What would you do? What can I do?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Bodysnatcher

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Hi, as title.
Here's the story. Bought an 18 month old bike from a dealer ( not picked up yet ) but finance signed, deal done. Happy days (maybe not ).
Dealer advertised bike as ex demo with 7k miles and 3 months warranty. They would not budge on price as it was supposed to be heavily discounted (2k) less than new. I need the bike capable of taking a pillion, so it had to be fitted with racks, pegs and I wanted another (second hand) accessory which bumped the price up by £650 in total.
Now here's me being a MUG and to trusting. Drove 15 hours round trip for demo ride only to be told that the bike I'm buying is no longer on their fleet insurance but I could ride one of their new demo bikes. Sounded plausible at the time. Anyhow ride was fine, not to happy with deal but gave deposit and set finance in motion.
Got home started doing some research and found that the bike in question had done a major trip of 5k (at least 1k totally off road with desserts and thigh high water crossings). The bike has never been registered in the dealer's name, but was sold to the customer who did the trip. The customer has supposedly traded it in for another new one.
So the optimist view is I could have bought it privately and not found out about the history and been happy with my purchase.
The pessimistic view is it has never been a demo bike (as far as I can tell). It has been ragged to death on a major expedition (only one careful owner). The dealer as far as I'm concerned has been very sparingly with the truth and would I trust them.(probably not)
This dealer is very well known and seems to be well respected (hence no names)
The bike is the only type suitable for me and in some ways knowing the history is online is appealing. However I think the way the dealer has used cloaks and dagger tactics during the sale has pissed me off a bit. Today the logbook came 4 days after signing up.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks
GB

Re: What would you do? What can I do?

Post by GB »

Alarm bells rang when you said a demo had 7000miles on it. You are within your rights to get the deal cancelled within 7 days of purchase. Do you still have the advert stating it was a dealer demo only bike? I would expain you are not happy with the bikes history as it was not how it was advertised and you either want the deal cancelled or some kind financial reward in your favour like a discount or accessories, presumming you still want the bike.
Finally back on a GS :D
Bodysnatcher

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Hi GB,thanks for the reply. Can't really say to much without giving the game away on the dealer but this is doing my head in. The deal is worth over £6k and the idea was that when I got a bit more sorted I would buy another brand new one and my wife would get this one. What do you think would be a reasonable amount ask for off. I thought at the time they would discount the accessories but NO,they wouldn't deal at all. If it was any other type of bike I would just walk away. The other thing is they have got my deposit and the finance is through along with the logbook. Am I not SCREWED.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Id tell them to all get stuffed BUT you will.have to pay for work done to fit accessories as per your requirement..

The bike was purely not sold as advertised provide your evidencebto the dealer and finance company...play hard ball and dont take any excuse...

Always another bike around the corner but its your choice and money ....
Bodysnatcher

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Thats part of the problem. There's not another bike round the corner and they know it, hence not dealing. From what I can see on the forums, the dealer is very friendly and helpful. But in my experience something has gone wrong. Some of you will probably be able to work out who the dealer is. The advert was on eBay but has since gone as there was more than one available (only one that suited me though). I've been so looking forward to owning one of these but it's gone a bit pear shaped. Thanks
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Speak to your finance company because if they've financed a bike that isn't as advertised they'll be just as unhappy as you are.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

AndyB wrote:Speak to your finance company because if they've financed a bike that isn't as advertised they'll be just as unhappy as you are.[/quote

Plus one on this. Speak with the finance company and be quick about it.
Never get all loved up over any purchase. Walk away, it's obviously not a straight deal so why get involved and risk hassle. For all you know the bike was never run in properly and as you say could have had the nuts thrashed off it from day one. Don't be a mug, walk away.
There is always another deal around the corner.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

AndyB wrote:Speak to your finance company because if they've financed a bike that isn't as advertised they'll be just as unhappy as you are.
Double entry on reply. Mod pls del. Thanks. (thumbs)
Bodysnatcher

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Thanks for the replies. As I say there's not many bikes to choose from,for me. The bike may be a good one (certainly well tested), but it's the way the dealer has gone about it. If I pull out of the deal I will more than likely lose money and might get black marks on my credit score (don't know). I really want one of these bikes but if it falls through, I think it will be a couple of years before I would go for it again. Was meant to be at a get together in the West of Scotland on the bike but things just ain't worked out . Two other's are going to the event, it would have been great to talk with other owners. Thanks
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

Not as advertised, my advice GTFO !!

£2k below new price???
It's not new it's got 7k miles on it.
Not reg to the dealer, not a dealer I'd trust.
It sounds like you really want this bike, but honestly bro I'd walk away.
Oh and as others have said, get in touch with the finance Co.

You say you don't want to name and shame the dealer,
But you don't say what bike it is.

Dog

Return to “THE PUB”