moto al
AndyB

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by AndyB »

Help is out there (thumbs)
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Redmurty wrote: being in the union better, pry tell what union was that ? we were neither in or out we sat on the fence, and how could we make it better ? The EU has it's own agenda.
As we are still part of the EU, what is this agenda we are part of?
Redmurty wrote: Do you think that getting behind it all now is better for all or are you just going to let things go to rat shit and say told you so ?
I don't want Britain to leave the EU, so why should I help it to do so? Had the referendum gone the other way, you'd still want Britain to leave. The result of the vote doesn't change peoples minds.
Redmurty wrote: so unemployment across the EU at 10% is working ?
Is that the fault of the EU, or the fault of the global recession caused by banks losing money through lending too much money and subsequent mortgage defaults? You can of course blame the EU, but you would be wrong.
Redmurty wrote: Massive GDP debts is working ?
Is that because of my previous answer, or possibly because the rich insist on giving themselves more money whilst squeezing the poor dry. You could of course blame the EU for GDP debts, but you would be wrong.
Redmurty wrote: massive subsidies ? you mean British Tax payers money given back to them ?
Leaving the EU will cost the UK the same, but we won't get the subsidies. Do you think the government are going to magic some money to replace all these subsidies? If Britain left the EU and didn't continue to pay into it, do you think the government would subsidise projects outside of London in the same non-biased way the EU does? Do you think the government will say 'as we are no longer paying into the EU, you can all have a tax cut'! What planet are you on?
Redmurty wrote: and it appears lot of people in the EU are unhappy it's just that the UK has done something about or is at least trying. 40 plus years of the EU that and their end game was tighter integration and the end to nationalism by creating a bigger nation.

cheers Spud ;)
What utter (Daily Mail) rubbish. One big nation eh? So which one language are all 26 countries agreed will be one spoken language of this one big nation? And I suppose we'll have one big currency eh? And Britain will be made to drive on the right? Or will the 25 other countries be made to drive on the left? We'll need one big set of laws, that everyone agrees on once everyone involved is fluent enough in the one big language to understand them.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Redmurty wrote:it appears they can take us into an illegal war and no one gives a shite, yet go to a referendum with a clear majority and they can action it :whistle:

I wonder will we get a referendum for the next war or will it go before the judges :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Hopefully the next war will go before Parliament just like David Cameron did when he lost the Syria vote in 2013.

He could have just used Prerogative powers and done it off his own back, but he knew the British public were fed up of borderline criminal dictators thinking they knew best and taking us to war against our will.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

moto al wrote:
Scott_rider wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:

No! The courts aren't part of the government, nor would you ever want them to be, that's how it works in a dictatorship, not a democracy. You can't have politicians being above the law.

Could you trust that lot to operate in your best interests if the law wasn't there to protect you?

"The Government will implement what you decide" is no different to you promising your kids a million quid for xmas. It was a promise they should never have made because they were not in a position legally to follow it through.
Just so I'm clear...are you saying, legally, that it's right that 40 Welsh MP's and 59 Scottish MP's could effectively scupper the whole EU exit by defeating a vote in parliament put forward by the UK Government and that vote was put forward in the first place because 52% of the public who voted, voted to leave...? That doesn't seem like democracy to me... :dry:
just too enlighten you and other of the populous , Scotland has a completely different legal system .based on Roman law ,unfortunately English law is based on Norman law , and are a few century's behind . Right or wrong , Scotland has a legal case . That's what you call democracy,.... (thumbs) (thumbs)
As if I needed enlightened to Scottish law being a Scot myself. Errm... Thanks Al

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I could be wrong but I suspect that all the EU countries may have different ways of counting their unemployed. I know ours was changed about 30 times under thatcher and if we used the same way of counting it as we did in 79 I would imagine it would be much higher than 10%. Maybe someone on here has got all the figures but I wonder where we would come in an EU table of, GDP, debt, unemployment etc. Other interesting statistics would be around education, health care and happiness.
I really don't know the answers to any of these but one of the reasons that I am in favour of staying in the EU is that when I have travelled in other European countries they seem to have a better quality of life and I always hoped that maybe being in the EU would help that transfer over here.
Cheers Jak
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

moto al wrote:just too enlighten you and other of the populous
Ooohh the site troll has come out from under his bridge!

Thank you Saint Al for your words of wisdom hath been absent for too long and we have fallen unto darkness without your sanctimonious outpourings of enlightenment

Brothers, Saint Al will lead us into the Light again (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm still a bit lost regarding the reasons why anyone is still upset about the fact that they're going to discuss Article 50 before triggering it. The Tories have an overall majority, they're not going to lose a vote on this one so why waste taxpayers money on this appeal?

Someone should also take Nicola Sturgeon to one side and gently explain to her that the majority of Scottish voters wanted to remain a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Now I know most people take it for granted that we all understand what the UK is and that though we live in individual countries within the UK we still have to accept that decisions affecting everyone will be made by the government of the UK and that we (the voters) elected that government to represent us as a whole. Unless there's been a fundamental change in the make up of the UK why does Sturgeon think her minority say in the Houses of Parliament is going to make the slightest bit of difference to how the Goverment is going to act?

I'd still sooner we were remaining in the EU but that ship has sailed now and petty bickering is helping nobody.
-Ralph-

EU. In or out?

Post by -Ralph- »

Slight problem there Andy is Scotland didn't vote for the UK Government, they voted by a huge landslide for the SNP, but even then it wasn't enough to get even a coalition government.

All the Scottish people have is representatives in Parliament.

That along with a majority who voted voting to remain, yet we are leaving the EU.

So the democratic deficit Scotland is living under is quite severe. They can't effect change in the UK through voting, they just don't have enough people or parliamentary seats.

You are correct however that Sturgeon and the SNP will be ignored in Westminster, so that means the Scottish people via thier elected representatives will also be ignored.

They are basically living in a semi dictatorship where they will just do as they are told.

You can't expect people in that situation not to make a noise.

And that democratic deficit was not as obvious in 2014, we've had a general election and a referendum since then.

midlife

Post by midlife »

Africa John wrote:
Brothers, Saint Al will lead us into the Light again (thumbs)

Just as soon as he has sobered up. Tedious little man.

Return to “THE PUB”