EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Crossrutted

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Crossrutted »

DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm On what authority do have the information that a majority of those unable to vote would want to have remained?
The blind assumption that the voting majority were flawed is, as ever, insulting. The media will tell you any old cr*p to get their drivel read.

My intelligent 40 year old nephew, who has kids of 2 and 6, still strongly supported leave so he thought of their futures as much as the rest of us. The hard Remainers need to come off their high horse and accept that they are not the only people entitled to an opinion. I don’t think either of the kids have decided which way they would vote yet. They are more interested in toy cars and gymnastics.

Maybe a high percentage of those who voted remain realised they got it wrong? :lol:

I hope I’ve still got 30+ years on this earth so wouldn’t have jeopardised my retirement funds on a whim.
It is interesting you acknowledge the impending risk to your finances.

Also, it is interesting that generally only leavers are against another referendum. Why?

Is it because they fear the outcome, I wonder?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm On what authority do have the information that a majority of those unable to vote would want to have remained?
The blind assumption that the voting majority were flawed is, as ever, insulting. The media will tell you any old cr*p to get their drivel read.

Re-read what I said: nowhere have I said that those who didn't vote would have voted to remain. What I did say was that, regardless of their position, they are having their future dictated by the will of a vocal minority of 17.4 million people.

I don't think I'm above or better than anyone and it concerns me that many of those who voted to leave seem to think that they are lesser.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

OB1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Re-read what I said: nowhere have I said that those who didn't vote would have voted to remain. What I did say was that, regardless of their position, they are having their future dictated by the will of a vocal minority of 17.4 million people.

I don't think I'm above or better than anyone and it concerns me that many of those who voted to leave seem to think that they are lesser.
But those that were able to vote, and didn't, had their oppertunity to have a say. If they didn't then they must accept the consequences whether
they like them or not. And there is a good reason you need to be 18 to vote. Not sure many 7 year olds would quite understand. Probably most
18 year olds had no idea of the consequences of the vote they cast.
But one thisng is sure and that is the current situation is a complete and utter shambles... :lol: and nobody voted for that :lol: :lol:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I was referring to more than just those posts.
If you quote 66 million, you have to include everyone, not 18+ age group. You can’t have it each way.

Of course I was concerned about finances, but that doesn’t stop me thinking it is right to leave.

Best of 2, 3, 4? How many would you want?
What parameters for a majority? Where would you finally accept a vote? If ever?
I didn’t set the rules. If the Remain organisers were so clever, they should have lobbied at the time to have the voting criteria changed.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Brenhden wrote:
DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am
Crossrutted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am
OB1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am
garyboy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 am We got a parliament that won't listen to the majority of the people.

Which majority is that? 17.4 million is not a majority of 66 million... The majority didn't vote to leave. :twisted:
oops - that's an inconvenient truth that the leavers don't want discussed....

Democracy my ass! :roll:
So that means the result of pretty much every general election is invalid. :roll:
There are NOT 66 million voters in the country so stop this stupid use of figures to justify an mis-described quote.
Very true, however GEs give a parliament for four years so if we could apply the same logic we are due another brexit vote on 23/06/20 if this shamble is still lurching on. The voting public will be quite a different group of people by then.
The wording on the ballot was quite clear

Do you want to leave the EU?

And Cameron (the spineless shit) was quite clear. It was a once in a lifetime choice. And if you vote leave then we will leave.

You shouldn't revisit it every four years like Parliament because the question was so big and the choice was clear.

Whether you think the voters decision was I'll informed or misguided doesn't matter

The binary choice couldn't have been any clearer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OB1

Post by OB1 »

People seem to be missing the point: it doesn't matter if you voted to stay or to leave; it doesn't matter if you were too lazy to vote; it doesn't matter weren't eligible to vote due to age or because you're not a British national. The decision has been made for you and you have to go with the government's interpretation of the opinion of 17.4 million people.

I agree that it's not fair to "keep voting until you get it right" but, even the most ardent supporter of the leave campaign will have to admit that a binary in/out vote is way too vague for something as important as this.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Just come up on my Facebook feed

Nearly pissed myself laughing!Image

scutty

Post by scutty »

Sounds really democratic - whose lifetime sets the limits? When that person dies we then get another vote? When did the person die that set the once in a lifetime vote that took us into the EEC?

I'm sorry but to dictate that no one alive today will ever get a chance to change their minds or vote again is flat out dictatorship language.

The blatant truth is that leavers don't want a vote on the proposed outcome because they are sure they would lose.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

scutty wrote:Sounds really democratic - whose lifetime sets the limits? When that person dies we then get another vote? When did the person die that set the once in a lifetime vote that took us into the EEC?

I'm sorry but to dictate that no one alive today will ever get a chance to change their minds or vote again is flat our dictatorship language.

The blatant truth is that leavers don't want a vote on the proposed outcome because they are sure they would lose.
He probably meant it to give gravitas to the significance of the vote, not set a time limit. He might have said once in a generation.

That other spineless shit and arch remainer Blair agreed on TV yesterday morning that the natural justice way will be to implement Leave and respect the decision. Then if we don't like it, through the proper democratic process, have another vote about rejoining. A bit like Parliamentary elections.

Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Africa John wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:01 pm
scutty wrote:Sounds really democratic - whose lifetime sets the limits? When that person dies we then get another vote? When did the person die that set the once in a lifetime vote that took us into the EEC?

I'm sorry but to dictate that no one alive today will ever get a chance to change their minds or vote again is flat our dictatorship language.

He probably meant it to give gravitas to the significance of the vote, not set a time limit. He might have said once in a generation.

That other spineless shit and arch remainer Blair agreed on TV yesterday morning that the natural justice way will be to implement Leave and respect the decision. Then if we don't like it, through the proper democratic process, have another vote about rejoining. A bit like Parliamentary elections.

Leaving then asking to rejoin at a later date, really would finally trash our standing in the world community.

We have had a position within the EU that most others in the 27 envy. We are probably going to give that up. :cry:

Any future entry package will be far less advantageous.

I'm not surprised the prize f$ckwit Blair thinks that's ok :roll: :roll:

Return to “THE PUB”