brexit and your right to be proud of your country

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: brexit and your right to be proud of your country

Post by -Ralph- »

Can't say I've ever been very proud of this country, can't say I'm very proud of the mess we are in at the moment either. Only reason I'm here is a good economy, hence a good job, and I speak English. And because the only other 1st world countries whose languages I speak aren't any better, USA (worse than us), France (Bankrupt), Canada (bloody freezing), Australia (don't know never been there, and very far from friends and family). The French speaking side of Belgium might be tempting. Or possibly look for a job in Dublin.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

AndyB wrote:I don't think voting out was driven by racism apart from in very small numbers but unfortunately we, like may other countries, have some extremely stupid people who are now being openly racist.

I'm embarrassed by it. My wife and I are away on holiday and watching the German (English speaking) news channel in our hotel is showing me how low we've fallen in other countries eyes. They've been interviewing politicians from different countries and the unanimous verdict from them is if we don't like them we need to leave as soon as possible and be prepared to be financially hammered.
You're right about having some stupid people in this country. My colleague was sitting on a bus today listening to someone who is convinced the earth is flat.

For me, this Brexit vote wasn't against the people of other countries. It was a vote against a political system whose aim, I think, is something I don't want.
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

I was at my youngest daughter's Brownie making ceremony last night. There was no mention of any religion or anything I believe could be offensive in her promise and I felt proud that her allegiance is now to the Queen and the Brownie Code.

I could sign up for that right now!
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Iam very proud of my country and the UK as a whole. Perhaps its easy for me being a HM Armed forces veteran. Were not perfect but ive seen much, much worse. Ralph you say you,ve never been proud of this country fair enough but perhaps if you where looking at it from where i stand you,d think differently. I remember when a local Northern Irish lad was being brought home through Royal Wootton Bassett the pride i felt in that towns voluntary dignified show of respect to the nations fallen sons and daughters regardless of thier colour or creed which was applauded through out much of the world.
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Here's something you should be proud of young men giving their lives so we can have such any easy excistence.

I voted out and i'm not a racist, I just don't believe in a united states of Europe which is the way it's going.I believe that we should be making our own decisions on immigration and making our own laws. Why do we need to spend £34m a day for someone in Europe to tell us what we can and can't do ?? make no mistake more countries will leave unless more power is handed back to them.How surprising is it to see how much we are hated by countries that last week were our "friends" and now loath us ,we can finally see their true colours.Watching it on TV last night, Brussels looked like a parliament full of spongers who are only worried about their wages and pensions. I also laugh at Nicola sturgeon wanting to split so scotland can stay in the EU does she not realise it was a UK vote and the uk voted out.last time i looked scotland was in the uk, same as N Ireland !! or maybe some politicians want to break it down into separate towns so London stays in and Leeds is out.The vote has been cast and we all have to stop moaning and get on with it.The sun will still rise tomorrow !!
burrenman

Post by burrenman »

You are incorrect. We allow more migrants from outside The EU into this country than from the common market.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

I'm grateful that I wasn't born in one of the very many sh1tholes there are across the world.
But I'm not sure that is the same thing as being proud of either my country or some fellow Brits.
moto al

Post by moto al »

image_2016-06-29-3.jpeg
image_2016-06-29-3.jpeg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
(thumbs) (thumbs) Al
moto al
micksea

Post by micksea »

moto al wrote:
image_2016-06-29-3.jpeg
(thumbs) (thumbs) Al
Yes al,we all heard him begging...I'm sure he'll be first in line for the scraps (thumbs)
micksea

Post by micksea »

AndyB wrote:I don't think voting out was driven by racism apart from in very small numbers but unfortunately we, like may other countries, have some extremely stupid people who are now being openly racist.

I'm embarrassed by it. My wife and I are away on holiday and watching the German (English speaking) news channel in our hotel is showing me how low we've fallen in other countries eyes. They've been interviewing politicians from different countries and the unanimous verdict from them is if we don't like them we need to leave as soon as possible and be prepared to be financially hammered.
Couldn't they find a politician who has reached puberty yet? Just because we don't want to be in their club dosn't mean we don't like them,and as for threatening us with a spite filled financial hammering is just pathetic.they ought to remember that they don't like it up em

Return to “THE PUB”