Post by Hugh »

Me again,
Mess up.jpg
Mess up.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
TTFN
Scott_rider

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Scott_rider »

We had an interesting discussion in the pub last night about a second referendum. Someone said that we shouldn't have one because the majority voted OUT and it would be undemocratic to have another vote. But someone else pointed out that normally when you vote you usually get what you voted for straightaway, but so far we haven't. Someone else pointed out that if you vote for something and then it doesn't go to plan, or you don't get what you thought you were getting, that you have another vote due to public dissatisfaction or lack of confidence and everything changes. They listed the following general elections that were held close together to illustrate the point. Whichever side of the fence you're on, this seems a reasonable argument and precedent to me? :?

Short spaced general elections
February 1910 and January 1911
November 1922 and December 1923
May 1929 and October 1931
February 1950 and October 1951
February 1974 and October 1974
May 2015 and June 2017

(clearly they had a bit of help from Google and I googled it as well) :oops:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

garyboy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 pm so british standards on goods is going to drop as the uk cannot control what is coming into our country? after Brexit?

we cannot discern what is good or bad for us without a European looking over our shoulder ?

we must allow foreigners into our country just we trade with them, and they say so?

globalism can be good or can be bad or both .. depending how it is controlled by the uk, at our borders, ..
our borders
not shengen with its leaking `control`
Norway... are not in the EU. How does that work for them.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Norway spends a lot of time in the dark and they eat a lot of fish :roll:

Whereas, we are kept in the dark and produce a lot of mushrooms from what we are fed :lol:

TTFN
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Norway are part of the EEA, and as such, they have incorporated around 5000 of the 23,000 EU laws currently in force. They have free movement of people and they can move goods around the EEA without customs fees, excluding food and drink because that is subsidised by the EU.

Read that last bit again, food and drink is subsidised by the EU. Remove the subsidy and add customs fees and how much will your weekly food shop iincrease? Wait in line at the nearest food bank!
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

So after Sony, Panasonic, Dyson, and Philips we get this from Airbus: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46984229

That's a lot of coincidence, not entirely sure what all this celebratory bunting is for right now...

I have friends who work at Filton Airbus with young families. Which freedoms will they be feeling if we get no deal? More freedom during the day I guess :(
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Trev

Post by Trev »

Well it's happened, as a direct result of our decision to leave the EU, one of our major customers has pulled their business and placed it in France. We had already seen raw material price inceases of over £100k since the orginal vote and, more recently, a distinct slowdown in business, but this feels much more painful and real as it's not us having to surmise or seeing the cumulative effect of smaller changes, our customer clearly and categorically stated that the reason for moving the business is Brexit.

It's about £400k, 6% of our sales and a very profitable part of our business. It won't have an immediate effect on the number of people we employ here but, on top of the downturn we have already seen, it makes it almost certain that there will be no across the board increase in pay in April as we are usually able to do and any further, similar losses will mean looking very closely at numbers.

18% of our sales are (or was!) exported to Europe and that will be very difficult to replace with UK business, certainly in the short term as the UK economy slows. I genuinely hope we do not see a significant downturn as a result of our decision, I am most definitely NOT a doom-monger or pessimist (to be a business owner you have to be optimistic and proactive by nature otherwise you won't last more than a few months!) but for sure we are planning for the worst and hoping for the best at the moment. :x :x :x
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

AlanHolt wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:03 am Norway are part of the EEA, and as such, they have incorporated around 5000 of the 23,000 EU laws currently in force. They have free movement of people and they can move goods around the EEA without customs fees, excluding food and drink because that is subsidised by the EU.

Read that last bit again, food and drink is subsidised by the EU. Remove the subsidy and add customs fees and how much will your weekly food shop iincrease? Wait in line at the nearest food bank!
You´ll have to explain that to me again. Norway has protectionist tolls in place, but regulary get challenged by the EU.
Yes Norway are members of the EEA, but may as well be members of the EU. Because to trade with the EU they have to abide by there laws
and regulations. And regulary get taken to court by the EU for breach of freedom of movement/trade/whatever regulations.
Norway also has to pay subscriptions equivalent to the UK subscription (per capita).
So tell me again what the advantages of not being a member of the EU again...?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If you leave the EU, you get frictionless trading in unicorn horn and rocking horse manure with Mongolia.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

qcnr wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm So tell me again what the advantages of not being a member of the EU again...?
banging-head.gif
banging-head.gif (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1870 times
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “THE PUB”