looking for some legal advice on speeding

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
YOSHIWOLVES

looking for some legal advice on speeding

Post by YOSHIWOLVES »

received a NIP in the post today for a speeding offence, 58 in a 50,, I checked out the photographic evidence online but the photos are only of the front of the bike so no way of identification, but they obviously got my number after I had passed the camera van,, so my question is can they prosecute me on the evidence of the photos even though they dont show a number plate ?
thanks in advance :)
Agent Orange

Re: looking for some legal advice on speeding

Post by Agent Orange »

I think these new vans have cameras both ways and are linked, by time or elapsed time. Ie if your speeding and a piccie taken from the front at 1200:00and they have you from the rear at 1200:04 with your plate and same gear etc. Bang to rights I reckon. Are you the only one in the shot?
No expert mind :whistle:
YOSHIWOLVES

Post by YOSHIWOLVES »

yep, the only one in shot im afraid :(
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

The evidence provided to you is ambiquous at least given it has no number plate in the images.You could argue that these images are unrecognisable from many other bikes if there are no distinguishing features.Did they offer the speed awarness course?
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I'm afraid they can - I was prosecuted for 99.8 in a 70. They only had the front photo of the bike but after legal advice I was advised not to fight it.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

They have a photo , probably side mounted photos also and also the witness evidence of the operator that writes down your registration number...all perfectly acceptable to a court ...
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Not enough witnesses

If the speeding charge was brought through an eye-witness account rather than by record from a camera or speed gun, there must be at least two witnesses. One witness alone is not enough for a speeding charge.
https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Sorry to say but the speed camera vans also have a camera in the front linked to the speed camera in the back. So once the speed camera gets you the other camera get a pic of number plate on way past. :(

I was up at Inverarery one day, and the police had an open day letting the public into the vans and explained how it all worked.

I dont know about other places but the Scottish police appear to more keen to prevent things like speeding in the first place.
YOSHIWOLVES

Post by YOSHIWOLVES »

not sure if I will get offered the speed awerness course, get to know that when I reply with the forms,,

the thing that ticks me off is it says in the paperwork that they prosecute for the speed limit of 10% plus three,,, that's 58 in my case, so if I had been doing 57 I would be ok,,, my own fault I know,, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
thanks for the replys (thumbs)
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Andi_Archer wrote:Not enough witnesses

If the speeding charge was brought through an eye-witness account rather than by record from a camera or speed gun, there must be at least two witnesses. One witness alone is not enough for a speeding charge.
https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding
Nonsense..I spent 30 yrs prosecuting people ...single witness supported by technical means equals ample evidence to prosecute ...

( actually if you read what you actually posted it agrees with me ...)

Return to “THE PUB”