can a xt660z fit in a vw transporter?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
redbikejohn

can a xt660z fit in a vw transporter?

Post by redbikejohn »

As head suggests can a tenere fit in the back of a std height swb transporter? Trying to get the Mrs on board with getting a van and one of the things she's keen on is packing the bike in the back and setting off up to Scotland to tour about but using the van to do all the boring motorways. So has anyone tried it ? I don't mind taking the screen off. Load height measurements don't tell the whole story so I like to hear from people with experience.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
special one

Re: can a xt660z fit in a vw transporter?

Post by special one »

I doubt it will fit without removing stuff, I had my explorer in my medium roof transit which is massive compared to a transporter, there wasn't lots of clearance getting it through the doors, loads once level.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Haha!
Aren't forums great! Guaranteed to get you confused, me and KTM Deano shipped my GS800 and his KTM990r out to Bulgaria last year and the pair fitted in the back of my standard height SWB Transporter van without taking the screens off.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Been looking on eBay and checking the kombi vans out. Seen some nice ones and emailed Mrs up got the "too high milage" back. :( can't afford anything with low miles on !
Yamaha tenere 700

motorbike

Post by motorbike »

could you try rent one ,and try it out...sometimes the sizes dont equate to practicality
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I had to remove the screen, slacken the bars and lean them back then compress the forks slightly using a ratchet strap but that was with non standard bars fitted.

There's loads of room once the bike is in but the roof curves over slightly at the back losing you a couple of inches initially which is what causes the problem. I was also using a plastic scaffold board to load the bike so that would have cost another inch or so.
boatman

Post by boatman »

Dunno about the van thing, BUT if you want ,you can have it transported up to Scotland and I would easily store it for you ,and you can drive up and ride out from southern Scotland ,n then have it picked back up n returned.
I have a good clean secure garage on my own private property ( there's no bike stealing around these parts)
It could keep my tenere company while your away
RandG

Post by RandG »

I can fit a tenere in a fiat doblo but have to remove the front seat, in fact a GSA can fit in a fiat doblo
r6eck

Post by r6eck »

Yes you can, remove screen and mirrors (thumbs)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Thanks for the offer of bike storage up in Scotland but :whistle: I really want a van to transport my race bike (thumbs) but have to get Mrs on side due to needing to sell the car (no room for both in drive ). The transporting the tenure is one of her requests not mine. I want a hiace but we went to look at one this weekend and she hated it. Too much like a tin can. Likes transporter due to it being more like a car .
Yamaha tenere 700

Return to “THE PUB”