'The Big Trip' - What's yours?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
videoman

Re: 'The Big Trip' - What's yours?

Post by videoman »

Just to ride my bike more often and hopefully visit Scotland and Morocco (Wibo's trip in October) among other places this year.

Not really been on bike since end of May last year and had a puncture to spoil the weekend as have been refurbishing a house to rent out but all finished now and do not plan on working much anymore.

Just need somebody to ride with now as all my mates have packed in riding bikes and have money burning a hole in my pocket to buy whatever I fancy.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Having a 'gap year' in between 'Big Responsibilities' during 2016 - 2018, so August Montenegro and everywhere i can do out east hue I'm out there - I'd like to go to Turkish Asia Minor but with time/money limits and maybe politics i'm not so sure ...

Then October/November to Morocco with the the ECB gang ...

The 'ultimate' Big Trip? Don't know really. There's now way i'm going to Trump's America - despite having very dear fields to visit there - Africa? No, done poverty and corruption to death in South America 20 years ago. S America, yes, Argentina, the accent is sooooooo sexy ... Far East, hmmm, India and the Himalayas, yes, on an Enfield of course! Oz and NZ - take me with you Spud! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Having a 'gap year' in between 'Big Responsibilities' during 2016 - 2018, so August Montenegro and everywhere i can do out east hue I'm out there - I'd like to go to Turkish Asia Minor but with time/money limits and maybe politics i'm not so sure ...

Then October/November to Morocco with the the ECB gang ...

The 'ultimate' Big Trip? Don't know really. There's now way i'm going to Trump's America - despite having very dear fields to visit there - Africa? No, done poverty and corruption to death in South America 20 years ago. S America, yes, Argentina, the accent is sooooooo sexy ... Far East, hmmm, India and the Himalayas, yes, on an Enfield of course! Oz and NZ - take me with you Spud! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Your always more than welcome buddy (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Norrie77

Post by Norrie77 »

My BIG trip would have to be Proudhoe Bay to Ushuaia it's been my dream after having watched a Globebusters video a few years ago, however like many others finances and time won't allow it.
In the meantime I'll soak up the enjoyment of what riding I do even a run to Tesco's
0 - 60 in as long as it takes
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

It's certainly not easy to get away on long bike trips.

I was lucky. I spent my 20's and early 30's riding around the world. No cares, no responsibilities and little regard for the future. I rode up and down South America, Uk-Capetown and all over Europe. I canoed the Yukon and backpacked around India and South East Asia. Great memories.

I didn't understand why everyone wasn't doing it. I worked until I had a few grand saved up and then I'd go. I would be massively patronising to those couldn't by saying "There's nothing hard about it" or "Just do it".

But now I'm a fair bit older with my own business, bills and family responsibilities. I can now certainly understand why so many just get to dream the dream.

I've not been on what I class as a proper extended bike trips in YEARS !!! I have rent to pay, projects backed up in the workshop, ageing parents and a miserable bank balance. To just jump on my bike and heading for the sunshine would probably bankrupt me and leave me far worse off on my return.

I still make plans and dream of travelling again but life is really getting in the way..

I still buy and prep the bike, plan routes and set a date in my head but something always comes up. Whether it's financial or personal. Often both.

The older you get the harder it gets.

So if you want to do. And you CAN do it. Do it sooner than later. Because the longer you wait, the harder it gets. Comprendé ?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hey, haven't seen you here in ages ...

You never did come cross as being "massively patronising" quite the opposite really, like the 'seasoned traveller' being ore down to earth about practical matters while the 'boys' ranted about the romantic stuff.

Know the feeling about 'responsibilities'. I missed my chance before the mortgage/job/family triangle caught me, but bear with it and enjoy your second chance when the time comes, I certainly am - making up for lost time! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

hornet

Post by hornet »

Well it's starting to become a reality although still a few years away the ball is in motion and things put into place.

Had I of met missus hornet before I made the biggest mistake of my life , ie getting married to an evil,poisonous, minipulative, money grabbing, gold digger (that's the nice version) things would be different.

Hoping to be in a place with house rented out and time on our side the first port of call is Canada and north America. Hopefully we can have enough time to really experience this part of the world. Are we brave enough to travel through the south Americas I'm no sure but that would I'm certain be one heck of an experience.

We've been luck to have many trips now but after two or three weeks I just dread coming back and just wish to go on and on. I also believe the further from home and the longer I am away for the better I become as a person more open less judgemental, more friendly more trusting and considerably less grumpy

Happy travels amigos
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
hornet

Post by hornet »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Hey, haven't seen you here in ages ...

You never did come cross as being "massively patronising" quite the opposite really, like the 'seasoned traveller' being ore down to earth about practical matters while the 'boys' ranted about the romantic stuff.

Know the feeling about 'responsibilities'. I missed my chance before the mortgage/job/family triangle caught me, but bear with it and enjoy your second chance when the time comes, I certainly am - making up for lost time! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

I also feel the making up for lost time urge perhaps this is a good thing ?
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

hornet wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Hey, haven't seen you here in ages ...

Regs

Simon

I also feel the making up for lost time urge perhaps this is a good thing ?
Or maybe a second childhood - I've just bought a f***-off loud 'silencer' for my rather pedestrian X-Co and just remembered that the fist part I ever bought fir a bike was a Megaphone silencer, a la Manx Norton, for my 250 AJS when I was sixteen. So what? Well, I'm sixty this year - just a big kid really! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

Return to “THE PUB”