brexit and your right to be proud of your country

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
rlkat

Re: brexit and your right to be proud of your country

Post by rlkat »

[email protected] wrote:
Mawsley wrote:I will never understand people who express "pride" over a land mass. Accidents of birth hardly seem to be something worth celebrating.
Absolutely.

But I can be ashamed over the way my nation is acting.
That's quite a strong word. What are you 'ashamed' of?
I've no idea how to add a signature.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

rlkat wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Mawsley wrote:I will never understand people who express "pride" over a land mass. Accidents of birth hardly seem to be something worth celebrating.
Absolutely.

I can't speak for Steve but personally I'm ashamed of the fact that the vote last week has exposed the unacceptable face of racism in my country. It's even been discussed by the UN so doesn't that leave you ashamed?
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

rlkat wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Absolutely.

Simple. Stupidity.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

AndyB wrote:
rlkat wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Absolutely.

I can't speak for Steve but personally I'm ashamed of the fact that the vote last week has exposed the unacceptable face of racism in my country. It's even been discussed by the UN so doesn't that leave you ashamed?
Is a more reasonable answer. Than my rather irritated stupidity line.

Sat with a bunch of colleagues from all over the world earlier. Everyone has the same question, what were you thinking?

Me, I thought people were stupid to buy the lies of the out camp. . And that's being generous, some were also bigoted.
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

I'll say nothing other than my business has already taken a massive downturn.

However, people, had their reasons and I accept that, for many, I have great sympathy.

I have to be positive to survive and suggest we all are. We build from this ruin and ensure the political masters who brought this on us never have the chance to ruin our lives in such a way again.

Not what you may hear in the Sun, but as far as I am concerned, by far the best route.
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

AndyB wrote:
rlkat wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Absolutely.

Racism is nothing new and it's in every country. The vote has hardly 'exposed' it. Football (domestic and international) has been doing that, week in, week out, for years. Nobody can condone the racist incidents reported after the vote. Who did them? I don't know. What were their motives? I don't know.
What I do know (and this isn't aimed at you) is that I object to the underlying notion that voting 'out' was, by default, a racist choice which has shamed the nation.
I've no idea how to add a signature.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I don't think voting out was driven by racism apart from in very small numbers but unfortunately we, like may other countries, have some extremely stupid people who are now being openly racist.

I'm embarrassed by it. My wife and I are away on holiday and watching the German (English speaking) news channel in our hotel is showing me how low we've fallen in other countries eyes. They've been interviewing politicians from different countries and the unanimous verdict from them is if we don't like them we need to leave as soon as possible and be prepared to be financially hammered.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Immigration is a funny old thing..

We let some in and keep others out.

Why do we let as many poles, greeks etc in as can buy a plane ticket but keep Indians, Arabs and Africans out?

Surely the way current immigration is managed in the EU is racist? What more value do you place on a polish 18 year old then a Syrian 18 year old?

Why do we allow unlimited immigration form members of a select club only?

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

AndyB wrote:I don't think voting out was driven by racism apart from in very small numbers but unfortunately we, like may other countries, have some extremely stupid people who are now being openly racist.

I'm embarrassed by it. My wife and I are away on holiday and watching the German (English speaking) news channel in our hotel is showing me how low we've fallen in other countries eyes. They've been interviewing politicians from different countries and the unanimous verdict from them is if we don't like them we need to leave as soon as possible and be prepared to be financially hammered.
If their news channels are as accurate and unbiased as ours were, then their articles and opinions aren't worth a light ...if our news had been any good they wouldn't have been predicting ( and backing) a remain vote ...

I wonder if their politicians are as duplicitous as ours? Maybe be suggesting a quick exit they are hoping to play a sort of poker game where we fold ....? Wouldn't trust them any more than I trust ours ...
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Last night a mate from New York called me as he'd heard about the Brexit and the really bad things that were going on over here.

I said what bad things....? In the US press it's all doom and gloom and the end of the world..just like the BBC is as well. He was expecting riots, people jumping off buildings because they have lost everything, polish people being packed up on trucks and kicked back into the sea.

Once again lets not believe what the man on the TV tells us.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Return to “THE PUB”