For the ones that never came home

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Agent Orange

Re: For the ones that never came home

Post by Agent Orange »

As a very young 20 year old Sailor (on May 19 'The Day we entered San Carlos Sound)

I was upper deck sentry on HMS Intrepid the night and most nights come to think of it, HMS Antelope went down. I can remember the noise HMS Antelope was making, below the water line, after it was hit and on fire. Blood curdling I can tell you.
Was up on Deck, when she finally gave her last gasp of breath. Got a tear in my eye now, as I type this
RIP Shipmates
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Thanks for posting Spud.
Have forwarded the link to a friend who was in the RN and fought in the Falklands
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Agent Orange wrote:As a very young 20 year old Sailor (on May 19 'The Day we entered San Carlos Sound)

I was upper deck sentry on HMS Intrepid the night and most nights come to think of it, HMS Antelope went down. I can remember the noise HMS Antelope was making, below the water line, after it was hit and on fire. Blood curdling I can tell you.
Was up on Deck, when she finally gave her last gasp of breath. Got a tear in my eye now, as I type this
RIP Shipmates
Ah you may of been Intrepid but I was Fearless :whistle: see boat crew on the Fearless chugging around san Carlos at night looking for naughty Argies on my lonesome with a big box of scarecharges (thumbs)

I took the 3 bomb disposal guys onto the Antelope and was sat under the bombs bouncing around in my nice little wooden boat whilst they check the unexploded bombs, never saw the poor bastards again

does not seem like 35 years ago

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Redmurty wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:As a very young 20 year old Sailor (on May 19 'The Day we entered San Carlos Sound)

RIP Shipmates
Ah you may of been Intrepid but I was Fearless :whistle: see boat crew on the Fearless chugging around san Carlos at night looking for naughty Argies on my lonesome with a big box of scarecharges (thumbs)

I took the 3 bomb disposal guys onto the Antelope and was sat under the bombs bouncing around in my nice little wooden boat whilst they check the unexploded bombs, never saw the poor bastards again

cheers Spud ;)
35 years passed by really fast. Am 55 in May and looking forward to a little pension boost (thumbs)
Ah the Fearless. Old ships too.
I nearly shot one of the seaboats on the first night. As I wasn't briefed properly, I was told to look out for anything moving in the water (those little two manned submarines things that the Argies were supposed to have)
If we saw something, to phone the bridge before we opened fire lol.
Next night a British submarine floated by!! Shat myself lol.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice one Spud.

If anyone wants to read a good book try this one........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diver-By-Tony ... SwpzdWtcvX

Tony was my best mate at school, I went into the RN later than him and I came out 9 months before the Faulklands started. Listening to some of the things he told me about it I consider myself to be very lucky.
one-legged adventurer
big al

Post by big al »

My thoughts are with you all.
God bless you.
Al
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

RIP....all who paid the ultimate price. Utmost respect.

(I worked with a good few RN/Army ... sterling men, watching my back and that of my buddies, very, very committed)

(thumbs)
Will It Buff Out?
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Agent Orange wrote:
Redmurty wrote:

RIP Shipmates

cheers Spud ;)
35 years passed by really fast. Am 55 in May and looking forward to a little pension boost (thumbs)
Ah the Fearless. Old ships too.
I nearly shot one of the seaboats on the first night. As I wasn't briefed properly, I was told to look out for anything moving in the water (those little two manned submarines things that the Argies were supposed to have)
If we saw something, to phone the bridge before we opened fire lol.
Next night a British submarine floated by!! Shat myself lol.
could of been me you aimed at you barstool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: could of been worse I think I killed a seal one night and I don't mean a special forces guy :blush: well it was all black and bobbed up and looked around :whistle:

It was a very close run thing Bob

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

My thoughts are with you all
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
moto al

Post by moto al »

I'm very sorry you lost friends spud ,please , please . Don't get on your soapbox again. Stick too biking .Al
moto al

Return to “THE PUB”