Arthritis?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Re: Arthritis?

Post by Redmurty »

Jak, Mrs is back if you want to give me a call (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

opps sorry was not taking the pea with the thumb :blush:
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi Spud, no problem. Thing is I can't remember doing anything fun or otherwise with my thumb last night. Thanks for giving me your number, it was really useful chatting with your missus and put my mind at rest somewhat. Although the possibility that it is gout is nearly as scary as Brexit. Life without red wine or whisky is a scary thought, although preferable to life without motorcycles.
Cheers Jak
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Actually I have just googled it and apparently wine does not effect gout, it is just beer and spirits. Oh well every cloud etc.
Cheers Jak
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jak* wrote:Hi Spud, no problem. Thing is I can't remember doing anything fun or otherwise with my thumb last night. Thanks for giving me your number, it was really useful chatting with your missus and put my mind at rest somewhat. Although the possibility that it is gout is nearly as scary as Brexit. Life without red wine or whisky is a scary thought, although preferable to life without motorcycles.
Cheers Jak
No worries mate, they say it's down to "rich living" (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Redmurty wrote:
No worries mate, they say it's down to "rich living" (thumbs)
Steve R will along in a minute, only joking Steve

Advancing years carry many ailments, as long as you can still swing the leg over keep smiling
Adventure before Dementia
ratass

Post by ratass »

Suffered from gout for over 10 yrs,as a rule it domt hit hands virst time generally it goes for the big toe,dehydration,diet sometimes beer can flair it up,also a trauma such as hitting joints can also do it.believe me if it was gout you would know.tis extremely painfull.any questions.
Jon
Jak* wrote:Actually I have just googled it and apparently wine does not effect gout, it is just beer and spirits. Oh well every cloud etc.
Cheers Jak
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi Ratass, having spoken to Spud's missus and a few gout sufferers I that may well be what it is. The pain was enough to wake me up. From what I have read it generally hits the toes first but it can be any joint. There is a wealth of advice out there, some of it conflicting which I guess is because we are all human and it effects us slightly differently. It is for me really useful to discuss it with bikers as we have different needs. For instance I am wondering whether it is worth investing in heated gloves.
Thanks Jak
ratass

Post by ratass »

Look into diet ,the key word is phurines,foods like mushrooms shellfish some oily fish ,did your joint swell,get hot,anti inflammatorys keep elevated,ill dig out some info if you want.cherry juice works for me and soda water.
Jon
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Who needs the NHS when you have the internet! Dr Google is going to save the nation a fortune.

I love the fact that the OP said he'd been to see his GP, that the GP said he probably has arthritis (which is a bit of a catch all phrase for wear and tear) but 10 people on the internet offer ten alternative diagnoses - tendons, gout, not gout, rsi...

Personally, I'd trust the doctor. Take their advice.

Dave (not a Dr)
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi sorry I should have clarified that the doc said it was probably a form of arthritis, possibly gout. They advised me to go back for further tests if it did not clear up. I have to admit that I think of things like arthritis and gout as things that my grandparents suffered from and in those days it seemed to me that they just suffered for the rest of their lives. I think nowadays if there are not actual cures there are ways of alleviating the symptoms and releaving the pain. so long as I can keep riding bikes and doing the other things I enjoy I'll be happy.
Cheers Jak

Return to “THE PUB”