EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
rlkat

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by rlkat »

Just watching the telly waiting for Cameron, and they keep showing poll results. Are these the same pollsters who failed at the last election?
I've no idea how to add a signature.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I am fascinated by the misinformation.

Why did Volvo buy the old DAF car company in Holland? Because it needed a manufacturing base INSIDE the EU. Why? Because imports from OUTSIDE EU are subject to duty. A great many companies are located in Britain because they need to be inside EU and not necessarily because they prefer Britain. English speaking suits many of them.

Fast forward Britain makes more cars now than it ever did in the days of the British car industry. They now have badges like Honda Toyota Nissan etc. These are exported to Europe in many cases, but they will suffer a duty and at one stroke become uncompetitive. They also will still have to be EU compliant to be able to be sold inside the EU.

The same applies to a great many other industries output as Britain is a net exporter. I can think of a great many products seen around Europe....Pilkington glass, Triumph motorcycles, Weetabix, the list is endless.

Tourism might gain somewhat but remember for those in EU travelling to zones outside EU is more paperwork. But it would bring back Duty Free.....

So, Britain will still be funding the EU as its put but in much greater amounts. Its just no one in Britain will see it. Long term however those industries are likely to migrate into EU zones impacting severely on the value of the £. Manufacturing from inside the EU is much more competitive, a high cost base outside the EU would be uncompetitive.

This point has been completely lost in the debate and its one that will eventually bite.

I don't have a vested interest in the argument as I don't live there.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:I am fascinated by the misinformation.

Why did Volvo buy the old DAF car company in Holland? Because it needed a manufacturing base INSIDE the EU. Why? Because imports from OUTSIDE EU are subject to duty. A great many companies are located in Britain because they need to be inside EU and not necessarily because they prefer Britain. English speaking suits many of them.

Fast forward Britain makes more cars now than it ever did in the days of the British car industry. They now have badges like Honda Toyota Nissan etc. These are exported to Europe in many cases, but they will suffer a duty and at one stroke become uncompetitive. They also will still have to be EU compliant to be able to be sold inside the EU.

The same applies to a great many other industries output as Britain is a net exporter. I can think of a great many products seen around Europe....Pilkington glass, Triumph motorcycles, Weetabix, the list is endless.

Tourism might gain somewhat but remember for those in EU travelling to zones outside EU is more paperwork. But it would bring back Duty Free.....

So, Britain will still be funding the EU as its put but in much greater amounts. Its just no one in Britain will see it. Long term however those industries are likely to migrate into EU zones impacting severely on the value of the £. Manufacturing from inside the EU is much more competitive, a high cost base outside the EU would be uncompetitive.

This point has been completely lost in the debate and its one that will eventually bite.

All these can be negotiated by an independent country with trade agreements. We're a big market.
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I'm not so sure that's right...our trade with the EU is declining and there have been several months when we have been a net importer. We are doing more business with the rest of the World.

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
dmac

Post by dmac »

See this is what we need to be thinking about. In reality, and I dont know the finer details to argue one way or the other, but there has got to be a massive fall out if UK ends up out? Wont a lot of businesses up sticks and move elsewhere? Time for me to do some real reading, and I dont mean newspapers, thats the last place I would go!
Currently an F650GS, DR350 and RV125 in the family stable.
92kk k100lt 193214

Its a good debate but take the car one as an example. The world market has grown so large as an example if the car manufacturers end up reducing volume it will lead to Britain possibly become a net importer of cars rather than a net exporter as is presently the case. The remaining output would become too small to be competitive, its a volume game.

Scottrider has a good graph up but the drop in export to EU countries is shown as a percentage. I wonder if it was shown as £ or € values would we be looking at less of a drop to EU countries and an even higher value increase to non EU countries? If that were the situation it would be actually masking a much more healthy economy.

Another concealed statistic I am aware of is that some major non EU construction companies are in fact located inside EU but do not operate within the EU. Business with these companies is classed as non EU and Britain is a huge provider of services and materials to this booming market.
92kk k100lt 193214

Its not that I have a side in it but that I have seen how statistics can be selectively used to support an argument rather than show the correct position.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

OUT!

WE SHOULD BE EITHER FULLY IN OR FULLY OUT, instead we have a mish mash of things going on. We import more from the EU than we export to them, they are looking for tighter and tighter integration and eventually a united Europe a US of E. If they are happy in that then great, but why should I be subject to people in Euro who have not been elected making and passing rules and regulations that I have to abide by, do we not already have enough Governments in this country telling us what to do ?

The EU needs us and would be very weakened by us leaving and would miss our money in a massive way, been to Spain lately and seen all the nice new roads seen any nice new roads in the UK ?

Have they sorted Greece out yet ?

VW dirty cars been sorted ?

Most people in this country voted for a "common market" not a federated Europe.

I think we are the 3rd largest contributor to the EU coffers

Just get out but the public will do the safe thing and vote in

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Don't be sucked into the scare stories of this Country not being able to go it alone... The EU NEEDS us in because we are one of the biggest contributors to the EU coffers. If we get out that means all the other Countries left behind will have to find a lot more money, and they don't want that... The relationship is so one sided it's unreal...

Look at when the British Military replaced all of it's wheeled vehicle fleet, mostly for MAN's... A German made vehicle. They said they had to go by EU rules and not offer favouritism to our national producers (Bedford, Foden, Scammel etc)... So they went for foreign vehicles at the cost of our domestic producers. Now. Look at the German Military. What vehicles do they use? MAN. German. The French use mostly Renault, a French vehicle and the Dutch, well DAF of course...

I didn't get the chance to vote in 1975 as I was too young. However the UK voted for a Economic arrangement. Now we have the EU telling us we can't buy sweets or anything else in Lbs... The "official" unit of measurement for distance in this Country is Miles, Yards and Feet and yet look at all the programmes on the TV including the News, that use Kilometres as a measurement. A slow back door replacement to our imperial system, which not too far in the future will be replaced. You can't even buy a certain shaped banana as the EU says we can't...

Our industry has been destroyed. Steel, Mining, Ship Building, Fishing, Farming, Heavy Industry...

You walk down the street, any street or shop in the UK and you feel like a stranger in your own Country. It's one thing having immigration to help with a shortfall in labour, but everywhere I go you're outnumbered by immigrants, and I mean everywhere... The amount that have come here is in the millions. I don't believe a word of the "official" governments figures... Judging by how many are round here I'd put a conservative figure on it of at least 20-30% are foreigners. This has all happened mainly since the 90's... If there is no halt to it immediately, then fast forward 50 years and the English as a race will be wiped out...

Enough is enough... I'm voting OUT OUT OUT... I just hope there is enough indigenous people of these islands left to get an OUT vote.

Remember, don't listen to the Politicians!!! They are ruled by their own self greed and run by their chums who run big business. After all, cheap foreign labour keeps costs down and profits up... Money is king, who cares that a Nation state of people will be wiped out, as long as the money keeps rolling in...
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
92kk k100lt 193214

Two questions then.....

1: How much does Britain contribute to EU coffers now?

2: How much will Britain contribute to EU coffers by way of the duties imposed on the good sold into the EU?

I believe the answer lies in those two questions.

The other questions are all legitimate, national identity and national decision making are very important issues not to be dismissed.

Return to “THE PUB”