Anyone rode a motorbike without a helmet?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Anyone rode a motorbike without a helmet?

Post by SteveW »

I don't mean through a car park or round the block. I mean a proper ride in a country where it's legal, or in Britain when it was legal.
I've done a few short 10-20 mile trips here in the states without a helmet, mostly when I've had my daughter's boy friend or my wife on the back....I've only got one helmet with me and it seems kinda unfair for me to have a helmet on whilst the pillion's bare headed.
It's legal here of course....but it's illegal to ride without eye protection.
It's okay, you do tend to ride a bit slower though.
I remember when I got my sports moped in 1975, not long after the helmet rule came in, there was uproar within the biking fraternity. Civil liberties and all that.
lancashirelad

Re: Anyone rode a motorbike without a helmet?

Post by lancashirelad »

I got my first bike a C15T on the road the day of my 16th birthday in 1969 & rode for years without a helmet you never gave the danger side of it a thought & of course we knew nowt about "civil liberties" in them days anyone who was anyone in the trials fraternity rode in a Belstaff Trials Master jacket a flat cap called a ratter!! I doubt l'd feel safe on ask bike theses days 'bout a helmet l'm not sure l'd like to risk an open face helmet these days either?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Nearest i get is this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_QPh ... G_2607.JPG

Might look a twat but at least i can see the WHOLE WORLD around me , its cooler , lighter and you get used to the flavour of flies :laugh:
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I used to ride my 500 triumph back in 1968 to my girlfriends house (now my wife ) she would wear my helmet , and off we would go to meet up with mates at the local bikers cafe , (thumbs)
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

Bologna about 30 years ago on a Moto Morini factory visit. Great perhiferal (spl?) vision, could see stuff coming up the side of you far earlier than wearing a lid....needed to as well with 2 and 4 wheels coming at you from all directions.
Felt OK actually, extra vision might help you avoid a hit.....but of course, if you do get clobbered.....
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I rode around India for months without a helmet, its only mandatory in the Cities which you want to avoid on a bike anyway.

India0012.jpg
India0012.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

a few times in the uk on closed roads on the fatboy and in the usa, a great way to ride and the awareness really is enhanced once you get over the apprehension, bit like driving without the seat belt, it dont just feel right.
also riding without leathers an armor that does not feel right as well

steve
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Greece 2006, I used to hire the same DT125 every year and go trail riding in the mountains. No helmet but always took my gloves :laugh:

one-legged adventurer
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

I started riding in 1965 and wore a helmet most of the time because it was more comfortable, especially if it was cold or wet.These days I wear an open face in the summer and a flip up full face in the winter.
Personally I think the pleasures of riding without a helmet are overstated except when it's stinking hot.
moto al

Post by moto al »

My great pal mick devlin , fell off his bike traveling about max 20 mph his head hit the kerb . That was in 1971 . And I still miss his company , and great Witt . Al
moto al

Return to “THE PUB”