EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

garyboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 am thankyou, fried egg sarny (great name) .. i will bear in mind this valuable shit advice when i dine out at an expensive fine dining restauraunt with my many many afluent and very loyal multiple friends.
Ok.
But to do have a valid answer to the analogy?
....or are you just going to skirt the issue again?
🤔
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

dubber68 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 pm What really puzzles me at the moment is how the pro-Brexit tory MPs who insist on the need to "respect" the vote are at the same time plotting on overturning their own vote to keep the prime minister. Not quite sure but I suspect double standards are at play. It's almost like they've changed their minds and would like another vote.

I pointed this out on Mark Francois' (ERG whip) Facebook page a few weeks ago, asking him how it is okay for him to change his mind but not us. Earlier that day he'd said on Radio 4's The World at One that we couldn't have another vote because they (the politicians) had voted and decided against it!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Last edited by OB1 on Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

OB1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am
dubber68 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 pm What really puzzles me at the moment is how the pro-Brexit tory MPs who insist on the need to "respect" the vote are at the same time plotting on overturning their own vote to keep the prime minister. Not quite sure but I suspect double standards are at play. It's almost like they've changed their minds and would like another vote.

I pointed this out on Mark Francois' (ERG whip) Facebook page a few weeks ago, asking him how it is okay for him to change his mind but not us. Earlier that day he'd said on Radio 4's The World at One that we couldn't have another vote because they (the politicians) had voted and decided against it!
The idea that democracy exists is a sham. There never was an appetite to leave the EU within the general public. It was raised and driven by a limited number of mainly Tory interested parties.
A proportion of the populace decided it was a good idea to leave. A similar proportion decided it was a good idea to remain.

The referendum question was poorly constructed (due to arrogance) and the respective campaigns all lied through their teeth.

3 years on it is evident that the reality is massively different from the lies.

The 650 chinless wonders, isolated in their Parliamentary castle, have failed to find a solution.

The population should be allowed to vote again, based upon the new evidence.

The Leavers are against a second vote purely because they fear the outcome, if they were confident that the result would be repeated.

For neutrals or remainers, common sense dictates a second referendum.

Finally, anybody listening to Mark Francois knows we should be afraid, very afraid, of putting our future in the hands of people of his ilk.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am
The 650 chinless wonders, isolated in their Parliamentary castle, have failed to find a solution.

The population should be allowed to vote again.
What he said, slightly edited.
Voted
Leave campaign sat into action.
No result, failed to uphold the referendum result.
Scrap and all politicians should be thrown out and another general election
to vote in a new crowd.
scutty

Post by scutty »

Here's a thought - what if there is no palatable solution? If you consider the following problems, what is an 'acceptable' level for each one:

Financial Impact - how much GDP drop is acceptable, what happens to financial pass-porting? How can we continue to export services?

Irish Border - if we come out of the EU there has to be a border somewhere, either on the Irish mainland or in the Irish sea - one breaks the Good Friday Agreement and one fractures the Union.

UK and EU expat status - there are more UK citizens living abroad and those tend to be older and more likely to need expensive health care, EU citizens in the UK tend to be younger and of a working age, do we send them all home?

Security, Scientific and Social treaties - there are so many treaties and agreements from air traffic control, security info sharing, nuclear material movement, scientific sharing etc - what happens if they all end?

What if there is no acceptable position that any responsible person will commit to in order to deliver the 'benefits' of Brexit?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

scutty wrote:Here's a thought - what if there is no palatable solution? If you consider the following problems, what is an 'acceptable' level for each one:

Financial Impact - how much GDP drop is acceptable, what happens to financial pass-porting? How can we continue to export services?

Irish Border - if we come out of the EU there has to be a border somewhere, either on the Irish mainland or in the Irish sea - one breaks the Good Friday Agreement and one fractures the Union.

UK and EU expat status - there are more UK citizens living abroad and those tend to be older and more likely to need expensive health care, EU citizens in the UK tend to be younger and of a working age, do we send them all home?

Security, Scientific and Social treaties - there are so many treaties and agreements from air traffic control, security info sharing, nuclear material movement, scientific sharing etc - what happens if they all end?

What if there is no acceptable position that any responsible person will commit to in order to deliver the 'benefits' of Brexit?
Agree with all of that
Brexit is Madness
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

scutty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm Here's a thought - what if there is no palatable solution? If you consider the following problems, what is an 'acceptable' level for each one:

And when will there be a clear, lucid and BELIEVABLE definition of the " benefits" of Brexit?

Let's not hold our breathe!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Return to “THE PUB”