Bikers? Are you one?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
captinktm

Bikers? Are you one?

Post by captinktm »

I was just reading about the "Bikers" in Leeds and thought after 53 years of riding, owning and living bikes I am not a biker! I never been to the Ace cafe in London, on several visits to the Isle of Man, I simply rode round the circuit and watch the racing, never once going to any of the "Biker" doo's in Douglas. I just ride .....alot. So is it me? Or are there other like minded people out there who I guess are .........um .......Riders?
halfpint

Re: Bikers? Are you one?

Post by halfpint »

riders it is . otherwise you end up living the bikers dream, what ever that is !!
boatman

Post by boatman »

Touring rider designation please (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Bikers? Are you one?

Post by johnnyboxer »

captinktm wrote:I was just reading about the "Bikers" in Leeds and thought after 53 years of riding, owning and living bikes I am not a biker! I never been to the Ace cafe in London, on several visits to the Isle of Man, I simply rode round the circuit and watch the racing, never once going to any of the "Biker" doo's in Douglas. I just ride .....alot. So is it me? Or are there other like minded people out there who I guess are .........um .......Riders?
I am with you

Never been to IOM for TT - couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck on a small island with 1000's of bikers

I usually avoid the usual biker haunts in Yorkshire too

I much prefer the road less travelled, over the tops or down a quiet valley and a nice tea room with home made wholesome food, not some greasy crap at a biker cafe

I am a motorcyclist and NOT a biker
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

johnnyboxer wrote:
captinktm wrote:I was just reading about the "Bikers" in Leeds and thought after 53 years of riding, owning and living bikes I am not a biker! I never been to the Ace cafe in London, on several visits to the Isle of Man, I simply rode round the circuit and watch the racing, never once going to any of the "Biker" doo's in Douglas. I just ride .....alot. So is it me? Or are there other like minded people out there who I guess are .........um .......Riders?
I am with you

Never been to IOM for TT - couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck on a small island with 1000's of bikers

I usually avoid the usual biker haunts in Yorkshire too

I much prefer the road less travelled, over the tops or down a quiet valley and a nice tea room with home made wholesome food, not some greasy crap at a biker cafe

I am a motorcyclist and NOT a biker
I agree totally. I too have never been to any "biker" cafes, or the I.O.M. etc, but I do like to ride, normally on my own.
I think you're right with the distinction between a motorcyclist and a biker.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'll be a touring rider as well then.I used to go to the biker rallies but not anymore.Even then I never understood my mates who just wanted to get there as quickly as possible up the dual carriage way and then park their bike for two days.Now my bike is for the odd day run but mostly weekends and holidays away.
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

Many years ago on a Morini Riders Club run about a dozen of us descended on a cafe for some breakfast.
The 2 girls behind the counter had a bit of a con flab then the youngest of the two came over and said 'sorry, we don't serve motorcyclists'
The elder statesman amongst us, a chap well into his 70's piped up....'young lady, I'm not a motorcyclist, I'm a human being and I'll have a full English and a mug of tea please'.
The girls looked at each other for a few seconds then carried on and took our orders.
To the best of my knowledge neither had to receive councilling.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

So looking at the current trend on here, what's a biker? Because right or wrong (obviously wrong) that is how the general public see us.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

A few years ago I would have said I was biker,although I've never owned a denim cut-off or had a tattoo.Going to rallies every other weekend,taking part in organised runs,commuting all year round etc but I don't do any of that now.
I wouldn't have said that lot in Leeds were bikers either though,just neds since I suspect quite a few have never passed a bike test or paid for the bike they were riding!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I ride a motorbike but do I call myself a biker? No, but being described as one wouldn't worry me.

I've been to the Ace cafe and it was great fun.
I've been to both the TT and the MGP and usually pop into the Busheys beer tent at least once for the disco and just for the fun of it.
I've taken part in MAG demos. Some of you should remember that without those 'bikers' taking part in the demos your experiences riding bikes would be very different today.
I've been to large winter bike rallies in Germany where the so called biker lifestyle and outlaw approach was taken for granted and they're probably the friendliest bike meets I've ever been to.

Years ago it was a regular occurrence to see pubs and roadside cafes with signs saying no motorbikes but that never bothered me, if they didn't want motorbikes then they didn't want my money and I would never go in any place displaying a sign like that even now.

Do I care how the general public view me? Not in the slightest bit and if they want to view me as a biker then I'm actually quite proud of it because I've had plenty of bikers stop and offer help at the side of the road, other bikers nod or wave to me when I'm riding, some car drivers move over to let me pass them more safely or filter in queues but best of all my wife used to be one of those sleazy biker chicks with their leather jackets and high boots and she still owns and rides 4 different bikes (thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”