EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tramp

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Tramp »

He's bluffing and the euro leader has covid so 2 weeks to strike a deal on paper.... Go Boris.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Tramp wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm He's bluffing and the euro leader has covid so 2 weeks to strike a deal on paper.... Go Boris.
Yes, Boris, take the advice, Go; Fek off back under an Eton Mess, or into a pigs mouth..... etc.....etc.....
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

One now begins to understand the Hundred Years War :(
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Tramp wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm the euro leader has covid
Eh?, which one?
Its a trick............get an Axe
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Although unsurprising, this is very revealing:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-decision

Johnson's dog's brexit is dependent on the result of a foreign election. So much for 'independence' and 'taking back control' :lol: :lol:

If Trump wins, look forward to a one-sided desperate fire-sale 'deal' in which the NHS and other UK public services are exposed to U.S. corporate capital vultures. If Biden wins, look forward to a piss poor hollowed out trade deal with the EU and third country status of no more benefit to the UK than the arrangement had with Bangladesh or Burundi.

Didn't Johnson promise autonomy and sunlit uplands post brexit? Instead he's left the UK completely vulnerable to decisions made elsewhere, out of its control. It's a kind of treason really.

If you voted for brexit, exactly how betrayed do you feel right now? You've been taken for a fool, used as a pawn in a game you were never intended to benefit from, and those of us who voted remain have been dragged down with you. It's bloody tragic.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst it is an interesting article it does seem to credit Bojo with more intelligence and foresight than he has shown so far. The majority of those who are still pushing for a hard Brexit do not seem at all bothered by the damage this will inflict on the country so long as they get their fabled ‘sovereignty’ back.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I don't think so. I think BoJo is just bungling through this with messy haired bravado, with no regard for consequences.
On the one hand the UK will have the NHS picked apart and you'll be able to buy chlorinated chicken and all manner of meat with
hormones and other delicate additives.
On the other hand the UK may be left out of negotiations completely, whilst the US does deals with the EU.
Glad I live in Norway and have applied for citizenship here :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

qcnr wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 am
Glad I live in Norway and have applied for citizenship here :D
Very best of luck with that. Lots of us living abroad are scrambling for citizenship or residency-rights lifeboats, as the rug is pulled from beneath us. Here in France there are lots of hoops to jump through, but at least those of us who have been here a fair few years will get the new residency cards. Thanks to brexit however we still loose valuable freedom of movement / work rights. Utterly ridiculous. Totally unnecessary. Stupidly vindictive. Completely regressive. No wonder so many UK passport holders living abroad have started to despise their country of birth.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Dave RE: your betrayal comment....

Your detachment from the reality of life in Britain beyond what you read is understandable, but here In Wales there are very many who voted for Brexit, but not for Boris..Indeed many who voted for Brexit who wouldnt vote conservative in a million years, but at the time we had a conservative government anyway, the 2 things though intertwined by circumstance where distinct

Conflating the 2 is a shallow appraisal probably influenced by the huge coverage of what happened in some North of England constituancies which like London do not represent the whole of the UK
Its a trick............get an Axe
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Reference the comment about those who voted for Brexit feeling betrayed, I think that some but by know means all, now do feel that if they were not betrayed, they were at least misled. That is partly the fault of the Remain campaign which focused on the negative aspects of leaving rather than the positives of remaining. However people are starting to realise that many jobs have gone and are at risk, their food standards are under threat, many of the regulations that make their lives safer and guarantee their employment rights come from the EU, there is not a queue of countries waiting to do favourable trade deals with us, the NHS is not going to be vastly better off and we are still going to be reliant on foreign ‘essential workers for many years to come. So apart from saving the offshore tax accounts of the very rich, all we have ‘gained’ is the claim that we have got our sovereignty back. However that sovereignty means that we are going to be subservient to the whims of more powerful nations and in some ways the EU. There will be those who still think it is a price worth paying and who will blame the EU for this country ‘s failures.
The one group that certainly should feel betrayed is those who for years paid their taxes then chose to spend their retire living in the EU but were unable to vote on their futures. When I was over in the summer, some of those ex pats I spoke to have spent four years living with uncertainty and even those who have got citizenship of the countries they are now living in could face the prospect of having their pensions taxed as they could be classed as income from outside the EU. Just think of the impact if they all come home on housing, the care system and the NHS. Still I am sure Bojo has a plan

Return to “THE PUB”