Cruise Control.....

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW
Posts: 3809
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Cruise Control.....

Post by SteveW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:11 am

I think cruise control is totally inappropriate for British roads. Our roads are just too busy.
I've been on some European and American toll roads that are pretty sparsely populated and I can see the point there, but not here.
Cruise control is another "driver aid" that allows the driver to relax and helps take his/her mind off the job in hand.....driving responsibly and safely.
What we get are vehicles all travelling at the same speed (typically 70-75 on a motorway) very slow laborious overtakes, drivers not varying their speeds to suit the conditions, drivers coming up too close behind, whilst waiting for a gap to pull out to over-take.....because they can't be arsed to un-set the cruise control.
"Phantom" braking.....brake lights suddenly coming on for no reason other than to un-set the cruise control, which causes uncertainty in other traffic, when if they didn't have the bloody cruise control on they'd simply lift off the throttle to regulate their speed.
I hate cruise control

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
nickoff
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:13 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by nickoff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 am

Feel better now? ;-)

Nick.

kev.t
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by kev.t » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:23 am

i love it, just keep the speed toggle under my thumb then speed up/slow down accordingly. similarly the cancel button is next to my thumb so no need for phantom braking either.
variable speed limits and roadworks are good as well. (thumbs)

boatman
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:14 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by boatman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 am

I like it. A Lot ,,,,, (thumbs)
Very easy to get a ticket by letting the speed wander up on big engined bikes (thumbs)

SteveW
Posts: 3809
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by SteveW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 am

kev.t wrote:i love it, just keep the speed toggle under my thumb then speed up/slow down accordingly. similarly the cancel button is next to my thumb so no need for phantom braking either.
variable speed limits and roadworks are good as well. (thumbs)
.....that's because you know how to use it, most car drivers are totally isolated from the fact they are actually moving and their actions impact on the lives of other people.
Texting, having arguments over their hands-free, smoking weed, watching dvd's, listening to Chris-fucking-Evans, eating a spicy chicken wrap, supping a Costa Coffee-to-go whilst sat there zombie-like with the cruise control on.
My, I have got up angry this morning :laugh:
Edit....I'm particularly referring to cruise control in cars/vans.

Oop North John
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 am
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by Oop North John » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am

Maybe in southern England and Wales it's of limited used, but when I get onto the M6 near to Preston and pass the M55 turn off then the 150 odd miles of M6 and M74 can be done without hardly touching the cruise control. I can then look out and see what's happening around me, unlike those with 9 points on their licence who have their eyes glued to the speedo.

SteveW
Posts: 3809
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by SteveW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 am

Oop North John wrote:Maybe in southern England and Wales it's of limited used, but when I get onto the M6 near to Preston and pass the M55 turn off then the 150 odd miles of M6 and M74 can be done without hardly touching the cruise control. I can then look out and see what's happening around me, unlike those with 9 points on their licence who have their eyes glued to the speedo.
John, clearly you know when it's appropriate to use cruise control and I've used it on the sections of the M6 you mention, I can stop at Forton services, get back in the car, set the cruise control to 70mph, have my chicken wrap and Costa-to-go then settle down for a little snooze.

Trev
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 am
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 am

SteveW wrote:
kev.t wrote:i love it, just keep the speed toggle under my thumb then speed up/slow down accordingly. similarly the cancel button is next to my thumb so no need for phantom braking either.
variable speed limits and roadworks are good as well. (thumbs)
.....that's because you know how to use it, most car drivers are totally isolated from the fact they are actually moving and their actions impact on the lives of other people.
Texting, having arguments over their hands-free, smoking weed, watching dvd's, listening to Chris-fucking-Evans, eating a spicy chicken wrap, supping a Costa Coffee-to-go whilst sat there zombie-like with the cruise control on.
My, I have got up angry this morning :laugh:
Edit....I'm particularly referring to cruise control in cars/vans.
wow, lucky you know 'most car crivers' well enough to know their driving capability, I ain't got than many friends :(

I've used cruise control for many year's now and, like many vehicle (cars, vans, planes, trains and automobiles .... and bikes) systems , does require the user to understand when and how to use appropriately but then that's true of pretty much every piece of kit on every vehicle. Heck, on very rare occasions I've even seen some bike riders use the throttle in a dangerous and/or inappropriate manner, very rarely of course ; )

BTW, the adaptive version of cruise control is, IMHO, an excellent safety feature as well as helping avoid speeding tickets and allowing you to find that pound coin that slipped out of your pocket when you got in. I've recovered so much loose change by using it I've been able to save enough to make sure I can add it to the spec sheet of each new car or van I buy :whistle:

Have a good day (thumbs)

Spike941
Posts: 930
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by Spike941 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 am

There's nothing worse than setting the cruise for a lunch on the move, then coming up behind someone that hasn't got or set their cruise. I'm constantly having to put my coffee or wrap down to adjust and readjust my setting so as not to annoy other drivers doing the same. No point touching the brake, you'll just have to reset the cruise again. As for cruise on the bike, if I find I need to set the cruise, then I'm on the wrong road. Cruise - A pain in the arse in the wrong hands.

Brenhden
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 686 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: Cruise Control.....

Post by Brenhden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 am

After getting 12 points a few years ago I've learnt to love my cruise control, this year I'm hoping to upgrade to adaptive too. It comes on and off all the time as I only set it on clear roads but I find it super useful. It's also taught me what exactly 77mph looks like without looking at the speedo. And yes the buttons are well placed in my car so my left hand is always on them.

As previously mentioned in its also really handy in those 50mph roadworks that are fricken everywhere.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Post Reply

Return to β€œTHE PUB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DizzyDee, g00ner and 48 guests