EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Crossrutted

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Crossrutted »

scutty wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 pm Personally I just don't see a way forward that heals the divide this issue has created in the UK.

If we don't leave then those on the Leave side will, forever, decry UK as a failed democracy and continue to demand the result they won.

If we leave, with or without a deal, and it damages the economy and people lives (as the government has now predicted) then I can't ever see those on the remain side forgiving those that lead Leave and those that voted Leave for the damage. This is not like a General Election, we can't change our minds in 5 years, the damage will be done.

I don't dare bring up Brexit in conversation anymore because of the anger it generates in people from both sides.

So, my worry now is the thought of forever living in a torn and divided country that won't heal in my life time.
Completely agree with all of the above.

A small, extreme group within the Conservative Party have irreversibly damaged the country for their own gain.
MR X

Post by MR X »

I have read a lot of this as it gone along
Can not believe how messed up Th UK has become .
I am so Glad I got on the boat and left for good 15 years ago .
I was born and brought up in England But will be changing my Passport for an Irish one
And wish you all good LUCK your sinking or sunk
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Agree with you entirely mark ,what a mess. Anyways what you doing on the forum day time, get back to work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

MR X wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 am I have read a lot of this as it gone along
I was born and brought up in England But will be changing my Passport for an Irish one
A guy I know runs a coach company in Somerset. He had good contracts with two Teaching English as a Foreign Language schools.

After the Brexit vote, they both relocated to Dublin as it was clear that the UK was no longer the right place for them to be as the vote was based on ignorance and xenophobia, and there would be hassles with visas etc.

A shame for UK plc as they were what used to be called an 'invisible export'...bringing in foreign currency that was used to pay British staff and contractors. And, even worse, fewer educated foreigners will have visited this country in their formative years and have a positive view of it.

Expect far more of the same once we actually leave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Follow the money...

Probably the most prominent pro-Brexit industrialists is Jim Ratcliffe...boss of Ineos.

He is currently running down his facilities in the UK, while investing heavily in the EU. Ironic, huh?

https://www.ineos.com/news/ineos-group/ ... nvestment/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-49920620

He's is going to launch a Land Rover clone vehicle, engineered in Germany, fitted with a German powertrain and built in Portugal, but with a Union Jack sticker applied in South Wales.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/car ... end-634157
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Cross rutted and Scutty are absolutely right about the long lasting damage this is causing our country. It gets more absurd everyday, with politicians and newspapers, willingly leading us into a situation which is likely to bring long term economic damage and threatened the stability of the UK. To do this in the name of democracy and the people is farcical, surely we elect and pay our politicians to do better than this?
Cheers Jak
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

MR X wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 am I have read a lot of this as it gone along
Good luck with the passport, Mark. Record numbers have done the swap since the brexit crisis began. I've asked my mum if she is absolutely certain that my grandad was not a republican gun runner or something useful like that, but sadly no - I am stuck with being british and there's no getting away from it.

So we've got our 10 year french residency cards and the next step will have to be full french citizenship if the UK does a total lemming, which now looks more likely. There's never been less reason to be patriotic about the UK, so it's no loss at all, even though it could take 2 or 3 years of ball-ache applications, interviews etc. to get there. Thank you Cameron/May/Johnson etc - you tossers. A guy in a bar asked me recently where in the UK I came from and I said Scottish because it's just too embarrassing to admit to being English these days; I've got sick of trying to explain the complexities of brexit to my French friends and neighbours. The whole thing is just shameful and embarrassing.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Then all this - this bullshit that you think is so important, you can just kiss all that goodbye! :lol:
Trev

Post by Trev »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:50 pm Follow the money...

Probably the most prominent pro-Brexit industrialists is Jim Ratcliffe...boss of Ineos.

He is currently running down his facilities in the UK, while investing heavily in the EU. Ironic, huh?

https://www.ineos.com/news/ineos-group/ ... nvestment/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-49920620

He's is going to launch a Land Rover clone vehicle, engineered in Germany, fitted with a German powertrain and built in Portugal, but with a Union Jack sticker applied in South Wales.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/car ... end-634157
Even the most ardent pro-Brexit people have moved on from the economic argument (if there ever really was one) and we just have to accept the UK will not be as affluent a place to live as it was. However it is still a rich country and for those of us with a reasonable income/wealth it won't really impact and for some (note some senior Tory Brexiteers) it will actually be very positive. As always it will be those on the lowest incomes or least able to change their situation that will feel the biggest impact but then many voted for it so they are probably okay with being worse off in return for the perceived benefits, whatever they turn out to be.

I will miss being a European citizen with all the freedoms and benefits that brings but I'm well enough off to compensate for the small extra hassle and cost of travel and holidays to the EU and I won't need to travel on business much longer. My two youngest kids are hacked off at the opportunities that are being removed from them but I'm sure they'll get over it. They both have degrees, are well traveled and aren't afraid to work so are looking outside of the UK for now but may change their minds in years to come when things have settled down, I hope so.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

It does seem like mission accomplished for projekt fear if this place is any indicator (I'm not entirely sure it is though).

One question for any legal-heads in here: If no deal is reached and Boris has legaly to ask for an extension, then whats to stop him going to brussels and basicaly saying something like

'I want an extension on article 50 for lets say a couple of months to get xmas over with, I don't really care if you grant it and dont expect things will be any different when this latest extension has ended but those barstards in parliament have forced me to ask you, so waddya say'

well waddya say?
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “THE PUB”