Driving & riding in London

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

It's crap isn't it? I've been working in North London this week and even though I leave my hotel at 6am then leave work at 7pm it's still busy both ways and everyone seems to have protected no claims bonus because they drive and ride like complete dickheads.

I'm glad I don't have to endure this all year :pinch:
AndyB

Re: Driving & riding in London

Post by AndyB »

I'm stopping in Enfield and working just off the North Circular but if our nightshift do what they should I'll be in at 06:30 to test 12 steam valves then I'll sign them off as being leak free and good to go, get time sheets signed and be on my way north up the A1 by 10am.

I've never seen so many people obviously suffering from road rage and so many stupid people riding motorbikes in all my life. Most riders seem to think a Go Pro is a life saver but if one of the silly bastards put me in a situation where we had an accident I'd simply rip it off his head and throw it as far as I could then kick him in the nuts if he complained.
Adrian1965

Post by Adrian1965 »

Weybridge ,, I'm quite local then as I commute from Rusper (nr Horsham) to my shop in Addlestone. As for London a delivery to Richmond today was enough for me !!
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

You get used to it...I was less than a minute into my commute before an emergency brake & a bit of a swerve to avoid the 1st white van smidsy this morning.

When I do venture out, even a 400 mile on a dirtbike saddle is relaxing & theraputic :laugh:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Give us a wave on the M1 Southbound tomorrow morning. White Tiger Sport, black top box!

Not going into London tomorrow, just Weybridge, but the M25 is bad enough!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

I've been riding into London since 2009. At first I was really exhausted because of the concentration. Now I've ether got used to it or don't concentrate as much ;)
At least once a week someone tries to kill me, but it's still better than public transport!!
It does sharpen up your riding though.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Being a Northerner I've only ridden in London maybe 10-12 times.
It's like a bigger more extreme version of any UK city. I don't really mind it, at least you know it's everyman or woman for themselves, it's competitive and you've not got anyone doing you any favours, but at least it's kind of predictable as in everyone's going to drive selfishly and you need to ride quite aggressively and stay sharp. A lot of the drivers are working, delivering or commuting, there's a lot of non-British born drivers, so that traditional British driving politeness, the acknowledgment/thankyou wave etc....is somewhat absent.
You can't afford to switch off and you know everyone's out to get you.
The smaller towns, villages and countryside have a different vibe, but also have their own dangers. Elderly unpredictable drivers, day-dreamers and residents pulling out onto quite side roads that they don't expect any vehicles to be travelling on.
You can get sucked into that vibe and start switching off, admiring the view and dropping your awareness.
In big cities generally I ride quite aggressively with a heightened sense of awearness, which is okay for a visitor but it must be tiring for a daily commute.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

You should try taking a loaded 44t arctic truck into London.......... :woohoo:
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Tell me about it. I spent 13 years as a despatch rider there. :evil:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I can't remember the last time I rode a motorbike into the city but it was probably last century (thumbs)

London isn't quite as bad as Italy or Spain but I'd say the standard of driving is much worse than any north European city I've driven in.

Return to “THE PUB”