Scotland and local knowledge

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Hi guys, Iam flying into Inverness on Friday 24 then on to Elgin to pick up my new to me bike (thumbs) hopefully around lunch time. Its about 300 miles from there to the ferry back to N Ireland. I have to be home Saturday around the same time. Obviously this wouldnt normally present a problem but my right arm and shoulder is pretty messed up from my off in July and although i can ride ive not been able to test myself over any distance yet. Yea i know, not clever but its to late now and to be honest i cant wait any longer to be back in the saddle. So my thinking is this. If the weather is ok i can bimble along taking in the sights with plenty of stops to rest and stretch my shoulder and get the late ferry home. Latest 2330 Cairnryan/Belfast or 2359 Cairnryan/Larne. There are earlier and if i make any of those then thats a bonus but if the weather is foul and the cold/damp does effect my shoulder/riding then split the journey and stay the night in a guest house or similar Friday night and get the early ferry Saturday morning. Iam not unfamiliar riding in Scotland but wondered about the availability of a biker friendly establishment within early morning striking distance of Cairnryan if iam in to much pain to do the journey in one go. So thats the plan and if anyone knows of such a place id be greatful for a heads up. (thumbs)
RandG

Re: Scotland and local knowledge

Post by RandG »

Can't help you with anything local to there, but and in the unlikely event you come down the east coast, you'd be more than welcome to stay at mine for the night (thumbs) though you'd still probably have 300 miles in the morning :laugh:
mabawza

Post by mabawza »

Hmm would that be a low mileage F800GS by any chance?
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

mabawza wrote:Hmm would that be a low mileage F800GS by any chance?
Spot on Ian (thumbs)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

mabawza wrote:Hmm would that be a low mileage F800GS by any chance?
Sure you know it is lol.
IainD

Post by IainD »

Depends what time you are leaving Elgin?

Inverness to Glasgow is about 4 hours allowing for a stop (maybe two with the GS's notorious seat) so Elgin will be similar.

Ayr is another 45mins or so South of Glasgow, so that would be about 5 to 5 1/2 hours total. Ayr is a good place to stop over as the port is only around an hour South of Ayr taking it easy. Your backside will be killing you by this point :whistle:

Can't recommend anywhere, however there is a Travelodge at the Heathfield roundabout (just North of Ayr), which you will pass, so no detour.

A9 has lots of roadworks and speed cameras and A77 has speed cameras south of Kilmarnock. Some of these are rear facing.

Treat the coast road south of Ayr with caution as it is full of idiots dying to get to the ferry (sometimes literally).
boatman

Post by boatman »

Kings Arms Hotel in the village of Ballantrae , would probably be just the thing for you
Heff

Post by Heff »

Good to see you haven't lost your Riding 'Mojo' Mac

Glad to see your getting back in the saddle again, but take it easy (thumbs)

I'm sure we will chat in the near future B)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

When I get to a PC I'll sort you a route. Please post up what you think of the bike.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I can't recommend anywhere either for accommodation and you maybe already know, but from Elgin head for Grantown-on-Spey on the A95.That's a good run up the Spey valley.From a mile before Grantown take the A93 to Tomintoul and on to Braemar.The same distance to Perth as the A9 and 100% more fun! (thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”