EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson »

And if you thought the EU was good as wasting money, the Brexit Govt has opened a £500 million tendering process for designing a blue cover for British non-EU passports!
Richard Simpson

Old Git Ray wrote:
threepot wrote:Maybe 24months before we can buy a 2000 watt cleaner again (thumbs)
....and a friggin 4 slice toaster that toasts and not just dries out your bread. (thumbs)
I would rather you just used a grille to burn your breakfast.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

If anyone finds Richards Dummy - can they let him know via the message boards.

Thanks

:whistle:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Richard Simpson

:laugh:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Alan (Holt), you will make yourself ill with this total depression. I am genuinely worried about you from the tone of some of the last few posts.
I, and I am sure the vast majority of Brexiteers, wanted to see the end of UNCONTROLLED freedom of movement. The EU were not prepared to discuss it.

I certainly have no problem with the bulk of their workers over here or ours over there.
We do have the problem of the loafers and skivers (both European and British) and this is the chance to make our lazy slobs work and stop theirs just living off us, not with us.

A lack of future planning is also a problem. Brits sell up and run off to 'cheap' Spain, or elsewhere, realise they don't like it after a few years and find the UK housing market has passed them by so they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
My bother in law now lives in a Park Home since the Irish crash and the need for his wife to come back for medical reasons. He had a lovely west coast cottage with 1 1/2 acres but it was only worth £80k.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

DavidS wrote:Alan (Holt), you will make yourself ill with this total depression. I am genuinely worried about you from the tone of some of the last few posts.
I, and I am sure the vast majority of Brexiteers, wanted to see the end of UNCONTROLLED freedom of movement. The EU were not prepared to discuss it.

I certainly have no problem with the bulk of their workers over here or ours over there.
We do have the problem of the loafers and skivers (both European and British) and this is the chance to make our lazy slobs work and stop theirs just living off us, not with us.

A lack of future planning is also a problem. Brits sell up and run off to 'cheap' Spain, or elsewhere, realise they don't like it after a few years and find the UK housing market has passed them by so they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
My bother in law now lives in a Park Home since the Irish crash and the need for his wife to come back for medical reasons. He had a lovely west coast cottage with 1 1/2 acres but it was only worth £80k.
The reason I go on and on about it is because my life could be turned upside down because of brexit. 52% of people voted for....well what did they vote for? Nothing was proposed. There wasn't a definitive 'vote leave and this and this will happen'. Everyone who voted leave thinks that it will give them what they want, but as time goes on, its becoming clear thats not going to happen. I've said many times before, the UK could of remained in the EU and controlled immigration (the same way Spain and other countries do). The Government doesn't want to control immigration, so in or out, the government will still allow people in to the UK against the wishes of the 52%. So you voted for something you hoped would happen but which wasn't promised, and the result is that I have to live with a huge degree of uncertainty for the next 2 years, uncertain whether i'll be able to continue to live here, whether i'll be forced to sell my home and business at a loss, and all because you 'thought' your vote would change things! As soon as I know I can remain here, legally, I will stop going on, but as I don't, I won't.

And if you think Spain is a cheap place to live, you clearly haven't been here since they adopted the Euro. Land is cheap, but only because it's relatively unproductive, productive land is very expensive. Old property is cheap, but renovating it 'legally' isn't, Food isn't cheaper than the UK, but drinking water is. Fuel is cheaper than the UK, but owning and running a vehicle isn't.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

Farmers will be screwed, current Govt has promised eu levels of support until 2020(that's a big promise then) and if people have the choice of unlimited New Zealand lamb and Brazilian beef at cheap prices what do you think they will buy?

Love New Zealand lamb, but not at all interested in Brazilian beef.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

"since they adopted the Euro"

So... whilst arguing that Brexit is a terrible terrible thing, because its caused you some uncertainty.... You also recognize that the EU can bring real problems.

I assume that you moved to Spain, because you adore life in the UK? :blink:

Seriously though - genuine question - why not take dual citizenship?

I get that you might want to remain British - but why not end the uncertainty?

Several of my mates are now dual nationals - its not a big issue. Its ok to love two places - why not stop the worry?
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Philiptigerrice wrote:"since they adopted the Euro"

So... whilst arguing that Brexit is a terrible terrible thing, because its caused you some uncertainty.... You also recognize that the EU can bring real problems.
The benefits of being in the EU far outweigh the negatives. The EU didn't didn't cause Spain to become more expensive than it used to be. Adopting the Euro was optional. The problem was that some of the older generation were against it, and they didn't understand it (they still don't, you often get invoices with prices in Euros and Pesetas here). So one day a loaf of bread was priced at 100 peseta, the next day they didn't know how to calculate the exchange rate for everything, so they just changed the peseta sign to a Euro sign (100c = €1) and most things almost doubled in price overnight. €1 = 166esp
Philiptigerrice wrote: I assume that you moved to Spain, because you adore life in the UK? :blink:

Several of my mates are now dual nationals - its not a big issue. Its ok to love two places - why not stop the worry?
In order to apply for citizenship here, you first have to be legally resident for 10 years, and then sit and pass an exam in Spanish. We have been here over 2 years, but only been resident for 20 months. So I may never get the chance to become a spanish citizen, thanks to Brexit. And this echos posts from last year about how people didn't understand the seriousness of the referendum. If the EU expats are forced to move back to the UK, all demanding housing, jobs, healthcare, benefits etc, the UK will collapse, taxes will rise. Hey-ho, lets hope it never happens.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:
Philiptigerrice wrote:"since they adopted the Euro"

The benefits of being in the EU far outweigh the negatives. The EU didn't didn't cause Spain to become more expensive than it used to be. Adopting the Euro was optional. The problem was that some of the older generation were against it, and they didn't understand it (they still don't, you often get invoices with prices in Euros and Pesetas here). So one day a loaf of bread was priced at 100 peseta, the next day they didn't know how to calculate the exchange rate for everything, so they just changed the peseta sign to a Euro sign (100c = €1) and most things almost doubled in price overnight. €1 = 166esp
Philiptigerrice wrote: I assume that you moved to Spain, because you adore life in the UK? :blink:

In order to apply for citizenship here, you first have to be legally resident for 10 years, and then sit and pass an exam in Spanish. We have been here over 2 years, but only been resident for 20 months. So I may never get the chance to become a spanish citizen, thanks to Brexit. And this echos posts from last year about how people didn't understand the seriousness of the referendum. If the EU expats are forced to move back to the UK, all demanding housing, jobs, healthcare, benefits etc, the UK will collapse, taxes will rise. Hey-ho, lets hope it never happens.
Actually €1 = 186.386 ptas. Everyone in business or commerce at the time had to have a certificate to say that they knew the exchange so that they couldn't backhand their customers - that's why I have that figure ingrained in my memory ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “THE PUB”