EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Trev

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 pm

dubber68 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm
As a small business owner I echo Bowbers comments. If you review our business accounts there is a distinct drop off in both turnover and profit immediately after the Brexit referendum. This was due to increased costs of stock from our suppliers and a fall in spending from our customers. This has impacted us to the point that we will be closing our doors later this year with the loss of 3 jobs. Much as I would like it all to go away it is now too late for us as the damage is already done. Personally we will be fine but that doesn't help the people losing their jobs and rest assured we did everything we could to protect them and have sunk personal cash into the business to try to weather the storm.
That is such a pity to hear, sorry it's come to that but it does come a point when you have to decide whether it makes any sense to continue, as a small business it's sometimes just not possible to ride out some large economic storms.

I've posted on here a few times stating that we have also seen a negative impact, fortunately we have a an extremely profitable business servicing a range of well known national and international brands but it has still impacted growth and profits to the extent that not only have we not taken on the 2 or 3 new staff we had planned but we have not replaced the two people that have retired over the last 18 months. Not exactly a massive knock on impact to local people but none the less another small chip off the local economy.

Personally, as someone who voted to remain I would prefer to see us leave on Mrs Mays deal or something close to it rather than drag things out for god knows how long. It's the damage from the the large businesses making long term plans to locate or focus elsewhere that is really going to hit our economy and the longer that uncertainty continues the more will join those that have already made plans to locate all or some of their business out of the UK.

It would also more likely silence the already down right unpleasant vitriol coming from those with the loudest voices and threats of violence and civil unrest. I know we shouldn't bow down to those threatening that sort of thing but this country has seen enough hate language and threats from the first referendum when we really showed the world the negative side of being British and I'm not keen to see that repeated at an even worse level. Already the term 'traitor' is being bandied about by some MP's, really? :(

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
OB1

Post by OB1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm sure that I've written this on here at some point but things have progressed as Brexit stumbles along.

I work for an IT company that supplies computers, services and infrastructure to schools, colleges and universities as well as small and large businesses in sectors from banking to the health service. We aren't a big company (less than 100 employees) but we cover the whole of the UK so, there is a high likelihood that you will, at some point, have been in the same room as a piece of equipment supplied by us.

Anyway... most of the people that I work with, like me, voted to remain and coming into work the day after the referendum was like going to a wake: everyone was stunned.

Regardless of the fact that it hasn't been implemented yet, the effects of the referendum result were immediate. Within the first week, most of our Asian suppliers had added 10% to their prices and, within the month, Apple had joined them by adding 20% to theirs. This may, as some leave voters claim, be a ploy to get more out of the British consumer, but it cannot be denied that the uncertainty created caused a change in the view of other countries and companies towards the United Kingdom.

We were hoping that things may calm down, however, over the following years, orders were reduced and, this time last year, our turnover had dropped by 25%. By October we had the first wave of redundancies: most were what you'd expect with a last in, first out system, then came a big blow when an employee of 25 years was made redundant: this was hitting us hard.

Like many companies, we have a profit sharing bonus every so often when sales are good: in the last two years, we've had one bonus of around £50. To top that off, we didn't get a pay rise this year for the first time ever. Adding insult to injury, our pension contributions have been increased (a government thing) so we are actually getting less in out wages than we had last year.

Can it get much worse? Probably.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

OB1

Post by OB1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Trev wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 pm
It would also more likely silence the already downright unpleasant vitriol coming from those with the loudest voices and threats of violence and civil unrest. I know we shouldn't bow down to those threatening that sort of thing but this country has seen enough hate language and threats from the first referendum when we really showed the world the negative side of being British and I'm not keen to see that repeated at an even worse level. Already the term 'traitor' is being bandied about by some MP's, really? :(

It was that very vocal minority that originally scared Cameron into promising the referendum in the first place. Most people would have quite happily gone on with the status quo without a second thought.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

dubber68

Post by dubber68 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:30 pm

What worries me the most is that a large number of small business owners we talk to share much the same story as ours. I fear we are the first of many in our local area rather than an isolated case. I have never hoped to be wrong as much as I currently do over this situation but I fear the worst. The point of no return is close if not gone already for many who are hanging on through a sense of not wanting to lose everything they have built up.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:40 pm

It's a shame that so many of the trade associations squealing so hard now (FTA, RHA NFU etc) were neutral on the matter when it counted. They didn't want to upset some of their 'empty vessels' who were shouting off about how we needed to 'get rid of Brussels' etc without realising that their businesses were supported by massive financial and logistical webs that were anchored in the EU.

It's a matter of fact that all that 'EU red tape' that was 'holding us back' was converted into UK law by Parliament after the referendum, with not a peep of protest from any Brexiteer.

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:02 pm

From what I recall, the ‘politicians promise’ was that was the only way do it quickly enough and that each element would be assessed and kept or removed as appropriate after we had left.

Ok, there wasn’t much trust then but it was a reasonable argument.
What we know now is the politicians have lost pretty much all trust so who knows.....

Don’t forget all this stuff was pretty much rubber stamped by all main parties at the time, before they became too keen on self interest, not on the future of the country.
2019 Triumph T120 Black
LOOKING FOR A USED 2019/20 KTM 690 ENDURO R

HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 pm

I think the technical term is 'shafted' david.
Not that's it any surprise after all the government has been aided by the lies and propoganda of a very vocal minority who couldnt take not getting their own way

Not all remainers behaved disgracefully of course, but to those that did and aided the overturning of the most democratic event in our lifetimes, I say...fuck you, fuck you all

AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 pm

I've yet to hear of a reason to leave that can't be debunked. So that means people still want to leave......well just because they want to. Fine, you want to be part of the revolution, but at least make the revolution one that benefits the country and it's people, not just some hair-brained idea that has little credibility.
Spanish Motorbike Tours
https://www.spanishmotorbiketours.co.uk/

UK, Ireland and European van courier
https://www.eurovancourier.co.uk/

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I can’t find a yawning emoji.

When you bu****ed off and walked out of this country, did you have any idea of what would happen in your future?
Nor does anyone who sets up their own business by leaving the soft and squidgy comfort of the firm they worked for.
I set up my own architectural practice in 1986 on a verbal promise from a client that could easily been withdrawn at any time but, in the end, it all worked out well and I never had a day without work until I retired nearly two years ago. But I had left a perfectly good and interesting job to take a punt on independence. As it happened, they virtually folded about 4 years later. An analogy for where the EU is heading perhaps?

Some things just have to be done. I have said repeatedly that there is a big world out there so why not be a bigger part of it?

I also resent being lectured by permanent ex-pats.
2019 Triumph T120 Black
LOOKING FOR A USED 2019/20 KTM 690 ENDURO R

OB1

Post by OB1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 pm

DavidS wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:32 pm
I also resent being lectured by permanent ex-pats.

I'm not an ex-pat... unless you count moving from Lincolnshire to Suffolk?

Would the company be that I work for in the position it is now if the vote had been for remain or there had been no vote at all? No, it wouldn't: it was expanding and taking on new staff regularly.

The situation that we are in is the fault of those who campaigned to leave and those who voted to leave.
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”