industry, public transport system, NHS and care system would be devastated if the migrants left tomorrow. 12% of the employees in our manufacturing industry are immigrants. Not to mention the massive cultural and culinary gains. We have a large number of empty shops and more recently pubs which have been turned in thriving businesses by immigrants. England would be a different country without immigrants but it would be financially and culturally poorer. If all the expat pensioners who are now living in the EU return we will be even worse off.
Cheers Jak
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Most sane people don't object to positive immigration where they contribute to the local or national economy.
The objection comes from uncontrolled immigration where any old dosser is entitled to entry. There should be a valid reason to be here and if it's fruit picking to engineering, if they are needed because their is a local shortfall, then that 's fine by me.

And I wouldn't raise your thought process in those areas or schools where the metaphorical 'British' (and I choose that carefully) have been reduced to a minority compared to recent immigrants. We don't have that problem here but there are plenty of areas where I understand Brits feel a minority race and English isn't even the majority language. And I don't read any newspaper, let alone the Mail.

A bit like the English speaking ghettos in Spain etc where it seems like there is no intention to become part of the local native community. I find that as insulting as incomers here keeping totally to their own people and language rather than integrating.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

DavidS wrote: A bit like the English speaking ghettos in Spain etc where it seems like there is no intention to become part of the local native community. I find that as insulting as incomers here keeping totally to their own people and language rather than integrating.
Theres a lot of that where I live. Some Brits have lived here for 16 years and can barely order a coffee in Spanish, whereas in just 2 years, I find myself able to converse on most topics in either Spanish or Catalan. My pronunciation is far from perfect due to a Yorkshire accent and a short tongue, but I am understood and theres very few instances where I need to ask for help speaking the language.

Return to “THE PUB”