London Terror Attack

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
[email protected]

Re: London Terror Attack

Post by [email protected] »

IainD wrote:
SPEN wrote:
Cone wrote:
Cone wrote:Its about time all our police are properly armed. What use is a taser against a man with a gun!
Take NI for instance hand guns are standard issue over there. Why are we different
I have lived through 30 years of the IRA attacks here in NI , Yes the police need to be armed , terrorists don't give a shit about human rights or civil liberty they will kill anyone they can, We are still having attacks on the police here, there was a bomb attack on officers last night but I bet it didn't make the news on the mainland , ISIS ,IRA they are all the same and should be treated the same ,SHOOT ON SIGHT
Shoot on sight! Can you can be sure, mistakes happen, remember the chap with a table leg in a bag who was shot dead, tell that to his family.

We have a good system and a knee jerk reaction is giving in to the Terrorists who want us to live in fear.

My thoughts are with the families of those killed or injured, but my resolve to carry on my normal life is as strong as ever.
The "Bloke with the chair leg" right he was innocent of carrying a firearm, but i was living in Hackney at the time and had friends who were drinking in the pub he had came from, in the pub ( he was drunk ish ) he was mouthing off that he had "a sawn off shotgun in the bag and that he had some business to take care off" this was verified buy several locals as well as two local landlords he was known in the area for mouthing off.
not trying to belittle your argument but he had drawn attention himself, it had nothing to do shoot on sight,
is the same as when Jerry Adams said that there were SAS Death squads in N.I. Targeting IRA soldiers, well what proved that, that was in fact untrue was the he and McGuinness were still breathing, simple as that
either way if you have to pretend that you have firearms in order to intimidate people then trouble is bound to come your way, also if you want to affilate yourself to any terrorist group where innocent members of the human race are killed then in turn you forfeit all human rights end of.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

For what it's worth the emphasis on the media here was on the dignity of the British citizens' reaction to the outrage, praise for the security forces and, of course, solidarity in the face or terrorism.

Sadly, there are lots of times when I'm not proud to be British, but this isn't one of them ...

... at the same time the reaction of the Spanish government to the voluntary - and total - disarmament by ETA is an abomination, but that's going off topic.

RIP all of the victims.

Regs

Simon

PS I know there's a lot of strong feelings about Martin McGuinnes, but at least the UK had the 'statesmen' to see the job done - no hope here!
Ops heaven alone knows what to do about ISIS, etc. though ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The Spanish Biker wrote:For what it's worth the emphasis on the media here was on the dignity of the British citizens' reaction to the outrage, praise for the security forces and, of course, solidarity in the face or terrorism.

Sadly, there are lots of times when I'm not proud to be British, but this isn't one of them ...

... at the same time the reaction of the Spanish government to the voluntary - and total - disarmament by ETA is an abomination, but that's going off topic.

RIP all of the victims.

Regs

Simon

PS I know there's a lot of strong feelings about Martin McGuinnes, but at least the UK had the 'statesmen' to see the job done - no hope here!
Ops heaven alone knows what to do about ISIS, etc. though ...
That's really good to hear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

London Terror Attack

Post by -Ralph- »

I don't think police should all be armed, I don't want the scrotes committing everyday crime all arming themselves because the police are armed, but if you are guarding a place against terror attack you should be armed and trained. It's like not giving a motorcycle cop a helmet. Wouldn't worry me if all our cops patrolling transport infrastructure or public buildings were armed.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Cone

Post by Cone »

Ralph, I get your argument.

Every police officer in Northern Ireland is armed, and they have some nasty scroats over there (Alot of very nice people too! :P ). But you don't hear of huge issues happening of the police and fire arms.

I also agree that it wouldnt worry me if the police were armed, i would actually feel safer!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Apparently the guy was born in Kent and had a "good" criminal record with violence etc--known to the police--but I guess like thousands of others not thought to be a serious terrorist threat--IMHO I think we need to put a lot more effort into shutting down Extremist sites--and get behind GCHQ. In the end you will never stop the oddballs--but we can reduce the risk. What I find odd is that he managed to get into that courtyard and confront unarmed police---there must be non-lethal sprays, filled paintballs, tazers and so on that can take someone down before they get close. Shoot first (non lethal) and ask questions later.
-Ralph-

London Terror Attack

Post by -Ralph- »

Another man has just died in hospital.

-Ralph-

London Terror Attack

Post by -Ralph- »

Man held for 'driving at crowd' in Antwerp, Belgium - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39369202

IainD

Post by IainD »

[email protected] wrote:
IainD wrote:
SPEN wrote:
Cone wrote:
Cone wrote:Its about time all our police are properly armed. What use is a taser against a man with a gun!
Take NI for instance hand guns are standard issue over there. Why are we different
I have lived through 30 years of the IRA attacks here in NI , Yes the police need to be armed , terrorists don't give a shit about human rights or civil liberty they will kill anyone they can, We are still having attacks on the police here, there was a bomb attack on officers last night but I bet it didn't make the news on the mainland , ISIS ,IRA they are all the same and should be treated the same ,SHOOT ON SIGHT
Shoot on sight! Can you can be sure, mistakes happen, remember the chap with a table leg in a bag who was shot dead, tell that to his family.

We have a good system and a knee jerk reaction is giving in to the Terrorists who want us to live in fear.

My thoughts are with the families of those killed or injured, but my resolve to carry on my normal life is as strong as ever.
The "Bloke with the chair leg" right he was innocent of carrying a firearm, but i was living in Hackney at the time and had friends who were drinking in the pub he had came from, in the pub ( he was drunk ish ) he was mouthing off that he had "a sawn off shotgun in the bag and that he had some business to take care off" this was verified buy several locals as well as two local landlords he was known in the area for mouthing off.
not trying to belittle your argument but he had drawn attention himself, it had nothing to do shoot on sight,
is the same as when Jerry Adams said that there were SAS Death squads in N.I. Targeting IRA soldiers, well what proved that, that was in fact untrue was the he and McGuinness were still breathing, simple as that
either way if you have to pretend that you have firearms in order to intimidate people then trouble is bound to come your way, also if you want to affilate yourself to any terrorist group where innocent members of the human race are killed then in turn you forfeit all human rights end of.
I don't want this to overshadow the main topic, however, maybe he was drunk, maybe he was mouthing off, but he didn't have a gun. That is my point. There is a balance which he wasn't afforded. he could have been followed etc. but wasn't. If you shoot every drunk who says he has a gun and some business to do, you would probably get rid of quite a few scroats, but most of them wouldn't have a gun, and we know that.

Does everyone with a backpack become a suicide bomber, even if they say the have it full of C4; no, but where do you draw the line?

It is not easy, but I believe the current approach we have is correct and balanced. There are more armed Police than we probably think, but routine arming is not the way forward.
IainD

Post by IainD »

catcitrus wrote:Apparently the guy was born in Kent and had a "good" criminal record with violence etc--known to the police--but I guess like thousands of others not thought to be a serious terrorist threat--IMHO I think we need to put a lot more effort into shutting down Extremist sites--and get behind GCHQ. In the end you will never stop the oddballs--but we can reduce the risk. What I find odd is that he managed to get into that courtyard and confront unarmed police---there must be non-lethal sprays, filled paintballs, tazers and so on that can take someone down before they get close. Shoot first (non lethal) and ask questions later.
In the US, strangely enough, they developed a kind of gooey foam, they also have nets, great if you know they are coming, but probably too unwieldy if you don't.

Non-lethal shot is too risky if the target is moving; you could miss and a flesh wound won't stop someone on a rampage, or even a broken leg. If you need to shoot do so, as trained.

Return to “THE PUB”