How much for a new Bike?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

How much for a new Bike?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Is the price of bikes getting too high?

Had a look at a new 690R yesterday - £7900 otr (maybe £7200 with some discount) which is classed as a dualsport, but has a plastic bash plate and no rack, crap tyres............so more to spend - maybe another £500, minimum

Husky 701 -same and £8000

CCM 450 - more trail ready but about £8000 and rising

KTM EXC - all over £7000 for a dirtbike

Adv road bikes like the GS/GSA £12000-£16000

Africa Twin £11000 with a few extras

Prices are out of reach for all but a lucky few and without finance, almost impossible for most to justify............as a hobby/pastime

Are you happy paying near to or over £10000 for your new bike??
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
-Ralph-

Re: How much for a new Bike?

Post by -Ralph- »

Pays your money takes your choice.

Depends what you want to do with it.

If you don't need all the fancy cycle parts and lightweight you can still pick up a new Tenere for £6500.

I've never needed a brand new bike either, a 1 or 2 year old bike is as good as new and saves you £1000's.

This does seems like another JB "light blue touch paper and run" thread to me, think you can get it past page 4? ;)
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

Up to now I have always had second hand bike and classics at that, so really cheap riding and nothing stopping me riding all over Europe on 40 year old bike, not having any depreciation is a very good thing if you want to keep costs low.

This year I treated myself to a new bike for the first time since 1974, a CCM, not cheap and very different than a R90/6, a light and nimble bike, but also is capable of carrying me around Europe, It's a very high quality bit of kit, where the money has been spent on the frame and the suspension, is it worth it? Who knows but compared to other bikes of its type I reckon it's good value.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

No added value in a base model cash sale so get them on finance and sell all the extras for another 20 quid a month
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:
This does seems like another JB "light blue touch paper and run" thread to me, think you can get it past page 4? ;)
Not really

My 'self-imposed' rule was always never to pay more than £10k for a new bike - just for a hobby

That has been surpassed, so like yourself I would always go used

Quite frankly I can't see where firms like BMW/Ducati arrive at £15000 for a bike, but plenty of folks stump it up?

I think my point is, has it just got a bit ridiculous or am I just an old fart who is happy to ride around on older bikes now and not get on the 'new bike' bandwagon anymore

Especially when you see all the fun Spud has just had around Iceland on a £1500 solid bike, riding with others on newer 690's and CCM 450's, which cost 4-5 times the price of Spud's bike............... :unsure:

Hell some people maybe spent more than Spud's £1500 just on a Klim super duper suit

Emperor's new clothes spring to mind.............are we being duped into thinking that £10k is the entry level requirement to get a new bike to enter the Adv riding arena
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

got admit i paid £13200 for my watercooled which has taken me a time to love and just paid £400 for klim jacket which i have worn almost everyday for the last 4 months and its performed superbly

but with hindshite 13k for the bm because it was the first of the model and i liked its performance i was not prepared to wait 12 months as time passes and age creeps up.

actually thinking of selling and down sizing on price to the 1150 as i need the comfort and the range

steve
Tink

Post by Tink »

Like spud my bike triumph tiger isn't worth a lot but have as much fun on it as my mate does on his new Afric Twin

WP_20160730_12_40_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_12_40_11_Pro.jpg (52.57 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

You've got to consider the target market which is middle aged men with disposable cash rather than cash strapped 17-23 year old lads which used to be the main buyers.

A bloke with 75% of his mortgage out of the way is quite happy to dump £250/month on a new bike bought on a PCP whereas anyone younger is either fighting to save for a mortgage or rent and is paying much more than the middle man so they're of no interest to the manufacturers.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

exactly. Plus there is the fact which lots of people seem to miss in the inverted snobbery discussion of new bikes versus used bikes and that is simply if people dont buy new bikes there is no bike industry.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Tink wrote:Like spud my bike triumph tiger isn't worth a lot but have as much fun on it as my mate does on his new Afric Twin

WP_20160730_12_40_11_Pro.jpg
I have a Girlie as well (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”