EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by -Ralph- »

I'm not extreme left or liberal, but when I don't agree with the right wing people assume I am. When people start talking moderate we find common ground.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Redmurty wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
Redmurty wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
Philiptigerrice wrote:Well- I think that's this thread concluded.

Thanks everyone for coming.

I win. :whistle:
No you come second, Redmurty started talking sense months ago ;-)
why thank you Sir...... may all your children be RED heads (thumbs)

a well consider piece Phil (thumbs)

Cheers Spud ;)
I'm proud of being a red head, but if you saw my sunburn right now you wouldn't wish it on my kids, I look somewhere between a salmon and beetroot! :laugh:
exactly the same mate a true Ginga Ninja , was told to take shorts to Moroc no chance :blush:

cheers Spud ;)
One day in Fuerteventura with factor 30 suncream. I thought since it was only April I wouldn't need factor 50 kids sunblock.....wrong!!!

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I would agree with much of what you say Phil but one of the complications is that businesses are use to having free trade within the Eurozone and have adapted their working practices accordingly. During discussion around the car trade recently it was pointed out that some components cross the channel 14 times during the manufacturing process. Obviously this is not every component but if if half the components cross half that number of times the cost of the tariffs would be astronomical. Hence the car trade are all saying that they need free trade and will look at relocating if they do not get it.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to realise how embedded the EU is in our daily life and for most people in a positive way, or how much the global economy has changed since the 1970s.
Whilst most businesses would appear to want a 'soft Brexit' along the lines of the Swiss or Norwegian model, this will not be acceptable to many Leave voters as it involves that free movement of people. I guess it all comes down to how much of our quality of life economically we are prepared to sacrifice for the leave voters perception of 'our way of life'.
Cheers Jak
cocker

Post by cocker »

Out
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Jak* wrote:I would agree with much of what you say Phil but one of the complications is that businesses are use to having free trade within the Eurozone and have adapted their working practices accordingly. During discussion around the car trade recently it was pointed out that some components cross the channel 14 times during the manufacturing process. Obviously this is not every component but if if half the components cross half that number of times the cost of the tariffs would be astronomical. Hence the car trade are all saying that they need free trade and will look at relocating if they do not get it.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to realise how embedded the EU is in our daily life and for most people in a positive way, or how much the global economy has changed since the 1970s.
Whilst most businesses would appear to want a 'soft Brexit' along the lines of the Swiss or Norwegian model, this will not be acceptable to many Leave voters as it involves that free movement of people. I guess it all comes down to how much of our quality of life economically we are prepared to sacrifice for the leave voters perception of 'our way of life'.
Cheers Jak
There is always a way. It's just having the will.
Cut the negativity, puts heads together and, you never know, something better may come out of it.
Just because that's how it's done now, it doesn't mean it's the best way or even the best compromise.
Shifting components backwards and forwards hardly makes business sense.
Adapt and survive.

Any more cliches?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
dave448

Post by dave448 »

Any more cliches?

ohhh you're 'avin a larf ...
another french word, they can have that back as well
:lol:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

DavidS wrote: There is always a way. It's just having the will.
Shifting components backwards and forwards hardly makes business sense.
Adapt and survive.

Any more cliches?
At lot of the way industry has structured itself, and where certain businesses are located has all been achieved through EU funding. When that funding isn't available, how are these businesses supposed to relocate and restructure? And if they do, wouldn't it make sense for them to all move to mainland Europe where its easier for everyone to work together?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

That's part of the problem though, surely.

Purely by spreading all this stuff out politically rather than logically, it is still ends up being spread all over Europe rather than centralised. That's why so much of F1 is based around the London - Birmingham gap, it's sensible to be together.

Given the chance it might happen, I would rather OUR money went to businesses in the UK not somewhere in the back end of Europe. I accept we also get funding back but, again we are is that situation where every euro is maybe only worth 80 cents (or less? I don't know) after it has been through the hands of the various EU parliaments, departments, agents, fixers etc etc.

We are also net contributors so don't even get back what we put in anyway.

IF you put the current situation out clearly as the reason to join the EU, who the hell would vote yes?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
scutty

Post by scutty »

Anyone remember, during and post referendum, all the Leave supporters banging on about how the dutch were about to vote Leave with Gert Wilders and then the French were all going to vote Leave with Le Pen?
It doesn't really give me a warm feeling for all the other glowing predictions made about life after the EU. :(
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

scutty wrote:It doesn't really give me a warm feeling for all the other glowing predictions made about life after the EU. :(
I wouldn't worry too much. Most of what was said last June has been found to be lies and bullshit from both sides. You play the hand you've got. The general election is the latest litmus test of public opinion. Let's see how that goes. The local elections last week aren't a great indicator IMHO as it gets confused by housing developments, bypasses and park closures.

The French were never going to vote in Le Pen. There just isn't the ground swell against the establishment to change IMHO. They moan and whinge and wring their hands but always go back to their liberal ways.

Personally I am wondering whether the words of Junckers and Tusk have a greater effect than I give them credit for. After he said English was no longer relevant and the EU said the bill will be 100bn euro that got the tongues wagging among my friends and colleagues and got backs up and a "we'll show them bastards" attitude. The 100bn euros btw is seen as preserving the EU junket train rather than paying any meaningful contribution.

Hey ho around and round we go!
(thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”