England / United Kingdom

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
V_King

Re: England / United Kingdom

Post by V_King »

IMHO a very majority of English / Brits don't know themselves what is where. English is my second language and I was studying the language from books prepared in UK for foreign students. All the books were from UK yet neither of them explained what is how and where with UK flags. And all of them had the Union flag next to English on their covers. For the last few days I've been looking at websites and all of them use Union flags or yankee flag for the English website version. What is more, put 'England flag' in google and click on images....
""
Tenere Mart

Post by Tenere Mart »

Guise the Germans are still bitter over the history ..... of England than America..
And yes probly some ingerant nob in India has no knowledge of this country history and meanings behind it ... on the flag issue of this post .
MART
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Forgetting about the England/ GB/ UK thing, the union flag is a design icon, and instantly recognisable around the globe. I'm English, probably got some distant Roman and or Viking ancestors, but like many I feel the flag of St George has been hijacked by the football hooligans (ok I know it hasn't) and that others seeing it as a representation of the aforementioned hooligans. I refuse to display the red cross for that very reason. I even wear a French rugby shirt, but mainly because the blue matches my eyes and the ladies love a French accent.
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

:lol:

A post about England and English that contains some class spelling and grammar :laugh:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

V_King wrote:IMHO a very majority of English / Brits don't know themselves what is where. English is my second language and I was studying the language from books prepared in UK for foreign students. All the books were from UK yet neither of them explained what is how and where with UK flags. And all of them had the Union flag next to English on their covers. For the last few days I've been looking at websites and all of them use Union flags or yankee flag for the English website version. What is more, put 'England flag' in google and click on images....
English is the UK's main language, spoken throughout Scotland, Wales, NI, etc, so the Union Jack is the right flag to symbolise it.

England is part of the UK, so is entitled to use the Union Jack as it's flag, just the same as Scotland, Wales, NI, etc are also.

The problem with the Royal Enfield website is not the use of the flag, it's the use if the word "England" to denote the UK website, it fails to recognise that there is more than one country in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
V_King

Post by V_King »

-Ralph- wrote:
V_King wrote:IMHO a very majority of English / Brits don't know themselves what is where. English is my second language and I was studying the language from books prepared in UK for foreign students. All the books were from UK yet neither of them explained what is how and where with UK flags. And all of them had the Union flag next to English on their covers. For the last few days I've been looking at websites and all of them use Union flags or yankee flag for the English website version. What is more, put 'England flag' in google and click on images....
English is the UK's main language, spoken throughout Scotland, Wales, NI, etc, so the Union Jack is the right flag to symbolise it.

England is part of the UK, so is entitled to use the Union Jack as it's flag, just the same as Scotland, Wales, NI, etc are also.

The problem with the Royal Enfield website is not the use of the flag, it's the use if the word "England" to denote the UK website, it fails to recognise that there is more than one country in the UK.

For a lot of the new RE marketing, engineering and other functions for western markets the RE owners are cashing out in UK (got two engineering friends working for their new engineering department in UK). There might be an irony there that the website was actually designed and built by the UK company :D
""
-Ralph-

England / United Kingdom

Post by -Ralph- »

Now the news are doing the same with the football fans. Suddenly it's the "British" fans in trouble. No, Welsh and Northern Irish fans have behaved perfectly. It's the "English" fans.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “THE PUB”