EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

...and even the Daily Mail appears to be backtracking now...
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

AlanHolt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:09 am
Only 37% of the whole population want to leave
Blimey, Maths and comprehension of statistics passed you by didnt it.
Not at all, 52% of voters voted to leave the EU, but that was only 37% of the population.

Can you see the difference?
Yes, of course.............and your point?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Today's the day everyone. Rather than get bogged down in the same old arguments would anyone like to venture a prediction for the outcome?

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. May's deal is voted down.

2. Labour don't do a vote of no confidence (because they think they will lose).

3. EU give nothing.

4. MPs won't allow a No Deal.

5. Stalemate.

6. May calls a general election.

7. Exit date delayed till 01/07/19.

8. Even worse hung parliament. Tories don't go into coalition with DUP.

9. New plan that holds NI in EU if agreement can't be made is passed by a random bunch of MPs so we can exit.

10. JC still not PM and clearly never will be.

11. Guy Fawkes resurrected in secret ritual.

I doubt it's right but at this point no one has a frikken clue what the future holds.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Incredible, isn't it?

Five years ago this country was quite well respected by the rest of the world.

We are now an international laughing-stock. We have a government that even the Italians would regard as shambolic. And no coherent opposition, let alone a 'government in waiting.'

'Taking back control'

Yeah, right.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I may be being thick here, but whilst I would hope that a general election would be about a change of government and reverse the destruction of public services, I can’t see what impact it will have on Brexit. Unless Labour and the Tories change their position, the only party that are offering us anything different is the Liberals and they are not going to win. I suppose an election would force a change of Tory leader but I am not sure how that influences Brexit. May’s deal is probably the best that we would get in many ways although it still leaves a lot unanswered. Unless either Labour or the Tories offer another referendum what is the point of a general election. It just means more of the same. Part of the issue is that the Tories who generally seem to want to leave, have a Remainer as leader and Labour who generally want to remain, have a leaver as leader. Perhaps they should swap, then it all might be a bit clearer.
Cheers Jak
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Jak* wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am I may be being thick here, but whilst I would hope that a general election would be about a change of government and reverse the destruction of public services, I can’t see what impact it will have on Brexit. Unless Labour and the Tories change their position, the only party that are offering us anything different is the Liberals and they are not going to win. I suppose an election would force a change of Tory leader but I am not sure how that influences Brexit. May’s deal is probably the best that we would get in many ways although it still leaves a lot unanswered. Unless either Labour or the Tories offer another referendum what is the point of a general election. It just means more of the same. Part of the issue is that the Tories who generally seem to want to leave, have a Remainer as leader and Labour who generally want to remain, have a leaver as leader. Perhaps they should swap, then it all might be a bit clearer.
Cheers Jak
OK so I still don't want to get into a big argument but as I understand it the Tories would use a GE to get a mandate to deliver their plan, this would force all their MPs to vote for it.

Labour would say that their plan for brexit would be different and ask the electorate for a mandate to deliver that.

Another referendum would be too divisive (in the opinion of many MPs) and the question asked would be a bit tricky to write on a bit of paper.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I have a feeling that there will be a General Election and that Labour will campaign hard on a second referendum and win votes from people who would not normally vote for them. Rightly or wrongly, and without making any judgement on people's political views, we could end-up with a Labour Government by the' backdoor'.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Brenhden, apart from 11, you may be spot on.

I am concerned that Labour think they are electable unless they perjure themselves just to get a vote.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I would like for people to actually consider their vote based on the policies of the party instead of some stupid affiliation. You have people who have been working class all their lives and so they feel they 'should' vote Labour, even though they don't agree with their policies. You have business owners who feel that because they are successful, they 'should' vote conservatives even though they don't like how the country is being run. I know people who will only vote for labour because their families were affected by the miners strikes. I know people who will only vote conservatives because they were allowed to buy their council house when the right to buy was introduced. I've voted for each party at some point, based upon my life at the time and their policies at the time. They rely on people being blindly loyal, and that's why they do what they want and not what we want.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Bloomin eck, that Geoffrey Cox is a right bullying twat innit

Return to “THE PUB”