Waltons Sheds - AVOID at all costs

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
IainD

Waltons Sheds - AVOID at all costs

Post by IainD »

I am in the process of doing up a house I bought a year and a half ago, I have a garage and had a small shed which I decided to replace with bigger one so it could be a workshop as well as a store.

I researched on tinternet and found Waltons did a 19mm timber log cabin style shed at a reasonable price, also simple to erect. So I contacted them and was told delivery would be 4-5 weeks for what I wanted (I asked for a side window to be removed from the design).

I ordered six weeks in advance of booked holidays to be sure of delivery when I needed and was promised this would be OK.

At the four week date I telephoned to ask when delivery would be to be told that they were still awaiting it coming into stock (as they are made in Lithuania) but that it "might be coming in tomorrow" and they would phone me.

A week and a half later I phoned again to be told this time that they had no idea when I would get it and I should have been told a delivery period of up to eight weeks.

I followed the conversation up with an email cancelling the order on the grounds of being misled on delivery and would phone to organise a refund. So I gave them an hour and phoned. They were very apologetic and I was told they would process the refund that day and I would receive the funds within two to five days.

So, today, eight days later, no refund. Back onto the phone and I was given the old IT issues excuse, when I asked why they didn't let me know, no reason was forthcoming. I demanded that they process the refund today and that I receive the funds by the end of the week or I would send them an invoice for my time and interest.

Again, I followed this up with a confirmation email, to which the reply was that the refund had left their account and any delay would be the fault of my bank!

I am astonished that such a company can trade, they have lied to me on delivery and no doubt tried to hold onto my money as long as possible. All I ask for is honesty.

I am wondering when (if) I will receive my money back, the good thing is that as it was a credit card transaction I am covered, but that isn't the point.

So, rant over; if you are considering a shed / cabin, go elsewhere, or be prepared for a merry-go-round.

I have a lovely concrete base in the garden and suspect I will just make my own shed to go on top.
V2orV4

Re: Waltons Sheds - AVOID at all costs

Post by V2orV4 »

FYI, I think there is someone on the forum who supplies sheds etc, think he is Shedman, perhaps he can advise you once you have got your refund sorted. Just a thought!
simonw

Post by simonw »

Why not build one yourself? You can make it much stronger and better for almost the same money you buy online. Four 4x2 frames, all screwed together, cut and pitch the roof (see http://www.blocklayer.com/roof/raftereng.aspx for how to cut the birdsmouths etc), wrap it in tyvec (and optionally Celotex), get some old slates from a local roofer and slate the roof, then clad it in whatever you fancy - cedar, shingles, shiplap etc. (thumbs)
IainD

Post by IainD »

simonw wrote:Why not build one yourself? You can make it much stronger and better for almost the same money you buy online. Four 4x2 frames, all screwed together, cut and pitch the roof (see http://www.blocklayer.com/roof/raftereng.aspx for how to cut the birdsmouths etc), wrap it in tyvec (and optionally Celotex), get some old slates from a local roofer and slate the roof, then clad it in whatever you fancy - cedar, shingles, shiplap etc. (thumbs)
Thanks (thumbs)

I design buildings as a day job, usually Hospitals, Schools, Industrial etc. and had costed out how much it would cost me to do it myself, which while slightly cheaper would have meant knocking other things on the head. The issue is time, which I don't have much spare this year.

I have a base now so probably will do it myself, though not until September, when i get a bit of spare time (though I was planning a trip to Skye, which might now become a weekend blast)

4x2 is overkill for a shed, you can build houses out of that. For a 3.3mx2.9m (to match the base) I will probably just use 2x2 in the corners and around the door, then clad in 19mm T+G flooring profile after a quick run over with a plane to amend the profile. (if you went for 28mm T+G you could do without the frame completely by interlocking, but still more expensive)

No trusses required, just form in purlins gable to gable and use more flooring or ply. I have some Sarna (single ply PVC) for the roof finish, which can be welded with a DIY heat gun, albeit rather slowly.

You've got me started now (which I was planning to avoid) I'll draw it up properly and post here for anyone who is interested.

When I get the time that is.......
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

I've got plans to build a shed out of new scaffold boards. 6m x 3m. I built all the units and work surfaces in my kitchen with the same
geoham

Post by geoham »

I'm building a 12ft x 20ft shed at the minute out of pallets.
Using them as the framing then doing the outside in either treated barrel board or T&G.
Cheap as I got large 10ft x 6ft pallets for free and they were all dry and in like new condition.
Im using tyvek and I was given a large pvc window.
simonw

Post by simonw »

IainD wrote:..4x2 is overkill for a shed...
I like overkill :) (thumbs)

I built a couple of sheds in this way, and managed to get some Spanish slates which had been taken off an NHBC job by the local roofing company because they didn't meet UK building regs. Googled "how to slate a roof" on Friday and slated it on Saturday! :) One is cedar clad and the other is covered in cedar shingles which were left over from a local church job, again from the local roofing company. Learnt a lot, had some good manly construction fun, bought lots of lovely 18v tools I'll probably never use again and have a couple of very useful buildings which should be good for 50 years and which cost a fraction of what a company would have charged. :)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

the best way, you get exactly what you want, doing a 20 x 12 and saving all the timber and steel as it comes into work from packing cases.

steve
Har65

Post by Har65 »

Sounds interesting
Would be good to post some pics to see the finish you achieved !!!
Could even turn into alternative uses thread ,,,,
Har65

Post by Har65 »

KTMBLAG wrote:I've got plans to build a shed out of new scaffold boards. 6m x 3m. I built all the units and work surfaces in my kitchen with the same
Bugger just re read your post

You have plans not a finished project .......

Read twice, reply once .

Return to “THE PUB”