Gerry McNasty

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Re: Gerry McNasty

Post by SteveW »

Moorso wrote:Sorry...but some real uneducated comments about the NI situation from afar.

Had typed more...a real essay, but sometimes you just have to laugh, accept that some people have views based on a complete lack of knowledge and move on!
I think you've said more with those few words than you probably could have said in your essay.
I try not to comment on threads that are concerned with topics with subjects beyond my personal experiences.
The whole business of Irish politics is complicated almost beyond understanding.
I just wanted to make the point that despite political differences between governments people are people and generally once the ice is broken and a couple of pints are sunk we can get on together.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Moorso wrote:Sorry...but some real uneducated comments about the NI situation from afar.

Had typed more...a real essay, but sometimes you just have to laugh, accept that some people have views based on a complete lack of knowledge and move on!
Pity, isn't it

We British are a bigoted lot in some quarters.........really sad that we behave as we do and shown on this very forum

...........and they say 'travel broadens the mind'
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

interceptor wrote:Ah here, do you not appreciate the years of peace in NI since the peace process was brokered by a diverse group of individuals?

800 years of British oppression on this island have left us all with our own perspective and you can either move forward or you can keep taking sides and spitting hate.

Peace out brother, bring your bike over this summer and see real change for the better since Thatchers soldiers stopped firing plastic bullets at childrens heads. There was wrong on both sides and claiming otherwise is rewriting history. You can stay in my house if you like and we can have a few pints, but no talking politics.

whoa free room n board, whats the fishing like near you (thumbs)

steve
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I've seen real hatred on both sides of the divide.

Whilst in the military certain characters where never left alone together after they had a beer or two because they would fight.

I've known and seen protestants from both England and Scotland with deep hatred of anything Irish or catholic and these guys had never been to Ireland :whistle:

I went to a bike meet once and shared a room with a guy who had a Red hand sticker on his pannier and when he realised where my family came from he went home rather than share a room with me (the sharing a room I could understand I wouldn't share a room with me either If I could avoid it)

Mandela used to be classed as a terrorist but then became a great saviour, Gadaffi was deemed as evil by the west after he became useless to them, yet I have known people who have travelled there and had met some of the family and were surprised by what he did for the people,

I served and fought in the Falklands and I am sure there would be Argentinians who would call me a terrorist. I fought for the freedom of people and so have others.

But most of all I have NO TRUCK what so ever with the killing innocent people, by Governments or by individuals.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

When i was younger i spent a lot of time in NI watching and learning.

What i learned and what my point of this thread was that men of violence will never change and should not be the ones to make the peace.

Politics is politics and best suited to politicians. Men of peace who are needed to keep the peace do not come from the same stock as men who live by the gun.

I strongly feel that things in NI would have ended sooner and gone much smoother if the men who made the peace had nothing to do with the past and the crimes committed on both sides.

I have no problem with either side of the divide over there but i strongly do have views on some of those chosen to make the peace!

And to those who think i am making comments from afar....i spent several years fully immersed in all that went on over there. It's part of my past that not many know about but one i am proud of. So just because i was not born over there does not mean i am some bloke throwing stones.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I think it's totally appropriate that the men of violence on both sides should be heavily involved in the politics of the peace process.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

SteveW wrote:I think it's totally appropriate that the men of violence on both sides should be heavily involved in the politics of the peace process.
If all members of all Governments actually served on the front line then perhaps there would fewer problems.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

The fishing near me is unreal. I'm fifteen minutes on a bike from Lough Mask in Galway/Mayo - have a look and let me know whether you want full board or B&B!
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Redmurty wrote:
SteveW wrote:I think it's totally appropriate that the men of violence on both sides should be heavily involved in the politics of the peace process.
If all members of all Governments actually served on the front line then perhaps there would fewer problems.

cheers Spud ;)
Significant that the British army didn't do much actual fighting in foreign wars while there were WW2 veterans (Healey and Whitelaw, for example) in the Cabinets of the Governments of the day.

Once they went, things changed...and not for the better.

Now we have politicians who think that if they describe their chosen foreign foes as "Hitler" they suddenly become, by extension, Churchill.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Whilst I agree with the many sentiments in regard to Peace aired here by members and wholeheartedly hopee Eire and The North well for the future there are those who have seen and lived in the violence and hatred bred by these men during these times.We have long memorys and dont easily accept political platitude as an excusable action for murder no matter which side of the fence it resides.

As pointed out only the new generations remote from this era will ever hope to live in true peace with no taint to their character.

Return to “THE PUB”