severed ligaments - knowledge, advice .... sympathy

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mosel Bikes

severed ligaments - knowledge, advice .... sympathy

Post by Mosel Bikes »

fell down a 2 meter embankment yesterday,whilst walking dogs, onto a road, ambulance, hospital, completely severed both ligaments connecting the shoulder bone to the collar bone. have surgery on wednesday and a couple of nights stay over .
can't use left arm at all and very painful.
anyone knowledgeable or experienced know how long i'll be out of commission in biking terms.
also, had plans to take bikes to uk and bring some to germany, so if anyone is heading this way, has space and is interested in making some money, get in touch by pm.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Stewie

Re: severed ligaments - knowledge, advice .... sympathy

Post by Stewie »

Oh no, have no idea how long it takes, but hope you heel up quick, (thumbs)
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

I feel for you :ohmy: I did similar sat stationary on trail bike and lost footing on wet grass down bank onto track and landed on shoulder. Mine were torn and one bone on top of other but did not need surgery. Pushed into place and strapped. Probably not what you want to hear but lots of Physio and about six months before trail riding again :( although road riding a bit sooner bumps and braking the most painful.
Good luck with the recovery keep it moving as much as possible
jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

Bad news, that sucks!

All the best with it! (thumbs) Take it slow, It's 2.5 years since I damaged my shoulder and 18months since I had shoulder surgery and I still have pain if I sleep on it wrong, ride the bike without warming up etc. But I'm fairly sure that's because I did too much too soon - much better to listen to the physio and rest an extra few weeks than try to get back to work/play and end up with it sore years down the line. All surgeries are different - but it took at least 5 months for mine to really feel ok riding the bike off-road.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Not sure you will be back on it this summer.

The hard part is the physio. In basic terms muscles and ligaments work with each other. You have to be very careful because muscles weaken extremely quickly from lack of use when you are out of action and it becomes easy to do further ligament damage. Ligaments take their time and if you become impatient you can end up back at zero in a moment. In more normal breaks ligaments survive and you just have to deal with weakened muscles through lack of use and you can use intense physio. But not for ligaments.

Also learn how to fall and roll if you do trip, rather than using the shoulder and arms. It has saved me a few times.

Having been to a bike buddy yesterday.....a Yamaha Serow sitting in his driveway looks just like what you need to get back on them early, not much weight.

Mine got damaged 2 1/2 years ago and it's not right and won't be. However a complete re-evaluation on how I do things has been enormous help. I learnt to use body weight for moving things but at home the garden is now almost all put to grass, can't lift heavy things down from a height, can't pull things but again using body weight works a bit, can't swim at all as the rotation function is wrecked [you use the same rotation function to dress too, try putting on T shirt or vest], car driving wrecks me but bike riding is much easier on me.

My advice is use the summer to do some bike maintenance and home stuff and concentrate on physio like your life depends on it.

Not trying to be negative, been there with a very serious accident years back and a sadistic physio friend really helped me over it. Lets just say the physio was worth it.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
cowling

Post by cowling »

Bloody hell Mike, your always in the wars, I've done ligaments in both knees on the trials bikes, the buggers take longer to heal than a break, especially pain wise, about 6 to 8 weeks before I got back on the trials bike. Also done my shoulder one bank holiday Monday, long story, ended up with one bone on the top of the other, it's still like that now, and ligament damage, I was off work 2 months with that. Sorry not what you really wanted to hear, but there it is. Hope all goes well and you make a speedy recovery.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

DOG WALKING MORE DANGEROUS, THAN BIKE RIDING :whistle:

Sorry to hear that, I did it 20 years ago, to my shoulder whilst trailriding in the Picos

Took at least 6 months to heal and ride a bike (luckily it was winter) and not fully fit for a year, took ages

Tis a bugger :ohmy:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
600+

Post by 600+ »

Sorry to hear of this!

I've got my left thumb in a cast and had surgery 2 weeks ago. Torn ligament as well on the bike.

While completely different body part I would strongly recommend seeing someone who is clued up on sport injuries - both surgeon and physio! They will be best experienced to get you back up and running asap.

Key is to follow their advice and don't be a hero
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Ask Spud, aka Redmurty, he's amazing!

What about the dogs - your's need a heck of a lot of walking!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gspod

Post by gspod »

Sorry for your trouble - hope you recover soon.

Can you be more specific with your diagnosis. Check which particular ligaments attaching which particular bones. You can ask your GP for the x-ray results - just write down the wording. The shoulder is a complex joint and recovery time from the various injuries can differ quite a lot - also surgery is not always necessary or desirable for different reasons.

Return to “THE PUB”