EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm Some time ago a Shares Tipster was giving his 'picks' for UK share buys/sells if you wanted to bank on a no-deal Brexit.

His advice was buy shares in gambling, booze and fags and sell everything else.

or, in three words: 'invest in despair'.
On a brief visit to UK last Winter, I went back to one of the old towns where I lived for a while - Slough. Despite a bad reputation, Betjeman's poem, The Office, etc. I did actually quite like living in Slough in the late 90s, next to a small park behind the High Street. But it had changed a lot. Names like Marks and Spencer and Next have left, and the shops basically consist of Poundland, Wetherspoons, pawn shops, betting shops, cash converters, cheap booze off licences and loads of these pop-up stores selling plastic rubbish. At night it's a ghost town, with just fried chicken shops and fear of crime. It was depressing, because the High Street was once a lively meeting place, but clearly a sign of where the investment is being made - as you say Richard - into despair.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:21 pm
Crossrutted wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm
who the f&8k is this Dominic Cummings idiot - proof that "Care in the Community" isn't working? :lol:
He's a kind of cross-breed of Goebbels and Rasputin. Not an idiot, though. A very cunning and dangerous sociopath. Totally unfit to be anywhere near the levers of power, and ironically for brexiters he is unelected and unaccountable - the very things they wrongly accuse the EU of being! You couldn't f*cking make it up, I tell ya...
Careful now, that virtue signaling hat might slip.....

Demonising someones character because they have different views to you is at the heart of Bigotry, much worse than having a joke about an anti-social choice of clothing some would say
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HedgeHopper wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am
daveuprite wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:21 pm
Crossrutted wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm
who the f&8k is this Dominic Cummings idiot - proof that "Care in the Community" isn't working? :lol:
He's a kind of cross-breed of Goebbels and Rasputin. Not an idiot, though. A very cunning and dangerous sociopath. Totally unfit to be anywhere near the levers of power, and ironically for brexiters he is unelected and unaccountable - the very things they wrongly accuse the EU of being! You couldn't f*cking make it up, I tell ya...
Careful now, that virtue signaling hat might slip.....

Demonising someones character because they have different views to you is at the heart of Bigotry, much worse than having a joke about an anti-social choice of clothing some would say
That just reveals that you don't know me, Hedge. Those who do, know that 'virtuous' is the last word they'd use... :lol: The 'virtue signaling' accusation is a popular debating last resort but it rarely hits the target I'm afraid. It's ridiculously simplistic to think that when someone calls someone else 'a cunning sociopath' they do it mainly in order to look better themselves by comparison! Again, if you knew me you'd know that I don't rate myself very highly anyway.

My opinion of Dominic Cummings is based solely on what he has said and done. He has successfully demonised himself and needs no help from anyone else. Actually I suspect it was part of his lucrative deal with Johnson - to become the hate-figure that partly deflects from Johnson's incompetence. Quite like Goebbells, he sows the seeds of prejudice and discontent before scurrying off to the next piece of mischief, leaving powerfully pervasive lies that cut through with his target audience, few of whom ever critically investigate their 'news' feeds. If he was some outlying Tommy Robinson-like extremist this would be predictable, but he's not; he's at the heart of Downing Street right now, using your tax-payers' money to do this dirty work and taking a fat public pay cheque in return. Some of us are not OK with that.
Toe

Post by Toe »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm Some time ago a Shares Tipster was giving his 'picks' for UK share buys/sells if you wanted to bank on a no-deal Brexit.

His advice was buy shares in gambling, booze and fags and sell everything else.

or, in three words: 'invest in despair'.
On a brief visit to UK last Winter, I went back to one of the old towns where I lived for a while - Slough. Despite a bad reputation, Betjeman's poem, The Office, etc. I did actually quite like living in Slough in the late 90s, next to a small park behind the High Street. But it had changed a lot. Names like Marks and Spencer and Next have left, and the shops basically consist of Poundland, Wetherspoons, pawn shops, betting shops, cash converters, cheap booze off licences and loads of these pop-up stores selling plastic rubbish. At night it's a ghost town, with just fried chicken shops and fear of crime. It was depressing, because the High Street was once a lively meeting place, but clearly a sign of where the investment is being made - as you say Richard - into despair.
Yeah that really isn't just Slough tbh
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Chamber-House-of-Cunts-Houses-Parliament-London.jpg
Chamber-House-of-Cunts-Houses-Parliament-London.jpg (210.6 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
...just saying
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

scutty

Post by scutty »

Urgh, I saw the Daily Mail in the URL and can't bring myself to click on it...........

Is it some ranty article about 'traitors' and HoC plots where elected representatives aren't doing what the DM wants them to do; all under the false banner of 'will of the people'?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Andy, you are right to be wary of clicking on unknown links .. some may even lead to you to see the awful truth

Democracy has been made onto a dirty word in this shameful country
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

scutty wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:28 am
Urgh, I saw the Daily Mail in the URL and can't bring myself to click on it...........

Is it some ranty article about 'traitors' and HoC plots where elected representatives aren't doing what the DM wants them to do; all under the false banner of 'will of the people'?
No matter how much you disingenuous idiots try and re-write history it doesnt wash.
Our elected representatives are going against the vote of the people, thats not a false banner, the vote actually happened and Leave actually did get more Votes

Go join that twat shouting outside parliament every day as it seems loud shouty bollox has replaced democracy in this cuntry
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Methinks Bercow is probably the biggest traitor.
I can’t believe the Speaker should have such power to manipulate government business to suit his personal views and those of his mates.
Just had a good Radio phone in that essentially neither an election or a referendum are likely to resolve anything as neither will probably give a decisive result...unless Boris gets the majority the dubious polls suggest.

Add in the moron TM who cocked everything up with her election and we could have had this sorted ages ago.

The alternative is a Labour party that sway with the wind and have a new policy every three days or, even worse, the Lib Dems.
I haven’t got a clue how the Brexit Party would do.

And when you go back to the beginning, the referendum was never a party based debate so how come it is now? Labour leave MPs being told to vote against their wishes. (And Tory and Lib Dem, for that matter).

If you want another referendum, what is the question? It can’t be this deal or remain as that is too restrictive to leavers.
What percentage vote is required? The status quo is to leave so Remainers won’t want the 60% or so they argued for the referendum.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”