Unseen cost's

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Redmurty

Unseen cost's

Post by Redmurty »

Had a bitter sweet morning.

Just heard from an Ex Royal Marine mate of mine who had slipped of the scope some years ago. His PTSD has gotten worse to the point that he ended up being sectioned. This is the hidden cost of Irag/Afgan which is costing and going to cost us all lots in the future.
So if you have people thinking of joining the military please make them aware of some of the hidden costs of serving your country.

Get well soon Royal Machine have missed your laugh mate

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
daytona-supersport

Re: Unseen cost's

Post by daytona-supersport »

Add onto this, the way being moved about and how it buggers up your home and family life, you lose contact with friends, if you have bought a house it may be rented out for years while you are in barracks in the middle of nowhere. There is a strong piss up/beer call culture because there is sod all else to do. The sports side can be good, but does this make up for the rubbish that you have to put up with. Where else can you get a job where the pay is nothing special, the prospects for many of the skills learnt in the forces are not transferable to civilian life. Travel to interesting places, (another shit hole), and get shot at and bombed by friendly locals. :(

Best advice. Think twice before signing up. Then think again.
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

i thought about it myself many years ago (long line of ancestors who faught/served including both parents) but realised the uk isnt worth dying for, or even fighting for...
my dad had PTSD from the lokerbee (spelt wrong?) bombing, he was on cleanup duty and it scarred him for life....
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

23 years and id do it all again. The worst thing for most soldiers isent life in the forces its life after the forces. Eventually you end up in civi street working with a bunch of people who walked straight into an office or factory from school and for them excitment/adventure is a package holiday to Spain. They dont get you and you dont want to get them. Why do you think there are so many ex forces bods on here. I think its because we seek out like minded people who not nessecarily are ex forces but arnt content to go through life rapped in cotton wool only to arrive safely at death. Yea the real problems start when you take the uniform off.
Redmurty iam sorry for your mate, i often visit Brookwood military cemetary to visit some of my old friends. Salute.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Mac 60 wrote:23 years and id do it all again. The worst thing for most soldiers isent life in the forces its life after the forces. Eventually you end up in civi street working with a bunch of people who walked straight into an office or factory from school and for them excitment/adventure is a package holiday to Spain. They dont get you and you dont want to get them. Why do you think there are so many ex forces bods on here. I think its because we seek out like minded people who not nessecarily are ex forces but arnt content to go through life rapped in cotton wool only to arrive safely at death. Yea the real problems start when you take the uniform off.
Redmurty iam sorry for your mate, i often visit Brookwood military cemetary to visit some of my old friends. Salute.
^^^^ - What he said (thumbs)
When nothing is going right - go left
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Mac 60 wrote:23 years and id do it all again. . . . . . . . Salute.
DITTO (thumbs) - except for maybe the last year :S

28 years for me. Left before my "Sell by Date" as I'd had enough of politics taking us places we didn't belong.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
simonw

Post by simonw »

Redmurty wrote:..This is the hidden cost of Irag/Afgan which is costing and going to cost us all lots in the future...
It won't cost much because we don't spend enough looking after the mental health of service personnel. (Has your mate been in touch with Combat Stress, the veterans' mental health charity:http://www.combatstress.org.uk ?)
daytona-supersport wrote:..many of the skills learnt in the forces are not transferable to civilian life...
But a lot of the skills are. Problem solving, team work, initiative etc. I've worked with a few ex-forces and they've all been excellent - I wouldn't hesitate to employ anyone like them again.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Cheers lads will pass on the thoughts even that little helps.

For those that served and loved I'm happy for you, me personally do I regret doing it no, would I do it again no unless there was a war worth fighting for. A lot of my misfortune in the military was erm down to my erm attitude as IF :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: happiest time in the job my diving course and erm navy prison (thumbs) got looked after there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They told me I would see the world yeah right :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I don't understand why the military still seems to have a culture of ignoring and not dealing with mental health issues like PTSD. It's a bit like getting a cold after being pised wet through and cold for a day or two, you're pretty sure you're going to get a cold. PTSD is the same with something like this, totally normal, so why dont they have banks of psychs dealing with it? Its also incredibly easy to treat as well if handled correctly. Really boils my piss to hear this continuing, just not acceptable at all.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I am an ex pongo and served in the Falklands and NI but only got PTSD after leaving the military and joining the police. I had an incident (long boring story) involving a shooting, a visit to hospital and a lot of TV cameras.

However what I wanted to say was that my PTSD manifested itself as me thinking I was bullet proof and acting like a complete animal at work (not a good thing for a copper). I would sort out fights etc on my own and got ridiculously exited when my colleagues were getting worried about impending violence and danger.

(Before anyone suggests it - I did not abuse anyone or get any complaints from the public - it did not effect my principles)

I was so bad that my mates were refusing to work with me. I was a ticking time bomb. Fortunately I was ordered to take 2 weeks off work, to cool off and the force doctor finally allowed back to work 9 months later. In the mean time I received counselling and was sent to Aikido classes to temper my anger.

It worked. I am now a retired and only slightly mad person. :evil: I am also now the proud owner of a longer surname courtesy of Her Majesty. (thumbs)

So YES. IMHO, treatment does work and should be freely available especially to those that serve our country.

Return to “THE PUB”