It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: It's going to be a long few weeks!!!

Post by -Ralph- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 am

Spike941 wrote:So if the Lib-Dems get voted in with an overwhelming majority on a 'revoking the activation of article 50 mandate pledge', would that be undemocratic in the eyes of the then hypothetical reduced numbers of Leave Voters, or anyone else for that matter? Just wondering, as will it not boil down to a hard leave, soft leave, remain, three way vote with other campaign pledges going unheard by many of the voting public? Obviously not including the well informed subscribers to his forum here of course.
No of course it wouldn't be undemocratic, it would just be an indication that the country over the space of a year had changed their mind.

Don't forget 13 million voters didn't turn out for the referendum, many of those because they didn't think Leave was a real risk. Now they know it is happening unless they act, maybe they'll get off their arses and all go vote Lib Dem.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 am

Jeez...

Can you imagine a Lib Dem Govt?!

And you think Brexit is a risk?!

:laugh:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)

petecam

Post by petecam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm

DavidS wrote:It's all down to 'power' and those who want to do it.
How many genuinely good PMs have there been in the last 100 years?
Work your way back through the years and it makes sorry reading.
Yes exactly... our governments have got successively more rotten since Maggie arrived in 79. Its all about money and short term gain, "Im alright jack so f*ck the rest". It shows how rotten this country has become when being a good person or a liberal is seen as a bad thing :dry:

If only we could be in an organization where we got together with other countries, pooled wealth and ideas. If only there was a way we could have a higher power keep the dirty rats of Westminster under check and did things for the good of the people. You know like harmonized working conditions, harmonized safety and environmental standards. Maybe even trade freely? What at step forward such a "union" would be for mankind (thumbs)

petecam

Post by petecam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Philiptigerrice wrote:Jeez...

I can, it might be alright.... the only thing worse than us having another Conservative Government would be a UKIP one.

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Philiptigerrice wrote:Jeez...

And you think Brexit is a risk?!

:laugh:
That would be quite a side effect, but it's only for 4 years. I'm a bit hesitant to say it'll never happen, even though I don't think it will, because votes have surprised everyone recently. Rather see Farron as PM than Corbyn TBH.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm

petecam wrote:
Yes exactly... our governments have got successively more rotten since Maggie arrived in 79. Its all about money and short term gain, "Im alright jack so f*ck the rest". It shows how rotten this country has become when being a good person or a liberal is seen as a bad thing :dry:

If only we could be in an organization where we got together with other countries, pooled wealth and ideas. If only there was a way we could have a higher power keep the dirty rats of Westminster under check and did things for the good of the people. You know like harmonized working conditions, harmonized safety and environmental standards. Maybe even trade freely? What at step forward such a "union" would be for mankind (thumbs)
There is one huge flaw in your idea. The Unelected and non-removable European Commission who control everything without a chance of the members of the group objecting to their methods or dictats. They can't even agree on a place to work from so shift backwards and forwards at our expense to keep the French happy. A bit like the UK changing parliament from London to Newcastle every month. If that's their best logic I think I'll pass thanks.

The UK and the USA divided by a common language.
The EU is a wannabe single state divided by 27 different interests.
2019 Triumph T120 Black and 2015 Husky FE450

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

DavidS wrote:
petecam wrote:

There is one huge flaw in your idea. The Unelected and non-removable European Commission who control everything without a chance of the members of the group objecting to their methods or dictats. They can't even agree on a place to work from so shift backwards and forwards at our expense to keep the French happy. A bit like the UK changing parliament from London to Newcastle every month. If that's their best logic I think I'll pass thanks.

A friend of mine who is all for the EU pointed out how long it would take to agree on EU laws when we leave and she said it takes an average of 3 years for the EU to agree ONE law, she missed the irony of her comment, 3 YEARS to agree ONE new law :blink: :whistle: :laugh:

Alan29

Post by Alan29 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Nigel wrote:
DavidS wrote:
petecam wrote:

A friend of mine who is all for the EU pointed out how long it would take to agree on EU laws when we leave and she said it takes an average of 3 years for the EU to agree ONE law, she missed the irony of her comment, 3 YEARS to agree ONE new law :blink: :whistle: :laugh:
Bonus.
We have quite enough laws already made by politicians looking for something to do.

petecam

Post by petecam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Theresa May claims she will negotiate the best deal for Britain with Europe. She says he's going to be tough, yet she's scared to debate with Jeremy Corbyn who she claims is incompetent. In a debate where she actually has to answer questions about the Tories record of failing the most needy in Britain she will be exposed as the charlatan she is.

Her comment that she would rather knock on doors is laughable. So she is going to chat to 55 million people to persuade them to vote Tory, hardly seems effective or good value for money and her feet will be bloody killing her in those high heels. B) Is she not aware most people own a TV ?

petecam

Post by petecam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm

DavidS wrote:

I don't think it's quite how you paint it, but even so I'd still rather have the above status quo than for us to leave the EU. Scotland I'm sure will go its own way and England will drift further to the right. We'll end up being Donald Trump's bitch and unless your a well off Tory the rest of us will just end up working harder for less with probably less rights and protection. It's a shite state of affairs. I do really hope I'm wrong and maybe things will drift on ok? But either way I no longer like the political tone and the division since the referendum. But hey ho, think I'll get back to bikes and not stress myself about it (thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”