Scotland and local knowledge

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: Scotland and local knowledge

Post by -Ralph- » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Elgin to Cairnryan eh?

Welcome to the encyclopedia of Scottish roads that is my head.

You won't regret a single mile of this.

(except perhaps the Edinburgh city bypass, but it's a necessary evil because the Pentland Hills are in the way and the only way across them is on foot)

https://goo.gl/maps/xvm1p9pRYfy

On that route and leaving Elgin at lunchtime, I'd be looking at accommodation around Edinburgh, and for that you don't need recommendations really, google is your friend. Plenty of options.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully i wont need to stop over but if i do ive a couple of routes marked out now with places to stay the night if need be. I will chose which one on the day weather dependent. I will write up a short trip report on my thoughts on the bike on my return. There were a few times when the prospect of getting back on a bike seemed a long way off, so roll on Friday. (thumbs)

anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 am

take it easy paul don't forget we need to met up at Strontian at easter.

Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 am

anthony29040 wrote:take it easy paul don't forget we need to met up at Strontian at easter.
No wrys mate, looking forward to it. Will be my fourth lol

briantheb

Post by briantheb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am

sprintster wrote:I can't recommend anywhere either for accommodation and you maybe already know, but from Elgin head for Grantown-on-Spey on the A95.That's a good run up the Spey valley.From a mile before Grantown take the A93 to Tomintoul and on to Braemar.The same distance to Perth as the A9 and 100% more fun! (thumbs)
Agree great run down but if shoulder etc is really poorly then may put quite a bit of pressure on you, whereas the A9 is the pits but much less demanding.
Can I suggest that if you don't have to book the ferry in advance then make your way down to the Central Belt ( about 4 hrs from Elgin) and then reassess how you feel, at that point you'll be able to decide which ferry (2 - 2 1/2 hrs away) and duration of riding you can countenance !
Hope all goes well and you enjoy your new bike.

Steve T

Post by Steve T » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Safe trip tomorrow Mac60 & enjoy yer ride home on yer new steed (thumbs)

Had hoped to meet up with you and the man when your "doing" the deal, but work's getting in the way :(

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 am

If you check the forum let us know how you are getting on.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

briantheb

Post by briantheb » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Hope the day has gone well for you, the weather has been on your side. Perfect for a ride down through the Highlands.

moto al

Post by moto al » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:13 am

May I say ,I just hate folk pontificating re our weather in SCOTLAND , ..? . Today (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)
image_2017-03-25.jpeg
image_2017-03-25.jpeg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Gona a no dae that . (thumbs) (thumbs) Al (thumbs)
moto al

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 am

moto al wrote:May I say ,I just hate folk pontificating re our weather in SCOTLAND , ..? . Today (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)
image_2017-03-25.jpeg
Gona a no dae that . (thumbs) (thumbs) Al (thumbs)
Lived up there half my life, lived down here half my life. With a lot of to-ing and fro-ing through the years.

Al, believe me, Scottish weather is shit, even on the east coast where it's slightly better than shit, and one picture of a sunny day isn't going to change that.

The English think their weather is shit because they compare it to France and Spain, but when your a Scot living in the South East of England you don't complain about the English weather, you're just grateful for what you get each morning.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”