Do you believe what you read on motorcycle forums?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Do you believe what you read on motorcycle forums?

Post by SteveW »

I sometimes think I'd be too scared to buy any make of motorcycle if I took everything I read on forums literally.
Definitely fuel for paranoia.
It can be difficult to weed out the YouTube and Google experts from the genuinely knowledgeable folk.
Luckily, I take everything with a pinch of salt and make my own choices and cock-ups!
I often think there are specific groups of "experts".....
I've got one of these, so it must be the best, until I buy something else. (That's probably me)
You've bought a new bike? You prick, old ones are better.
Ooooh, you don't want one of those....this happens....
Before anyone gets upset, my tongue is in my cheek (thumbs)
OnHellas

Re: Do you believe what you read on motorcycle forums?

Post by OnHellas »

It seems to me that bad news spreads much quicker than good.
Recently I have put a post on here praising an insurance company and the Auto Renewal quote that I had whilst away.
Zero replies.
Most of us resort to searching the web when we have an issue or a problem.
The newspapers and programs are the same, full of bad news.

its a shame. I'm going to start another good news thread about a product that gave us great service. Good things need reporting too.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

New bikes are for posers

Real men ride old, gnarley bikes :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

We all like a good moan

A lot of bad stories about Bennetts so I was expecting grief when I went with them. An issue with my no claims had them adding another £175 to my premium! Completely took the wind out of my moaning sails when they refunded all of it without drama.

What's the saying, A rumour has gone round the world before truth has put it's boots on.

My Honda has recently been giving me nothing but grief, wasn't the bikes fault but a crap dealer. I took it somewhere else & was a £20 problem to solve.

If anyone needs a decent mechanic while in Harrow London, see Bill Bailey Motorcycles. I was disappointed he wasn't playing a piano though :laugh:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
placky2

Post by placky2 »

SteveW wrote:I sometimes think I'd be too scared to buy any make of motorcycle if I took everything I read on forums literally.
Definitely fuel for paranoia.
It can be difficult to weed out the YouTube and Google experts from the genuinely knowledgeable folk.
Luckily, I take everything with a pinch of salt and make my own choices and cock-ups!
I often think there are specific groups of "experts".....
I've got one of these, so it must be the best, until I buy something else. (That's probably me)
You've bought a new bike? You prick, old ones are better.
Ooooh, you don't want one of those....this happens....
Before anyone gets upset, my tongue is in my cheek (thumbs)
its just a modern way for the old fashioned 'pub bore' to exist mate.weve all met em and tried to get away.....
bosses are like nappys,always hanging round ya arse and full of shit.

life is like a shit sandwich,the more bread you have the less shit you eat.

never get into owt you cant get out of.
placky2

Post by placky2 »

johnnyboxer wrote:New bikes are for posers

Real men ride old, gnarley bikes :whistle:
does a 1978 Suzuki gs850 count? (thumbs) (thumbs)
bosses are like nappys,always hanging round ya arse and full of shit.

life is like a shit sandwich,the more bread you have the less shit you eat.

never get into owt you cant get out of.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well I certainly don't believe everything I see on the Internet; not least because on about a dozen occasions when I've googled something I've found my own posts staring back at me ... (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Maljones

Post by Maljones »

I don't buy new bikes but you always hear how "it's back at the dealers yet again"! I do all my own maintenance until it gets beyond me then at that point I know a man who can. Doing it that way I get to do preventative maintenance which I'm not sure a lot do, so for them when it breaks one thing leads to another! I've had the most unreliable bikes on the planet according to some which should suffer catastrophic failure ....... 12gsadv , ktm 640adv, and the list goes on and on!! So either the way I do it works or I've been very very lucky!! Advice about should I buy this or that will get 20 replies! One mans opinion against the thousands of owners out there! Moving mechanical parts out in all weathers will fail at some point!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

in a word "no" with a caveat that if I know and respect the guy I am listening to I may give what they are saying more credence. I never believe of disbelieve anyone initially.

I was on a cpd course a while ago where the instructor was informing us that his training method was the best in the world backed up by PHD research (his) we were talking about power development in athletes I asked him whether he had tested his findings against power/weight lifting training athletes, he had to admit he had not, at which point I asked him about his claim again :whistle:

I look at what is being said and then look for information that backs up those claims or refutes them, but I also look who is behind the claims and why, who paid for the research ect.

Life has proved to me time and time again most people have an agenda even if that agenda is to only back up their misunderstanding of what they are talking about :whistle:

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

It depends on the forum. Adventure bike forums are probably the worst for having such a wide range of opinions because everyone has a different idea of what they consider to be 'adventure'. On here, we have people who have never left the UK, people who rarely ride on tarmac, people who only ride on tarmac, people who only consider an adventure to be in a foreign country. Old people, young people, people who want comfort and stay in hotels, people who want off-road ability and rough it in a bivvi. The range of opinions is vast and therefore less likely to be appropriate to your question.
Compare that to say a ZX10R or fireblade forum, where almost all members are aged between 25 and 45, all are only interested in speed and handling. People only post about performance or maintenance issues, and the discussion is limited, but everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “THE PUB”