So..I was in Tesco's earlier on today...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Grim Reaper

So..I was in Tesco's earlier on today...

Post by Grim Reaper »

I overheard the cashiers in the local Tesco/Esso Fuel station today discussing what sounded like some new edict from above their heads to the effect that they were now unable to sell fuel to anyone under 18...
Second cashier says....'but you can drive a car when you're 17!'
Third one....'And you can ride a moped at 16!'
First one..'I know, I knew about not selling to under 16 year olds but now they say under 18's too'

How can they refuse to sell fuel to a law abiding motorist?
Spike941

Re: So..I was in Tesco's earlier on today...

Post by Spike941 »

Filled up at Tescos this afternoon, and not once was I asked for proof of age. I might be nearer 60 than 16, but have still managed to keep my boyish good looks. I then rode into the short stay parking by the main entrance, in order to get to the bike parking. I was following a rather attractive young mum in a Chelsea tractor looking for the nearest available spot to the entrance. She spied another tractor over her right shoulder making ready to vacate a suitable spot. She immediately selected reverse and headed straight for me, clearing not noticing my white helmet and hiViz waistcoat. Thankfully I didn't have the panniers on, and managed with and handful of throttle to squeeze into a gap between her and the full disabled parking slots, avoiding certain doom by a hair's breath. She noticed me once along side apologising perfusly. I tried to explain that very few motorcycles have a reverse gear, and mine wasn't one of them. Unfortunately, to any onlookers it just looked like I was just another impatient biker trying to get passed.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Grim Reaper wrote: How can they refuse to sell fuel to a law abiding motorist?
Sadly, as a vendor they have the right to refuse to serve anyone they see want. Daft but true. Obviously, sometimes it's the correct thing to do. (Abusive/disruptive customers etc)

In reality, it won't happen. The rider/driver will pull up like anyone else, they will not (even if they want to) be able to see on the camera the age of the person and then automatically authorise the pump. The vehicle then gets filled up and the rider/driver goes in to pay (hopefully).

What are they going to do then ?

They cannot take the fuel back and I doubt they will refuse his/her money.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

I read a post on here once where some guy said you by law you have to make a reasonable attempt to pay. If thats true and a 16 year old fills their moped then i cant see anyone not taking their money as they would be able to turn around and ride off with a tank of fuel lol.
StephenMac

Post by StephenMac »

My wife works in a Tesco Filling Station and it is now law that under 16s can't use the pumps or pay for fuel.
Under Sixteen not under Eighteen and applicable to all filling stations not just Tescos.
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

I had a 'conversation' with one of the girls at my local ASDA petrol station last year, I normally go in with my helmet on (because I can't be arsed to take it off) and usually have no problems when I'm on my big Orange 30 litre tanked GSA, but I was on my little white 12 litre tanked 690 one day and AFTER I'd filled up and was standing at the counter with cash in hand, she says 'You need to take your helmet off'
'Why?' says I, 'Do you not think I'm over 16?'
'In case you were to knock me over the head and make off without paying'
I stared at her,then at my mate who was standing behind me, then said 'If I was going to ride off without paying, do you really think I'd be in here with a £20 note in my hand?? I'd have just ridden off and not come inside!'
I shook my head and left.
Idiots!

@StephenMac.. I know about the under 16 bit, they were definitely discussing under 18's, Do they think youngsters will be bringing their parents in to pay for fuel?
Millennials!
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

You are opening a can of worms with the helmet off or on debate (much like the filling on or off the bike).
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Had the same response from a young lady behind the counter wearing a full head covering :blink:
XTChris

Post by XTChris »

This is why I love 'Pay at pump'.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I just did a search and can find nothing regarding 18 year olds.

The HSE regulations Petroleum Regulations 2014 appear to be the latest leagal edict.

At the top of page 5 it regulates that only 16 year olds can be sold petroleum products so I guess that the conversation overheard by the OP must have related to internal regulations.

Return to “THE PUB”