Legal advice on military matter please?? Sorted I reckon!! :-)

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Philiptigerrice

Re: Legal advice on military matter please??

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Sorry it doesn't look good mate - must be devastating for you both :(

His consultant should also be a little bit less insistent on how unlikely he is to become unwell in later life really too. I mean that in a respectful way - its just that he's assessing people for activities of normal daily living.

He is not assessing a man for humping 50Kg around for miles on end - living your life pulled up on one knee, dash down crawling through shite for months on end - and climbing and jumping on and off Armour 30 times a day for months on end.

Tell him to join the Police - they're after bright young graduates - that way he can batter people all day long - and go home at the end of the day! (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Philiptigerrice wrote:I'm not sure that taking this the legal route, is the way to go?

I am an ex military medic, and have an involvement in Occupational Health in industry now. But - I've never worked in the sort of circles as the guys discussing your lads case. So this is not gospel - just a few initial thoughts.

Philip, thank you muchly for that excellent and hugely useful response. There is so much in it that I am not going to go throught it, but I will dump it to the printer for when Charlie gets back from Krautland!

The idea of the legal route is that it would be to challenge (if feasible or wise) the JSP 950 and the assessment in it on fractures. I am pretty sure he is sensible enough to realise the reality of the situation if it's a non starter.

TBH, the Capita people need to improve their people handling big time!! ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Philiptigerrice wrote:Sorry it doesn't look good mate - must be devastating for you both :(

His consultant should also be a little bit less insistent on how unlikely he is to become unwell in later life really too. I mean that in a respectful way - its just that he's assessing people for activities of normal daily living.

He is not assessing a man for humping 50Kg around for miles on end - living your life pulled up on one knee, dash down crawling through shite for months on end - and climbing and jumping on and off Armour 30 times a day for months on end.

Tell him to join the Police - they're after bright young graduates - that way he can batter people all day long - and go home at the end of the day! (thumbs)
I was impressed that the Consultant had some understanding of what a Forces career meant actually, but I know exactly where you are coming from! ;)

It was quite noticable that after 12-14 days at Sandhurst the mental and physical presssure they put the trainees under. He was tatered... But passed comfortably.... (thumbs) (thumbs)

He has said that he might go for the Police (we know quite a few local rozzers personally) but if squaddiedom is a no-no, he can get his Degree and the world will be his Lobster. I was browsing the ARRSE site a few days ago, and one Medical fail was going for the Legion, but I will not mention that one :whistle:

Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas. I might even suggest Charlie messages you on his return if he needs any thoughts...?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The third huge issue for the Forces is the sheer number of troops who get medically discharged. A large portion of those comes from injuries in the field - like fractures. Experience shows that a lot of them then try and sue the army for negligence or injury insurance money because they've developed arthritis - it costs millions - and if you have 1000 soldiers a year doing you for £100k each, and half of them had pre-existing fractures - you can't defend yourself very easily - so again, they look at particular fracture types as a barrier to entry.
THis was my suspicion TBH Philip. One just looks at the huge number of ambulance chasers advertising to work that one out...! :dry:
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Steve,
I fully sympathise with your situation and cannot imagine how he feels at what appears to be a rubber stamp rejection.......but the Army perspective will be that he is a risk, and from a section / platoon perspective it becomes a liability. Having a man down in a combat situation is bad enough, having a section / platoon commander go down poses unimaginable consequences. A legal challenge won't help you, I have witnessed plenty, they have to look at the bigger picture, hard to accept but that is the way of it. I have seen plenty of good proven soldiers and officers invalided out due to injury when they wanted to stay, and that really is hard to take. Your son has the option to change direction at least ?

Best regards

Sarge
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The Sarge wrote:Steve,
I fully sympathise with your situation and cannot imagine how he feels at what appears to be a rubber stamp rejection.......but the Army perspective will be that he is a risk, and from a section / platoon perspective it becomes a liability. Having a man down in a combat situation is bad enough, having a section / platoon commander go down poses unimaginable consequences. A legal challenge won't help you, I have witnessed plenty, they have to look at the bigger picture, hard to accept but that is the way of it. I have seen plenty of good proven soldiers and officers invalided out due to injury when they wanted to stay, and that really is hard to take. Your son has the option to change direction at least ?

Best regards

Sarge
Cheers Sarge, I appreciate your taking the time to respond. IKWYM (not really, but...!) regarding the possible outcome of an Officer going down. Shit and fans, come to mind...

I'll get Charlie to go through this thread when he is fresh from a good nights sleep later in the week!

As I mentioned to Phil, he his on target for a really good outcome from Uni, so he has a lot of options. With luck, his UOTC will allow him to continue soldiering with the Unit, even if he cannot get his pip!! That will be worth one hell of a lot to him and it has been excellent for him in learning real world skills I reckon. His people handling skill are excellent now!! :laugh:
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Steve,

Tell him to look at an airfarce career - they took me so they'll obviously take anyone :whistle: (thumbs)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Is the royal navy or royal air force an option you have explored for selection purposes?

Basic trg, deployments etc are leagues away from being keen in green in most roles?

When I joined the army, My mate joined the RAF, I think the fat fecker put weight on during his basic ;)
When nothing is going right - go left
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Steve T wrote:Steve,

Tell him to look at an airfarce career - they took me so they'll obviously take anyone :whistle: (thumbs)
That will when you were young and virile, and the Russkis were waiting to pour across the German Plains...

As far as I can find out, all branches of the Armed Forces require the same entrance criteria when it come to medicals.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

wait for me wrote:Is the royal navy or royal air force an option you have explored for selection purposes?

Basic trg, deployments etc are leagues away from being keen in green in most roles?

When I joined the army, My mate joined the RAF, I think the fat fecker put weight on during his basic ;)
From the reports from his AT session in Germany where he is sailing for the past week or so, I am pretty sure the RN is NOT an option!! :S

RAF... I did think he might have gone Regiment, but as I said to SteveT, I think selection will rule him medically unfit cos of JSP 950.

Return to “THE PUB”