James May The Reassembler Honda 50

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

Re: James May The Reassembler Honda 50

Post by catcitrus »

Paul_C wrote:He covered the Centrifugal clutch when doing the lawnmower in series one.
The suffolk lawnmower is no more than a couple of loaded brake shoes really. If you examine the Honda clutch closely it has a series of kidney shaped pressings mounted on a ring that pivot trying to provide centripetal force and clamp the plates (this is what I changed through CNC etc). The really clever bit is how this action is overridden by the gear lever via a worm drive and thrust bearing--once the gear lever is released the clutch can then operate. The engine started with a rather light pushrod C50 I think, and then gravitated through to an OHC 50 and then an OHC 90 , with a long stroke 90 as an "economy" version--but please correct me if I'm wrong. The concept lives on through pit bikes, small scoots and that odd Honda 125 which is a bit between the little "monkeybikes" and a normal 125. My involvement was using this engine in the Shell eco marathon--I built a hybrid 58cc with the 90 economy bottom end and a 50 barrel and head (LONG STROKE). 14:1 compression ratio, reprofiled cams, twin plugs AND multi spark, and progressive lean burn--starts on a carb but in a period of about 10s a stepper motor controlled air bleed into the inlet tract eventually leaned the mixture right out until it stopped. (about 3 or 4 10s bursts to get around Silverstone club circuit at an average speed of 15 mph--my record was about 2200 mpg (many years ago), but the record now stands at well over 10,000 mpg--its a serious business!)
ps hope this didn't put anyone to sleep before they got to the end!
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Hmmm, what's to say. Boring as fook that's what!
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

rlkat wrote:
qd-woodstain_750ml_d-oak-satin_2014.png
qd-woodstain_750ml_d-oak-satin_2014.png (162.85 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
PS. I do like James May. (thumbs)
I vote

qd-woodstain_750ml_d-oak-satin_2014.png
qd-woodstain_750ml_d-oak-satin_2014.png (162.85 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
:evil:

I like JM as well ... Intelligent guy, shame about the anorak :whistle:
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

turned it off bloody rubbish
macdee

Post by macdee »

catcitrus wrote:
Paul_C wrote:He covered the Centrifugal clutch when doing the lawnmower in series one.
The suffolk lawnmower is no more than a couple of loaded brake shoes really. If you examine the Honda clutch closely it has a series of kidney shaped pressings mounted on a ring that pivot trying to provide centripetal force and clamp the plates (this is what I changed through CNC etc). The really clever bit is how this action is overridden by the gear lever via a worm drive and thrust bearing--once the gear lever is released the clutch can then operate. The engine started with a rather light pushrod C50 I think, and then gravitated through to an OHC 50 and then an OHC 90 , with a long stroke 90 as an "economy" version--but please correct me if I'm wrong. The concept lives on through pit bikes, small scoots and that odd Honda 125 which is a bit between the little "monkeybikes" and a normal 125. My involvement was using this engine in the Shell eco marathon--I built a hybrid 58cc with the 90 economy bottom end and a 50 barrel and head (LONG STROKE). 14:1 compression ratio, reprofiled cams, twin plugs AND multi spark, and progressive lean burn--starts on a carb but in a period of about 10s a stepper motor controlled air bleed into the inlet tract eventually leaned the mixture right out until it stopped. (about 3 or 4 10s bursts to get around Silverstone club circuit at an average speed of 15 mph--my record was about 2200 mpg (many years ago), but the record now stands at well over 10,000 mpg--its a serious business!)
ps hope this didn't put anyone to sleep before they got to the end!
Got any photos
And More info on the way you leaned the engine
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I don't have any immediate pics(pre-digital)--and its a bit off topic--the leaning was accomplished by a "Y" inlet tract--normal carb on one and a "sealed" carb body on the other. The slide on this sealed carb was pulled up by a cable attached to a drum which was driven by a stepper motor--once activated on start up it lifted the slide gradually therefore leaning the mixture off gradually until after about 10s it was too lean to run--and "petered out"--best use of fuel and the faster the engine spins the more able it is to tolerate a lean mixture. If you wish to discuss it in more detail then we best start another thread--I like James May as well--maybe its because we are not normal "punters" that we find the programmes a bit trivial.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

^...guys, I have absolutely no idea what any of that engineering stuff means because I'm a technical buffoon...but for some weird reason I like reading about it on here B) :silly: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Mactavish

Post by Mactavish »

Could you start an other thread on the lean burn please . Found that very interesting .
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Mactavish wrote:Could you start an other thread on the lean burn please . Found that very interesting .
Can I suggest that you guys that are interested in the tech stuff do a search on the Shell Eco marathon and start about 15 or so years ago and have a look at the engineering--not just the engines--way back Honda actually entered a factory team (and Ford)--Honda's engine was rumoured to be a 6 stroke and fuel injected. It gets silly--helium filled special tyres at extremely high pressure and so on--it will keep you amused for hours.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Just watched this with my six year old daughter. Previous epispodes have sent her to sleep. This one had her laughing.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Return to β€œTHE PUB”