EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Bear in mind that before either the UK or Spain were in the EU, Santana was building Land Rovers in Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Motor
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Redmurty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pmI'll take a read of that thanks, and I will re check my research as I had read 110 million went to jag from the eu. But as I said did these people who are now complaining about nissen complain about jag ?

cheers Spud ;)

I will admit that I hadn't heard about the JLR move until I read your post, however, once you brought it to my attention, I saw a screaming scare story from the Daily Express (https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... s-leave-EU) which made me do a bit of digging to find the information that I provided.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Here's the background to the Nissan business

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... carmarkers
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Brexit or no Brexit After the way diesel sales & car sales in general have plummeted I think Nissan were probably after a good excuse to bail out, things are different now than 2016 the bubble has burst for car production I'm afraid. Over production is rife no need to buy new as pre reg motors are ten a penny, I was surprised years ago when I went to Bruntingthorpe airfield most manufactures have their own areas with thousands of vehicles stored there.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

OB1 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Redmurty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pmI'll take a read of that thanks, and I will re check my research as I had read 110 million went to jag from the eu. But as I said did these people who are now complaining about nissen complain about jag ?

cheers Spud ;)

I will admit that I hadn't heard about the JLR move until I read your post, however, once you brought it to my attention, I saw a screaming scare story from the Daily Express (https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... s-leave-EU) which made me do a bit of digging to find the information that I provided.
to me this is what a thread should be about, one person makes a statement another queries it and hopefully everyone learns something

there may or may not of been job loses at jag but the potential for future jobs have been lost. To which my point was did the arch remainers on here complain about it at the time ?

No job loses at Dyson, it's two people moving to Singapore to facilitate better dealing in the far east.

No job loses at Nissen, dieselgate kicked that one into touch

The daily Express is worth a giggle and that's about it

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:37 pm Here's the background to the Nissan business

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... carmarkers
yes and they were promised 60 million, but brexit was not the only factor was it, they are going to build the car in japan because it will be cheaper for them as diesel sales are dead, But of course just blame brexit as it's easy :roll:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The irony of the slump in diesel sales is that it is being caused primarily by misinformation issued by the Government. Let us not forget that all haulage trucks are diesel--and with particulate filters and adbleu deNOx are about as clean as you can ever make an internal combustion engine running on fossil fuel--and we are not going to ban trucks in a hurry. The same technology is applied to diesel cars but the public have been totally duped by our government with false and incorrect analysis of the true emissions situation , and the contribution from various sources--apparently wood burning stoves are now a major source of harmful particulates. Oh, and cows fart!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Redmurty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm

cheers Spud ;)

to me this is what a thread should be about, one person makes a statement another queries it and hopefully everyone learns something

there may or may not of been job loses at jag but the potential for future jobs have been lost. To which my point was did the arch remainers on here complain about it at the time ?

No job loses at Dyson, it's two people moving to Singapore to facilitate better dealing in the far east.

cheers Spud ;)

It's a good point about jobs moving with Dyson but the change of location of a business has massive tax implications for HMRC. All of Dyson's intellectual property property holdings (trademarks, patents, licences) will go with it.

When the JLR news dropped rather than complain I think we all just grumbled and felt sad.
Nissan say diesel engines are on the way out so we don't need to make then. The sad thing is they aren't being replaced with anything. Let's hope something new comes along for those guys up there. That plant was put their by Thatcher to serve the common market, let's hope it still can.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

This article from the BBC website makes it clear that whilst Brexit was not the only factor it was a factor.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47115753
The comments about exports to countries like Korea make interesting reading. As someone has already posted you can learn a lot from reading some of the posts on this thread. Regardless of whether you voted Remain or Leave I think a lot of people in this country now understand more about the complexities of international trade. I know I have learnt a lot in the last couple of years. The WTO rules are a bit of a nightmare and could potentially cause us a lot more problems than people think.
Cheers Jak
Richard Simpson Mark II

Brenhden wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm
Redmurty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm

cheers Spud ;)

cheers Spud ;)

It's a good point about jobs moving with Dyson but the change of location of a business has massive tax implications for HMRC. All of Dyson's intellectual property property holdings (trademarks, patents, licences) will go with it.

When the JLR news dropped rather than complain I think we all just grumbled and felt sad.
Nissan say diesel engines are on the way out so we don't need to make then. The sad thing is they aren't being replaced with anything. Let's hope something new comes along for those guys up there. That plant was put their by Thatcher to serve the common market, let's hope it still can.
To be fair...Nissan/Renault is actually leading the market with electric cars...and the electric Nissan is made in Sunderland.

On my recommendation, my sis got a very tidy used Renault Zoe for under £3k....the battery costs £59 a month. Car still covered by Renault warranty.

It's ideal for her 20 mile each way daily commute, which takes in a mix of undulating rural roads and a little bit of city. The promised range of about 100 miles falls to 75 - 80 in Winter, but it's a nice drive and she's pleased with it.

Would be no good for me though. Don't use my car much, but when I do it's too many miles for a battery.

Return to “THE PUB”