GoPros and other devices

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
RavenstoneGSA

GoPros and other devices

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

Hi All, I fitted a GoPro to my helmet last week and had go at filming my ride home from work. I've done a bit of editing before and I was really pleased with the results, particularly the sound which I recorded on a Zoom H2N. I think helmet cams are a great idea as a bit of fun and much more seriously as a form of protection or potential evidence. I've been reading a few articles from Australia and the USA where the authorities are attempting to ban any device fixed to your helmet. This includes comms and cameras. I really like the eye level view of the helmet cam and the fact that it follows where you're looking. Apparently the attachment infringes helmet safety certification but in most cases the devices are stuck or clipped on. Seems a shame to restrict what is becoming essential safety kit. Cheers, John
MikeC

Re: GoPros and other devices

Post by MikeC »

Essential safety kit?

I respectfully disagree, there's nothing in such devices going to make you safer. Most evidence is inadmissable as prior to it capturing any 'issues' the previously recorded material has so many legal infringements it's best not submitted as evidence.

IMHO, another piece of electronic nonsense, not needed, bought with money better spent elsewhere, to impress other people we don't know or like.

Enjoy it anyway.

:whistle:
RandG

Post by RandG »

MikeC wrote:Essential safety kit?

I respectfully disagree, there's nothing in such devices going to make you safer. Most evidence is inadmissable as prior to it capturing any 'issues' the previously recorded material has so many legal infringements it's best not submitted as evidence.

IMHO, another piece of electronic nonsense, not needed, bought with money better spent elsewhere, to impress other people we don't know or like.

Enjoy it anyway.

:whistle:
ye, what he said (thumbs) on top of that, you look a fucking dickhead with it on, ok occasionally, on hols/track etc, but daily, you look a dick. :whistle:
RavenstoneGSA

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

Isn't that a camera on top of your head???
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

RavenstoneGSA wrote:Isn't that a camera on top of your head???
Bawaaaahaha! Touché. (thumbs)

Nick.
RavenstoneGSA

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

Just teasing!

I really like this forum, you can always expect an honest answer even if its a different point of view. I like the GoPro and have found that people notice it, particularly in slow traffic where you might be filtering. Weirdly I tend to be a bit more thoughtful about my riding knowing that someone else might see it.

I like the DIY film part of it too, its a bit of a hobby doing the editing etc. On a more serious note camera footage as evidence is quite a new thing and I think it is likely to become more common. I've seen it used by horse riders and once its out in the world its very hard to ignore.

If things go really wrong there is the potential to film your own demise, not a very comforting thought but as a recent case proved the camera doesn't lie.
RandG

Post by RandG »

RavenstoneGSA wrote:Isn't that a camera on top of your head???
:P bit of illegal riding is always worth capturing :lol:
RavenstoneGSA

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

Absolutely, nice wheelie!
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

I don't think a law would be enforced, we cant enforce the "driving while using a mobile phone or whatever it is" due to the lack of police these days. I use mine when touring, not videoing but set to taking pictures every 60 seconds (thumbs)
RavenstoneGSA

Post by RavenstoneGSA »

That's a really good idea, I think mine can do that.

Return to “THE PUB”