So..I was in Tesco's earlier on today...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
frenchy3

Re: So..I was in Tesco's earlier on today...

Post by frenchy3 »

I have been getting off my bike to fill up and removing my helmet to pay for the fuel for years. It is just something i have done without thinking about why i do it and the implications.What did annoy me was one day i was filling up my car at Sainsburys and i then got my 20ltr army jerrycan out of the boot and went to fill it and the garage staff told me i was only allowed a 10 litre can of an approved type. I said i only wanted to put 10 litres in it and how come the can isn,t an approved type as armed forces around the world have been using them since world war two! She told me not to be smart and i couldn,t fill it up. I payed for my cars fuel and went round the corner to another garage where they didn,t question me.
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

StephenMac wrote:My wife works in a Tesco Filling Station and it is now law that under 16s can't use the pumps or pay for fuel.
Under Sixteen not under Eighteen and applicable to all filling stations not :silly:

Under sixteen is probably correct but surley not applicable to over :silly:
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

not selling fuel to under 16's has been stated at most fuel stations i have noticed over the last couple of years.... i wonder if the under 18 if true would only be if filling fuel cans?

There is the rule that no person under the age of 18 should be left in charge of a petrol station.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

frenchy3 wrote:I have been getting off my bike to fill up and removing my helmet to pay for the fuel for years. It is just something i have done without thinking about why i do it and the implications.What did annoy me was one day i was filling up my car at Sainsburys and i then got my 20ltr army jerrycan out of the boot and went to fill it and the garage staff told me i was only allowed a 10 litre can of an approved type. I said i only wanted to put 10 litres in it and how come the can isn,t an approved type as armed forces around the world have been using them since world war two! She told me not to be smart and i couldn,t fill it up. I payed for my cars fuel and went round the corner to another garage where they didn,t question me.
Do what I do, fill the car first, and then fill the jerrycan same time tha is waiting by the side...!! ;)
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The 'rules' for drawing fuel in the UK are insane. You have to be over 16 to buy fuel, and you have to to be over 16 to ride a moped, so why do you have to remove your helmet? under duress, i once removed my helmet so they could see me, then put it back on and they still refused to turn the pump on unless I removed my helmet whilst refuelling. I have to stand and pour a flammable liquid into a fuel tank sat on top of a hot engine, and i'll just place this £700 helmet on the floor so some scrote can grab it and run off. And if you can only put fuel into an approved plastic 10l container, what about Acerbis/Safari tanks?

I had to stop for fuel one evening and the garage had a sign saying at night you had to pre-pay for your fuel. I didn't know where the next one was and the light was on. He asked how much I wanted, I said I don't know, I just wanted to fill it up. I didn't have any cash, just a card, he wouldn't hold the card and let me fill up, he insisted I told him how much I wanted first, paid for it, then filled up. So I asked for £30, the bike took £16, and I refused the cash as change and insisted he did a charge back on my card.

If I never go back to the UK, it will be too soon.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

there are some great places in the UK, Alan ... just try to ignore all the petty rules, so to speak.
Compliance is defiance! :laugh:

mind, this country is abysmal in its treatment of young people .. trying to belittle the 25 year olds by treating them like minors, with payments etc. living at home with parents. Yet they can join the army at? ([insert]a young age) and die for their country.

Petrol stations .. actually I am surprised how lax the rules and ways are in fuelling up ... I see it as really really hazardous, in an explosive sort of way.
I notice that the rules seem to change from time to time, or at least their application .. as well as from place to place. Most places are ok.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ipswichbiker wrote:You are opening a can of worms with the helmet off or on debate (much like the filling on or off the bike).
go on then :laugh: open that can

I got a flip-up helmet and have always got off the bike to fill up .. if you give the attendant a chance to `pass` your approval, then things may go more smoothly, and you get to keep a dry unscathed crotch B) :laugh:

[edit.. just realised that the `sit on bike fill up` thing is from watching bike circuit racing on tv?]
[and the petrol regs thing is from pretending to counter so-called terrorists?]
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Unfortunately many petrol stations suffer from shoplifting and drive offs without paying and us law abiding citizens are affected by the scum who do things like that :( .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Scott_rider wrote:Unfortunately many petrol stations suffer from shoplifting and drive offs without paying and us law abiding citizens are affected by the scum who do things like that :( .
and it's the staff who pay for the drive off's not the company

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”