EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OB1

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by OB1 »

Serious question:

Why don't some people want a second vote?

As has been said before, it's two and a half years since the original referendum and, in that time, we have been given more information (that was freely available before if people could just be bothered to look) on which to base our judgements. Also, many people who voted in 2016 have died and a similar number are now eligible to vote who weren't back then but whose lives will be affected by the outcome.

Surely, if you are steadfast in your beliefs, another referendum wouldn't daunt you. If it is "the will of the people" to leave the EU, the result should be the same and there would be nothing to fear. So why not have another vote and prove your assertion?

Put your money where your mouth is!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I think they have various motives.
As for Chuka he is a career politician plain and simple, fake concern is written all over him, he fecked up his last chance at becoming Labour leader and realises it aint gonna happen anytime soon, so he bailed out to head a new party and make no mistake, he intends to lead, his eye is on the PMs job.

Another Tony Bliar
Trev

Post by Trev »

OB1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 pm Serious question:

Why don't some people want a second vote?

As has been said before, it's two and a half years since the original referendum and, in that time, we have been given more information (that was freely available before if people could just be bothered to look) on which to base our judgements. Also, many people who voted in 2016 have died and a similar number are now eligible to vote who weren't back then but whose lives will be affected by the outcome.

Surely, if you are steadfast in your beliefs, another referendum wouldn't daunt you. If it is "the will of the people" to leave the EU, the result should be the same and there would be nothing to fear. So why not have another vote and prove your assertion?
It's a very good question and one I haven't heard a satisfactory answer too.

I met with the supply chain manager of one of our customers yesterday and Brexit planning, and how to try and avoid their business not getting the materials they need to continue to manaufacture, was top of our agenda for discussion. I won't name the company but they are a well known UK manufacturer and they are seriously concerned about how much more (it has already caused costs to rise and investment to be put off) Brexit will impact their business.

Surpisingly my contact kicked off by saying he voted to leave but didn't understand the depth of implications for the country and the business he worked for and was now very keen for a second vote to be held so that he could cast his vote the other way. He said that those friends and members of his family who had other voted leave had also changed theirs minds. Therein probably lies the reason why those who are still firm Brexiteers don't want another vote, they feel there is s very good chance that the decision will be overturned.

Conversely, I am a firm remainer, and of course haven't changed my mind, but I am not so keen on another second referendum as the unpleasantness, name calling and, in some cases, down right hatefulenss of the first will be ramped up ten fold by those with the loudest voices. However seeing that a No Deal is ever likely I would prefer even another referendum, and all that entails, to dealing with the consquences of a no deal. :x
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Can we have a third vote in a couple of years if I don't agree with the second one?

Does that answer your question ?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

HedgeHopper wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm Can we have a third vote in a couple of years if I don't agree with the second one?

No, it doesn't.

As I said, it is a serious question. You obviously don't want to give a serious answer.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

It will take 5 years to agree the question if there was a second vote.
There would be so many variations and none would end up acceptable as it would still be undemocratic to have another in/out only option. Even general elections have 5 year cycles and we don’t get interim votes in between.
People die between general elections as well. You don't see that being used to get a re-vote.

Remain smugly assumed they would win first time round so are they being as smug again?
No-one I know has changed their mind.

For what it’s worth, I would have been happy with the referendum being to investigate the idea of leaving but the EU wouldn’t have discussed anything properly until Article 50 so in/out was the only option.

While we’re slagging the Tories, other than selling us down the river by not leaving properly, do you really think Labour would have got any better result against the intransigence of the EU. Their agenda would have been the same whoever was negotiationg for us. The fault probably lies in the wording of the EU policy regarding countries wanting to leave as it clearly was inadequately prepared.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

OB1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm Can we have a third vote in a couple of years if I don't agree with the second one?

No, it doesn't.

As I said, it is a serious question. You obviously don't want to give a serious answer.
It was a serious answer, if you don't like it, I think you know what you can do with it
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Perhaps the question should be ‘Is it better to have a second referendum now or in two or three years time when what is left of the manufacturing industry in this country has been destroyed’. Why do Leave voters persist in blaming the EU, whose stance has stayed the same and the Remainers, who are only pointing out the potential damage in leaving, for this mess. The blame lies with those who campaigned to leave without a plan and who still do not have one. Show me a viable plan where this country will be better of in five years time, socially, cultural and economically and I will vote for it in a second referendum.
Cheers Jak
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As I understand it, the rules did not seem to allow forward planning so as reasoned a thought process as possible was all that was available.

From my point of view, I took no notice of the pre-referendum propoganda from either side, accurate or not.
My reason for leaving was simply a complete dislike of the creeping European state from the EU and a long held belief that I only want to trade, not be substatially interfered with by them.

Last bit edited to keep AH off my back for five minutes. ;) :D
Last edited by DavidS on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

DavidS wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm My reason for leaving was simply a complete dislike of the creeping European state from the EU and a long held belief that I only want to trade, not be run by them.
Did you miss the part when the UK triggered article 50, and announced it would enshrine EU law into British law? Doesn't that tell you that prior to that date, we were not run by them?

Have a read of this - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu ... m-36473105
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “THE PUB”