EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
DavidS

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by DavidS »

Thanks Dave. Suitably complicated but it does seem like it works, once you get it set up.
There should have been clarity about expat arrangements very early on but I guess it was deemed peripheral.
The office secretary from my employed days moved to Spain many years ago when she was about 50 (or maybe younger) as her one lung and other health issues meant she needed permanent warmth. I’m not sure how she works it but I think she severed all UK ties as her daughter is in Bermuda and her son in Australia.

I appreciate we are on opposite sides of the Brexit vote but it doesn’t mean I don’t have sympathy for your predicament.
We have been told that things won’t change with expats in either direction but I wouldn’t trust the UK or EU as far as I could throw them now. They need their collective heads banging together and told to find the right and fair compromise.

I would still rather leave but if this is likely to go on beyond October, I would rather stay than have this ridiculous impasse.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

garyboy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:33 pm

I am appalled by how many senior british figures are coming out, lately, in favour of a second vote.
hessletine, Corbyn, starmar, cable, .. ..
You won't be surprised to learn I am heartened by the number of senior figures having the intelligence and bravery to back a second vote! :P

We have a chance to avoid mob rule yet....
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This is hilarious....just look at his puzzled little face as the facts are explained to him.

The stunned silence is epic... :D :D

HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I would still rather leave but if this is likely to go on beyond October, I would rather stay than have this ridiculous impasse.

All part of the plan...but don't let the bastards grind you down.

You won't be surprised to learn I am heartened by the number of senior figures having the intelligence and bravery to back a second vote! :P

This makes little sense, mob rule is a far more fitting description of all the loud shouty demands coming from remainers who wont accept that a legal peoples vote should be acted on, not at all fitting for the side that won fair and square a referendum is not mob rule...get it? (no thought not)

But fear not o double-speakers, I have always believed you will end up getting your way, it seems to be how things work these days, the loudest shoutiest liars get their way, Trump has shown the world this works, facts are after all flexible ;)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

HedgeHopper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:12 pm But fear not o double-speakers, I have always believed you will end up getting your way, it seems to be how things work these days, the loudest shoutiest liars get their way, Trump has shown the world this works, facts are after all flexible ;)

Oh, the irony...

A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

OB1 wrote: Oh, the irony...
Beat you to it post#7388

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OB1

Post by OB1 »

Africa John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm
OB1 wrote: Oh, the irony...
Beat you to it post#7388

ImageImage

Yeah, I saw that, however, I was pointing out the irony of HedgeHopper's words that I quoted. :lol: ;)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

HedgeHopper wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:12 pm

This makes little sense, mob rule is a far more fitting description of all the loud shouty demands coming from remainers who wont accept that a legal peoples vote should be acted on, not at all fitting for the side that won fair and square a referendum is not mob rule...get it? (no thought not)
Yes, I most definitely get it. However democracy does not mean being bound to one voting opportunity - you get a vote every so often to redefine your councils and government , for example. The EU membership is so far reaching in so many ways - economy, societal issues - to act when the opinion of the population is undefined, would be madness. What is to be scared of?

Re the mob rule, my tongue in cheek remark was referencing Farage and his supporters, who are a shouty gang who generate noise and media coverage far exceeding their support, value or potential future contribution.

Anyway, the one thing this thread proves is that none of us is going to have our views changed by posts from the opposite team.
I may have to go and ride my bike instead.... 8-)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:02 pm
That's interesting. Think that's the first time I've heard a brexiter say that.

Oh, and genuine thanks David for showing some understanding about our predicament - it's appreciated and rare. As you can tell from other comments on here, sympathy (or even plain indifference!) is usually in short supply from the pro-brexit side, so that comment means something.

Related to this, we recently went to a public briefing / question & answer session held by the British Embassy, for the benefit of brits living in France. They are doing loads of these meetings all over the country right now. The Limoges one was full (about 150 of us). The mood was pretty hostile at first. Residents understandably angry with the UK government. There were reps from the French prefecture there, who demonstrably cared more about our interests and our future than the UK government does. Some people are under the impression that the Withdrawal Agreement protects our interests, but even a quick read through shows how many items of importance to us are omitted and that we will be subject to the whims of the next tory PM, who may well be pandering to the current strain of rabid english nationalism. The very least the UK government should do is fully protect all the rights those of us who are already abroad have now, and do the same for EU27 citizens living in the UK. But even this is not guaranteed. We have been used as pawns in the 'negotiation' from the start - which did not endear May and her team to the EU27 back in 2018.

I think remainers would view brexiters quite differently if they didn't come across so very vindictive and hateful towards those who simply exercised their long-held rights to move between countries. Of course moving abroad is not for everyone, but resentment and bile towards those who chose to is just horrible and completely unnecessary. Just try to forget mindless allegiance to nation states and think of your fellow humans as just that - fellows. We are all just doing our best to get through life as best we can, and as Jo Cox said before she was murdered by a far-right extremist, we really do have much more in common than what sets us apart.
Last edited by daveuprite on Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

OB1 wrote: Yeah, I saw that, however, I was pointing out the irony of HedgeHopper's words that I quoted. Image ;)
Aahh

My hat is doffed to you sir

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”