Home CCTV / Security Cameras - any experts here ??

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Kinioo

Home CCTV / Security Cameras - any experts here ??

Post by Kinioo »

Morning All,

Ok some to***rs stole our reg plates from both of our cars last night. In the past I lost two antennas and mirror covers, so I really fed up.

I need some CCTV/security cameras installed around my house.

I will need 4 of them.

Was looking at Swann range with Hard drive etc. however few questions here and what I am after:

- good picture quality day/night-time to up to 30m;
- as little cables as possible but don't want to go wireless cameras;

_ I would like to be able to get access on-line, so the hard drive will need connection to the internet, but...my router is downstairs and the hard drive will be upstairs, so it means tones of cables running through my house to hard-wired it to the hub. Is there any hard drive options with Wi-Fi, so it can connect wirelessly to my router ??

What do you recommend (makes, models and installation tips all very welcome).

Any good deals at the moment ?

Many thanks,

Chris
Mike54

Re: Home CCTV / Security Cameras - any experts here ??

Post by Mike54 »

Cant help with the cameras but do file a police report about the plates. They could end up used on other cars with all kinds of offences.
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

Hi Chris,

Sounds like someone likes your stuff!

Fitting security cameras may make you feel a bit safer, and may show you what's going on outside your house, but it probably won't stop the thefts. If the scumbags have any brains they will be hooded up/scarves over faces anyway. If I was you, I'd take a good hard look as to why they are targeting you- for example are your vehicles tucked away out of view, not overlooked by anyone. Any chance of parking in a better place? Could you improve lighting, cut down hedges etc just to make the scumbags feel more exposed etc.

No doubt your plates will be appearing on another car sometime, so make sure you report the theft!

I'm sure some people will be advising more unconventional methods to catch the toe rags!
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

Mike 54, you just beat me to it!
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Mike54 wrote:Cant help with the cameras but do file a police report about the plates. They could end up used on other cars with all kinds of offences.
Did that first thing !

C.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I once enquired at my local burglar alarm supplier about fitting cameras, they told me they're pointless as they can be defeated by a 50p balaclava
andymac

Post by andymac »

Screenshot_2016-06-14-11-05-25.png
Screenshot_2016-06-14-11-05-25.png (443.76 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
I have cctv,wouldn't be without it now, contact sat secure in Stockport. Great to deal with.
U want tvi dome cameras.
I can have live viewing or historic viewing on my smartphone when Im away or lying in bed, lol!!
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
andymac

Post by andymac »

andymac

Post by andymac »

[attachment:1]Screenshot_2016-06-14-11-09-16.png[/attachment]
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Wired is best,wireless is a waste of money due to interference and WiFi units still need power supplys wired to the units or power over network cabling so your still wiring it anyway.

I have four 720p wired camera set up to a central 24/7 DVR recording unit with 500GB harddrive.Its set to record on motion detection with resonable resolution during the daytime and falls to infrared lighting giving black and white images at night.

For the area near my vehicles and garage I use a 1.8mm lens unit to give a wider image due to the closeness the rest are 4mm lenses.A 6mm lens is more binocular if your a distance from camera to area under observation.

Power.CCTV and audio cables available if needed

http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/help/info/lenses.htm
A basic 4 input DVR unit with internal hard drive @ 25 frames/second [software interfaces are basic but they work] you can get 8 inputs but runs @ 12 frames/second

NOTE: The units dont usually come with the drive so needs purchasing seperatly.
You may need a splitter cable at the back of the unit to supply the CCTV cameras if it only has one 12v output for the cameras

You can either wire the output from the DVR unit to yout TV or use a seperate monitor [vga/hdmi depending on unit].

As to does it reduce the risk of theft much like an alarm and good locks its another layer of deterent.Any security can be bypassed one way or another be it picking,bolt croppers or simply ramming a door.

Return to “THE PUB”