EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Pint Master

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Pint Master »

AlanHolt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm According to a report I read today, of the 52% who voted for brexit, 65% of those only voted for brexit to stop immigration. Knowing that immigration wouldn't be affected by Brexit, that means only 18.2% want to leave for other reasons, meaning 81.8% want to stay as we are.
Before the referendum 100% of polls said Remain would win.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

"Sheene or Hunt of the dirtbike world"

ain't that the truth....and, much to everyone's surprise, Noyce is the only one of the 3 who is still with us.

:D

https://www.visordown.com/features/general/graham-noyce

the picture is Noyce, 100% as described
simonw

Post by simonw »

AlanHolt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm...of the 52% who voted for brexit, 65% of those only voted for brexit to stop immigration....
What was the source of the data? I don't see how, unless that question was on the ballot papers or whoever collected the data asked a significant number of those who voted to leave the EU for their reasons (to give a substantial sample size), this statement can be made with any surety. (I would say the same about any similar sort of statements being made about those who voted to remain in the EU, or for any other matter.)

I do find statistics quoted by the media in this way to be highly dubious. They often get re-quoted by the general public as some sort of undeniable statement of fact, when in fact they often represent a very small snapshot of a very specific subject. It's very misleading.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I think its safe to say that the word 'misleading' has the overwhelming theme of Brexit from start to finish (if it ever does finish).
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Lies, damned lies and statistics.
A bit like the shampoo adverts saying 89% of people loved it.........sample size 69!!!!

A good comment this morning, I think from TM.
If Scotland had voted the same way for devolution but the govt said no there would be hell to pay.
If Remain had ‘won’ the referendum with the same percentages but the govt said enough people had voted leave so we’re leaving as it was only ‘advisory’ they would be screaming foul.
So why is it ok for the whiney Remainers to scupper Brexit?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

DavidS wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:02 pm Lies, damned lies and statistics.
A bit like the shampoo adverts saying 89% of people loved it.........sample size 69!!!!

A good comment this morning, I think from TM.
If Scotland had voted the same way for devolution but the govt said no there would be hell to pay.
If Remain had ‘won’ the referendum with the same percentages but the govt said enough people had voted leave so we’re leaving as it was only ‘advisory’ they would be screaming foul.
So why is it ok for the whiney Remainers to scupper Brexit?

How do you figure that's happening? I do wish people would stop with the "whiney remainers" name. Under these circumstances, pointing out all the problems we're going to have if we go does not make us "whiney" it makes us pragmatic and smart. We absolutely cannot afford to have a "no deal" exit, and if Parliament votes down the deal then everything is up in the air. It is so incredibly naive to say "let's just go". We can't.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

We are not scuppering brexit. Nobody is listening to us, if they were, we would have had another referendum. If it doesn't happen, blame the conservative government.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Well tomorrow night is going to be a definite deck chair, crisps and a beer moment in my three score years and ten blip of existence on this planet.

Now do I nip down to Ladbrokes beforehand!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The remain MPs are doing everything possible to undermine the process.
The voting Remainers are constantly trying to find ways to undo the result.
How else can you view it?

Separately and dangerously quoting a poll, despite all this turbulence and incompetence (on all sides) the Tories are still 41 to 35 ahead of labour. So is Corbyn brave enough?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm If it doesn't happen, blame the conservative government.
Yep, and if it DOES happen, blame the tories. Cameron's immature public school kid gamble kicked all this off, just to protect the tories from UKIP nutcases back in 2014/15. The tories own this mess and history will assign the responsibility accordingly. But if you voted tory in May 2015 or June 2017, or for brexit in 2016, then obviously you bear responsibility too. A stupidly simplistic binary and advisory referendum was always completely the wrong way to address concerns about the EU, and even the wafer-thin majority for leave was won by a campaign proven to have lied again and again, elements of which are even now in court being prosecuted for using underhand and illegal methods. It's a discredited vote.

Nothing was decided in that referendum. All it did was open up a pandora's box of prejudice, ignorance and disinformation. Then Cameron fled his post and May took over the sinking ship. After her hilarious mistake in calling the June 17 election she ended up leading a desperately weak minority government in hock to a very small bunch of extremely weird and insane DUP nutters, who then took advantage by throwing the entire Good Friday Agreement to the winds. What a shower of shit.

It is not acceptable for brexit voters now, at this stage, to say that their particular version of brexit is not being honored, in a pathetic attempt to avoid responsibility. It's simple. If you voted to 'leave' in 2016 then you knowingly risked all the consequences that are now coming to pass. You were warned back then that it might eventually lead to Scotland going independent and the return of border violence in NI. You were warned that it would likely weaken the UK economy leading to job losses and recession. You were warned that leaving the customs union could cause major hold ups and increased prices for imported goods. And you were warned that leaving the single market would permanently reduce the UK's trading status. Just because you chose blind faith in the words of Gove, Johnson, Farage and the Daily Mail and you chose to reject the wiser words of experts in trade, economics and geo-politics, does not absolve you of blame for this mess.

Return to “THE PUB”